General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Pace Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-06 5:50 PM

User image

Subject: Marathon Pace Question
I know, this is a Tri forum, but I don't subscribe to a Marathon forum and I don't have friends that are marathoners. I know many of you do or have done marathons. Please be nice to me!

I am training for a HIM in June with aspirations to do Wisconsin IM in 2015. To stay in shape and motivated, I also signed up for my 2nd marathon in October 2014 (I did the same one in Oct 2013).

I have been doing a lot of reading about speed training and training faster to improve your times. Last year I averaged 10 minutes per mile in the marathon. Yesterday, I did 3 miles at 8 min/mile and was huffing it pretty good. Today I did 10 miles at 8:45/mile and felt solid the whole time (but glad to be done at the end).

With 6 months before the marathon, what do you think is a reasonable goal I should set for marathon race day?

2014-04-06 10:28 PM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: RE: Marathon Pace Question
my advice is, forget about setting a outcome goal for the marathon for now.

you can do all the training and focus on process goal. commit to a plan and stick to it. and see how the training goes. in the weeks leading up to the race, you will see how much you progress and you will have a better clue of what kind of time you can acheive on race day.

but to set a time goal right now isnt something that help much or is productive. Process goal is what can make you fast, improve and be on the right track and for most athletes...make the process a lot more enjoyable while learning to get faster/fitter.
2014-04-06 11:05 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yep, way too early to be thinking about a goal race pace this early in your training.  In fact, I had a marathon this weekend and was asking the same question the day before the race.  Best to gauge your current fitness and research safe, reasonable paces to guide your training paces.  There are a lot of resources out there.  I'm partial to Jack Daniel's running philosophy and training plans but there are many others..

2014-04-06 11:53 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

, Jawa Barat
I am just partial to Jack Daniels.
2014-04-08 10:36 PM
in reply to: JoshuaBlackburn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I like Jack Daniel's stuff and have trained for past races using the book "Run Less, Run Faster" which uses the same pace tables.  Paces are typically based off a recent 5k.  The plans in the book are triathlete friendly with three days of quality running and 2-3 cross training days (read:  bike/swim).  You'll find the plans to be very detailed and well thought out. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Pace Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

looking for stand alone half marathon pacing chart vs HIM run pacing

Started by wstchstrTriathlete
Views: 4334 Posts: 12

2010-03-28 9:28 PM gerald12

Question what pace should my long run be?

Started by sandybeach
Views: 2488 Posts: 21

2010-01-12 9:39 AM JohnnyKay

IMLP Cycling pace question

Started by stchase34
Views: 1343 Posts: 12

2009-05-29 2:11 PM stchase34

Picking the right pace for a Marathon

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1235 Posts: 4

2007-09-17 9:17 PM Birkierunner

IM Marathon goal pace

Started by bostic
Views: 1397 Posts: 15

2007-08-23 4:42 PM zia_cyclist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.