General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-06 12:38 AM

Subject: OWS?
Anywhere in SE PA that is good for open water swim practice. Most of the local clinics are at times that don't jive well with my somewhat unpredictable work schedule. Have a friend with a kayak who will buddy with me, but not sure where to go. Anybody have practice spots they like?

2014-04-06 12:57 PM
in reply to: mgk

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: OWS?
Midatlantic MultiSports holds OWS clinics at March Creek in Downingtown. Some are weekday evenings and some are weekends. I think they are $20/event and you can buy a season pass at a discount.

http://midatlanticmultisport.com/

2014-04-07 1:56 PM

Ardmore
I've attended the Mid Atlantic events and they are well done.

Also, in Medford NJ, there is a group that holds open water swims.

http://www.etacoach.com/openwaterswim.php

Marc
2014-04-08 9:17 AM

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Yeah, I hit up the ETA swims in Medford as much as possible.

I'm definitely there every Saturday morning and this year he is even adding Sunday mornings as well. The Thursday afternoons are a little hard to get too, but I try!

2014-04-10 9:23 AM
in reply to: kdandrea

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Im a 3rd for the Medford, NJ ETA swims. I don't get there as much as I would like, but its very well run and tons of nice roads in that area if you want to bring your bike or running shoes. Highly recommend it
2014-04-11 12:26 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Blue Marsh Lake up in Reading allows swimming, so if you have someone in a kayak you can go up anytime you want and swim. There are groups that organize on weekend morning sometimes, to do swim/bikes out of there. I know there is a specific parking area that is good for, but don't know the name.

2014-05-03 5:27 PM

User image

Delco, PA

I'll be a 4th to those ETA Swims in Medford.  I went to one for the first time this morning and thought it was great.  Nice area/set-up there and signing in was very simple.

I was there alone, and while getting ready, the head coach of ETA Jason Kilderry came to me and we talked for a while.  He was very helpful, and I didn't even need to ask for any help.

I'll definitely be there every week I can from now on.

2014-05-05 2:27 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Pro

Originally posted by C_Hassard

I'll be a 4th to those ETA Swims in Medford.  I went to one for the first time this morning and thought it was great.  Nice area/set-up there and signing in was very simple.

I was there alone, and while getting ready, the head coach of ETA Jason Kilderry came to me and we talked for a while.  He was very helpful, and I didn't even need to ask for any help.

I'll definitely be there every week I can from now on.

Also chime in for the ETA swims and give a very positive plug for Jason.

2014-05-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Yeah, I'm actually working with Jason as my coach. Great guy. Always willing to help someone out with information or advice.

This week the swims are actually both Saturday and Sunday mornings!
2014-05-08 3:22 PM

User image

for the ETA swims in Medford, is it necessary to have a wetsuit right now? (I hope thats not too silly of a question -- I am training for my first tri, the NJ State Triathlon, and I'd like to get some OWS practice and maybe even go to one of the clinics, but don't currently own a wetsuit and am not sure if I want to invest in one.)
2014-05-09 8:14 AM
in reply to: jolinebean

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jolinebean for the ETA swims in Medford, is it necessary to have a wetsuit right now? (I hope thats not too silly of a question -- I am training for my first tri, the NJ State Triathlon, and I'd like to get some OWS practice and maybe even go to one of the clinics, but don't currently own a wetsuit and am not sure if I want to invest in one.)

I would say definitely. It was 62 degrees last I heard. The lake is shallow, and heats up quickly, but that's COLD.

2014-05-09 11:36 AM
in reply to: jolinebean

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Yeah, it's starting to warm up, but it is still in the low 60's as far as temperature.

I'm doing it in a sleeveless wet suit, but it is still a wet suit..............

2014-05-10 7:13 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kdandrea Yeah, it's starting to warm up, but it is still in the low 60's as far as temperature. I'm doing it in a sleeveless wet suit, but it is still a wet suit..............

Let us know how it is. According to their FB page it's 64-65. I can't go today, and tomorrow I m doing the Komen's run with my family, but I need to get out there before Hammonton on the 24th.

2014-05-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Delco, PA

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by kdandrea Yeah, it's starting to warm up, but it is still in the low 60's as far as temperature. I'm doing it in a sleeveless wet suit, but it is still a wet suit..............

Let us know how it is. According to their FB page it's 64-65. I can't go today, and tomorrow I m doing the Komen's run with my family, but I need to get out there before Hammonton on the 24th.

I was there this morning and the water felt great.  It was indeed 64 degrees when I got there.  The air temperature helped too, of course.  It was definitely a nice morning to swim there.

2014-05-10 1:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by C_Hassard

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I was there this morning and the water felt great.  It was indeed 64 degrees when I got there.  The air temperature helped too, of course.  It was definitely a nice morning to swim there.

Thanks. I've been going ever since they moved it from Wenonah. This lake is much nicer. If I don't do this TI swim clinic in Newtown Square, I'll be there next weekend. Look for me in a T3 tri club onesie and Desoto wetsuit.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2014-05-10 1:28 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS? Rss Feed