General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new tri bike - sore neck, sore butt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-06 4:47 AM

Shanghai, China, Unknown
Subject: new tri bike - sore neck, sore butt
So I finally broke down and bought a tri bike (Specialized Shiv Elite), up to now I've been riding a fixed gear bike. I had a fitting and was pretty happy with how it went. I rode the bike for 1 hr 30 minutes yesterday and 2 hours today... both days my butt and neck were killing me! On my fixed gear bike, I sat in a pretty upright position and had a cushie seat. The aero position and hard seat is new to me, so I am hoping this a normal adjustment phase... can anyone advise if this is normal or I need to think about making adjustments?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Rob

2014-04-06 6:36 AM
in reply to: robdmac167

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: new tri bike - sore neck, sore butt

Originally posted by robdmac167 So I finally broke down and bought a tri bike (Specialized Shiv Elite), up to now I've been riding a fixed gear bike. I had a fitting and was pretty happy with how it went. I rode the bike for 1 hr 30 minutes yesterday and 2 hours today... both days my butt and neck were killing me! On my fixed gear bike, I sat in a pretty upright position and had a cushie seat. The aero position and hard seat is new to me, so I am hoping this a normal adjustment phase... can anyone advise if this is normal or I need to think about making adjustments? Thanks in advance for the advice! Rob

Based on the bold, I'd say you just overdid things a bit.  I'm surprised you could get out of bed and brush your own teeth the third morning.  

To make such a radical change, then ride 1:30 and 2:00 the next two days is asking a lot of your body.  My suggestion is shorter rides until your body adapts to the new position and saddle.  If you're still having problems after a couple weeks, then look at adjusting the fit and/or a different saddle.

Congratulations on the new bike!

2014-04-06 6:44 AM

User image

Going off what little info we have here, I would say you will be fine. There is going to be and adjustment period to riding in aero position. Particularly with your neck from looking forward from that position. Give it a few weeks.
2014-04-06 7:24 AM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Having a sore butt may suggest you need a different seat. Lots of us have gone to Adamo, but there are haters out there (yeah, that's your Fisherman) The sore neck is par for the course on riding in aero, give it time you get your lats and traps to get used to it.
2014-04-06 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Okay, I realize this is probably a dumb question, but it's a mistake I made early on, as pretty much all my previous biking was on MTB's and later on on my road bike out in the tropical sunlight--Did you take the visor off your helmet? If not, do so. That really, really makes a difference in the happiness of your neck when riding in aero! If that's not the issue, break in gradually, and check your fit if things don't improve in 2-3 weeks.

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-04-06 7:50 AM
2014-04-06 5:50 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Shanghai, China, Unknown
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take the advice and shorten the distances for a few weeks to see how it goes.

The 1:30 and 2:00 rides are my normal weekend rides (actually 3:00 is normal, my butt was too sore to complete the last hour) ... it never dawned on me that there would be an "adjustment period" with the new bike and riding position! Yet another newbie miscalculation!

One other small issue... my quads were completely worn out by the second day. I am guessing the riding position also effects the muscle groups being used?

Rob

2014-04-06 5:56 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Shanghai, China, Unknown
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Okay, I realize this is probably a dumb question, but it's a mistake I made early on, as pretty much all my previous biking was on MTB's and later on on my road bike out in the tropical sunlight--Did you take the visor off your helmet? If not, do so. That really, really makes a difference in the happiness of your neck when riding in aero! If that's not the issue, break in gradually, and check your fit if things don't improve in 2-3 weeks.

Hot Runner,
On my first 1:30 ride I found out about the visor the hard way. As soon as I got home I cut the visor off.

Rob
2014-04-06 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
You'll develop "biker butt" after some more time in the saddle. Even I get sore when off the bike for a period of time.
2014-04-06 7:11 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Aero will put a bit more of the work on your quads, but this sounds like it may be a bit of bike-specific conditioning. my man,
2014-04-06 7:43 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Oysterboy Aero will put a bit more of the work on your quads, but this sounds like it may be a bit of bike-specific conditioning. my man,

Not with a proper fit.

The first thing I'd check is if the saddle is too low.

2014-04-06 7:54 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Austin

Originally posted by Hot Runner Okay, I realize this is probably a dumb question, but it's a mistake I made early on, as pretty much all my previous biking was on MTB's and later on on my road bike out in the tropical sunlight--Did you take the visor off your helmet? If not, do so. That really, really makes a difference in the happiness of your neck when riding in aero! If that's not the issue, break in gradually, and check your fit if things don't improve in 2-3 weeks.

I just went and removed my visor, You would think someone would have mentioned this sooner.

I only got the areo bars last season and my neck was sore a ton.

2014-04-07 5:57 AM

User image

Champion
MA

How was the bike set up? Did you have a proper bike fit? What did the fitter say about the adaptation period?

New position takes maybe 500 miles to adjust to especially if significantly different than your old position which seems the case here.

2014-04-07 7:38 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by robdmac167 So I finally broke down and bought a tri bike (Specialized Shiv Elite), up to now I've been riding a fixed gear bike. I had a fitting and was pretty happy with how it went. I rode the bike for 1 hr 30 minutes yesterday and 2 hours today... both days my butt and neck were killing me! On my fixed gear bike, I sat in a pretty upright position and had a cushie seat. The aero position and hard seat is new to me, so I am hoping this a normal adjustment phase... can anyone advise if this is normal or I need to think about making adjustments? Thanks in advance for the advice! Rob

Based on the bold, I'd say you just overdid things a bit.  I'm surprised you could get out of bed and brush your own teeth the third morning.  

To make such a radical change, then ride 1:30 and 2:00 the next two days is asking a lot of your body.  My suggestion is shorter rides until your body adapts to the new position and saddle.  If you're still having problems after a couple weeks, then look at adjusting the fit and/or a different saddle.

Congratulations on the new bike!

^^^ this- you need time to get use to the new position. It may take a 3 or 4 weeks for you butt to get used to it. Your neck too, there are muscles that are needed to support your head bobbing around that you never used before. This all takes time to build up and get used to.
2014-04-07 6:40 PM
in reply to: mike761

Shanghai, China, Unknown
I think the bike fit was good, the guy seemed to know what he was doing (this comes from my vast bike fitting knowledge... i.e. next to nothing). At this point, I am assuming the fit was good, just need more time in the saddle like most of you suggested.

Thanks again for the comments!

Rob
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new tri bike - sore neck, sore butt Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sore neck from tri bike...

Started by gvmhlal
Views: 5338 Posts: 11

2011-03-23 9:26 PM cjj

Hurt, too sore, or just the right amount of sore..I need your wisdom

Started by pga_mike
Views: 962 Posts: 2

2009-10-07 8:37 PM jvanis

Neck gets sore when biking...

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1663 Posts: 10

2009-09-11 9:22 AM BurghGuy

Sore Butt From Biking Pages: 1 2

Started by SCD44
Views: 4357 Posts: 29

2009-08-22 10:49 AM newbz

How sore it too sore?

Started by la_guerita
Views: 1519 Posts: 20

2006-02-10 6:54 PM element
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : November 3, 2008
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.
date : June 4, 2008
The bottom of my feet, more specifically the arches, have been sore off an on for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried? Anything I should do to prevent this?

date : August 7, 2007
Yesterday I ran 10 miles. At mile 7 it started feeling sore. At mile 9.5 I got a shooting pain and walked the last 1/2 mile. I have a half Ironman to do in a week and a half. What are my chances?
date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : January 29, 2006
Apparently I have tendonitis in my left shoulder and will start PT next week. Are there drills/ strokes that I can do that won't keep my shoulder from healing?
date : January 1, 2006
I have a marathon scheduled for Dec. 4th but I woke up this morning and the tendon on the back of my leg (behind the Knee) is really sore.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.