General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adamo hate fest Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-05 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Adamo hate fest
I've read so many threads on how Adamo saved people's lives you'd think the damn things moonlighted as volunteer firemen. Balance is required in life, this is a yin to the yang of ISM love. I rode a Profile Design Tri Stryke saddle for 3 years. I don't know what prompted me to try an Adamo, but I didn't *really* suffer from the numbness issue that seems to be the bane of everyone's existence. Could I get numbness from time to time? Sure, but not every time. It usually goes away in a minute, and I already have enough kids, so it didn't bother me. I guess I thought the occasional comfort shift from one 'side' to the other was a nuisance? Besides, everyone has one so it has to be cool, right?

Got myself a Road, and YES I fitted it properly, sat out on the nose, changed the pitch worked with it. I tried it for 3 or 4 months. MONTHS. Not weeks. The ISM champions will tell you it takes a 'few rides' to get right with. I did a lot more than that. I gave it every chance. I, the great lover of bicycles, who gets teary eyed thinking of riding, let alone orgasmic when actually riding....started to hate my bike. NOOOOOOOOOO! I thought, oh gee I am sitting right where I should be, I have all this "comfort" now. Ignored a lot of obvious discomfort. The dang thing is too wide, and I got pain - not chafing, that's an entirely different thing which I didn't get at all - in my upper groin. A dull, consistent pain. And then my knee started to feel balky for the first time EVER. I'm just weak, suffering through a build phase, I told myself. Yeah.

For giggles, I threw the Tri Stryke back on. Kids, it was like sitting on a sofa. Did I mention my power output went up with it? Of course it did, because nothing HURT.

I'm going to be fair to the world and try and trade the Road for a Prologue, which is supposedly narrower, but I think it just won't work. I already got something that's good, I shouldn't be gambling with pain.

Throw your flaming paper bags of poo at ISM on this thread.

2014-04-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Adamo hate fest
Saddles are very specific to the person. Kind of like running shoes. 1 or 2 piece tri suits, chevy or ford.

What works for you might not for several others. At the end of the day, don't fix what is not broken and it sounds like your PD Stryke was never broken.

I went to ISM road and have seen improvements in speed comfort and am able to stay in the saddle longer.
2014-04-05 10:58 AM
in reply to: trying2swim

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
well duh. But this is the hate thread. Save your love for the myriad others.
2014-04-05 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I didn't like the road model on my tri bike either. It was too wide to get comfortable for me. Recently switched to the attack and couldn't be happier. I think it was the narrowest saddle they make.
2014-04-05 1:29 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Moral of the story: If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

I was one of those that was saved by the Adamo. Then I bought a P2, figured I'd give the stock Fizik Arione Tri 2 a try, then switch to the Adamo if it was uncomfortable. The Fizik turned out to be the most comfortable saddle I ever had for an aero position, so I never changed.

2014-04-05 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by fisherman76

The dang thing is too wide, and I got pain ....

I'm going to be fair to the world and try and trade the Road for a Prologue, which is supposedly narrower, but I think it just won't work..

Yes the Road is too wide for me too. I have the Prologue and it's quite nice. Plus I did pull in the fork a bit with zip-ties (Prologue), and have done quite a few races on it no problem.

2014-04-05 2:20 PM

User image

Originally posted by fisherman76 well duh. But this is the hate thread. Save your love for the myriad others.

LOL.  I'm with ya brother.    Tried a prologue and even an attack.  For many many miles.   Even raced a 70.3 on the attack.   Every ride I'd end up with painful saddle sores, seat just hit me in the wrong place.   I was looking to get rid of numbness, so it was important.   Also tried a sitero, didn't work.  Finally got a tritone and that is the one for me! 

Adamo sucks!     (for me...)

2014-04-05 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4977043

User image

You stuck with it for months. That's amazing. Trying the Adamo was the longest week of my riding life. Went back to the Evo Roman ... Happy happy happy.
2014-04-05 9:50 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

One of my tri buddies has an Adamo, and swears by it. His enthusiasm got me to try it.

It was like sitting on a pasta claw. I sold it on ebay after one ride.
2014-04-07 9:53 AM
in reply to: modiolus

In my fitting they had an Adamo on the bike. Hated it! Swapped it out for a Cobb and liked it much better.
2014-04-07 10:15 AM

User image

Oakville

For giggles, I threw the Tri Stryke back on. Kids, it was like sitting on a sofa. Did I mention my power output went up with it? Of course it did, because nothing HURT. I'm going to be fair to the world and try and trade the Road for a Prologue, which is supposedly narrower, but I think it just won't work. I already got something that's good, I shouldn't be gambling with pain. Throw your flaming paper bags of poo at ISM on this thread.

I've been using the Adamo Road for over a year now and although I don't hate it I can't say I love it either.  There are days that I like it and others that I just tolerate it, but I've never hit the point where I've had consistently comfortable rides.

I've stuck with it because I've been able to handle 1.5 hour rides on the trainer with the Adamo where, previously, the stock Felt B16 saddle would be unbearable after about 45 minutes.

I've read many positive reviews about the Tri Stryke and may give it a go.

Question for Fisherman and any other males out there using the Tri Stryke - while in aero are your sit bones/perineum directly over the notch or do you ride more aggressively on the padded nose of the saddle?  If on the nose, do you sit to one side to give a little extra relief for your perineum?

2014-04-07 10:16 AM
in reply to: wannatri?

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I'd like to thank all you that bought an ISM saddle without looking for a demo so others (I) could buy it newly used for 1/2 price! 

(a former Race now Prologue user)

2014-04-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I don't necessarily hate Adamo, but when I bought my bike I thought this seat looked cool:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1102477_-1...

45 bucks and it was white. Smack that sucker onto a bike that costs a few thousand. sounds legit, right? I didn't know what the heck I was doing, I think it's fair to say that.

BUT

I rode the heck out of it as soon as I got it. freaking amazing. I hadn't even conditioned properly and rode a 75 mile-ish ride shortly after getting it and had absolutely NO issues. Maybe I got lucky, I dunno, I can't imagine this seat will be around forever, maybe I should buy a couple more. I mean, seriously, $45? With all the headaches I read about people going through seats every few hundred miles because they are so painful it makes me think that I should just get a few more.

Best of luck to you in your saddle endeavors!!!
2014-04-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: wannatri?

User image

Originally posted by wannatri?

In my fitting they had an Adamo on the bike. Hated it! Swapped it out for a Cobb and liked it much better.

Ditto. The adamo was way too widein the nose.
2014-04-07 3:46 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Donto

I'd like to thank all you that bought an ISM saddle without looking for a demo so others (I) could buy it newly used for 1/2 price! 

(a former Race now Prologue user)

Ha! Ditto!

I'm an Adamo fan, but I know that everyone is different. 

Also, I've had to retire at least one pair of cycling shorts that don't work with the wide nose.

2014-05-20 2:44 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

Veteran
Originally posted by bigevilgrape

Originally posted by wannatri?

Ditto. The adamo was way too widein the nose.

ditto to the ditto. too wide, even after the LBS told me everyone uses the twist ties thing to pinch in the nose and make it more narrow. now why would I buy a saddle that everyone expects to have to alter?

yes, I contributed to the cheap adamo saddles sales because bike came with it and it sucked. i'm not a huge fan of cobb either, but at least it's only some hurt, not a lot of hurt.

2014-05-20 3:05 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Adamo can lick my hairy ba......

I love my Fzik.  Nuff said. 

2014-05-20 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Love my ISM Road and will never go back. Sit on sit bones (and i'm a boney butt! ) can go all day.
2014-05-20 3:30 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Denver, Colorado
What a horrific hunk of junk. Not even worth a full ride. Rented one form the LBS & 10 seconds in the saddle and it reminded me of an entire childhood's worth of spankings. My arse has never felt such discomfort.

Just absolutely the worst. I had such high hopes too. So bad. Terrible. Just terrible.
2014-05-20 3:38 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by Scott71

There are days that I like it and others that I just tolerate it, but I've never hit the point where I've had consistently comfortable rides.

I've stuck with it because I've been able to handle 1.5 hour rides on the trainer with the Adamo where, previously, the stock Felt B16 saddle would be unbearable after about 45 minutes.

Good grief...you managed 45 minutes in the Felt B16 stock saddle? That thing is the DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adamo hate fest Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dirtrag Dirt Fest.

Started by husse23
Views: 617 Posts: 4

2013-05-02 4:37 PM Hugh in TX

BMC Drool fest.

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 1438 Posts: 13

2011-09-22 2:53 PM tri808

Saddles: Adamo Race vs Adamo Road

Started by TXGreyhoundGuy
Views: 955 Posts: 10

2009-06-22 3:17 PM Experior

Women's Fest 5K/10K, Chicago, IL

Started by instigator
Views: 496 Posts: 2

2005-07-29 9:15 PM swimmom2002

Venetian Fest in St. Joseph, MI

Started by cerveloP3
Views: 381 Posts: 1

2005-07-12 6:16 AM cerveloP3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2007
author : dawnieruns
comments : 2
It's funny, there are so many people who hate even the thought of running, or even of jogging slowly! I can't imagine my life without it.

date : January 7, 2007
author : medic0020
comments : 5
From a Hate-Hate Relationship to a Love-Hate Relationship
date : October 1, 2006
author : marmadaddy
comments : 0
After a while on my first longish ride, I noticed that I was getting numb. It’s scary. “Will feeling return?” is the first thing that comes to mind.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
comments : 0
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.