General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim start strategy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-07 1:02 AM

Subject: Swim start strategy
Is this OK? I swam a slightly different line in the swim in yesterday’s pursuit Tri. Instead of swimming with the masses, I swam slightly to the left of them, heading directly for the buoy, as opposed to the right of it. This allowed me to swim freely and not get caught up in the washing machine. Then as I approached the buoy I changed my angle to allow me to get round it, so I probably had to swim a little bit longer, but I had a free run. The swim leg was clockwise. It worked very well. Anything wrong with that?

photo Untitled_zpse1467db8.png

Edited by zedzded 2014-04-07 1:11 AM

2014-04-07 9:14 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: RE: Swim start strategy
it depend of your experience level

-Fast swimmer go for the shortest line
-skill open water swimmers go for shortest line and make sure to draft and never been in open calm water

people that are newer, don't have the same skill/might be nervous etc.... look for calm water to do there own things. Nothing wrong with this.

but learning the Art of open water swimming could allow you to go faster by jumping in someone's feet that are faster than you. That is what we call a free ride.

you didn't get a free ride at all...you had to pay for every meter you swam!

so, practice getting better at swimming with others, drafting, navigating etc.... and if you don't feel confident yet.... find some calm water in the mean time as you did yesterday.
2014-04-07 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

If your strategy worked for you, then great.

I assume that you made a left turn around the right side of the first buoy.  I'm just a MOP swimmer at best, but my strategy would have been to stay wide to the right of the pack and then continue to stay wide around the first buoy where the pack always tends to bunch up. 

I like to be able to get into a smooth rhythm at the start which is tough to do if you're fighting through the middle of the "washing machine".  It burns a lot energy banging around and dodging other swimmers.  I prefer to stay clear early and then start pushing harder once the pack starts to thin out.   

Of course if I were a FOP swimmer, then I'd be hauling a** at the start to get clear right away.  

Mark

2014-04-07 11:49 AM

User image

Whether there was anything wrong with it depends on how you did

2014-04-07 1:07 PM

User image

No. Sometimes clean water can be a good thing. If you are stressed about contact, this is a very good thing. To save time drafting in the water takes practice. Maybe find a swim partner and practice drafting in the pool.
2014-04-07 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
As others have said, if it worked for you - then stick with it.

The only problem I can see is if you had to go to the right of the buoy to make a left - this will put you smack-dab in (typically) the most congested portion of the swim. In my experience, around turn buoys the width of the swim field will compress in the turn - the closer you are to the buoy, the tighter the pack gets. After the turn, the field will once again spread out. For this reason, if someone is looking to avoid the churn, I suggest they start on left if the first turn is to the right or start on the right if the first turn is to the left. This allows the to stay "outside" at the first turn.

2014-04-07 6:17 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

Originally posted by jonnyo

it depend of your experience level

-Fast swimmer go for the shortest line
-skill open water swimmers go for shortest line and make sure to draft and never been in open calm water

people that are newer, don't have the same skill/might be nervous etc.... look for calm water to do there own things. Nothing wrong with this.

but learning the Art of open water swimming could allow you to go faster by jumping in someone's feet that are faster than you. That is what we call a free ride.

you didn't get a free ride at all...you had to pay for every meter you swam!

so, practice getting better at swimming with others, drafting, navigating etc.... and if you don't feel confident yet.... find some calm water in the mean time as you did yesterday.

No it's not a confidence thing, I don't mind starting off with the masses, but I find the start really whacks me. If a swim leg goes well, I'm normally top 5, but invariably when I caught up with the rugby scrum I get tired, lose my rhythm etc and end up in the middle of the pack.
2014-04-07 6:26 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Originally posted by RedCorvette

If your strategy worked for you, then great.

I assume that you made a left turn around the right side of the first buoy.  I'm just a MOP swimmer at best, but my strategy would have been to stay wide to the right of the pack and then continue to stay wide around the first buoy where the pack always tends to bunch up. 

I like to be able to get into a smooth rhythm at the start which is tough to do if you're fighting through the middle of the "washing machine".  It burns a lot energy banging around and dodging other swimmers.  I prefer to stay clear early and then start pushing harder once the pack starts to thin out.   

Of course if I were a FOP swimmer, then I'd be hauling a** at the start to get clear right away.  

Mark

Yup turned left around the right side of the buoy. I think I came round in about 4th or 5th so there wasn't too much congestion. I've tried going flat out from the start, but a few times I've gone too hard, had to slow down, got caught by swimmers behind and then things have gone pear-shaped. I do need to learn to draft. I've been trying, but its not as simple as it sounds. Swam behind someone at the weekend, but then they were going a bit slow, found someone else, but they kept on veering off course. It was only a 750m swim and the conditions were quite choppy. I think if it was a 70.3 or IM swim in flat conditions it may have been a bit more conducive to drafting. I've got a 70.3 in 4 weeks so I'll hopefully I'll get some drafting opportunities. I'm looking to employ the same strategy though, swim inside the buoys. At least for the first 500m.
2014-04-08 7:15 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
My first tri, I started way outside of the mass, I know I am a strong swimmer, and didn't know what the others level would be, I probably swam an extra 75-150 yds. I was the first 15 or so out of the water. By the time I hit the turn I had positioned myself to take the straight line back. I have found since, to get to the line early and just let myself stay in front.
2014-04-08 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Sounds like a good strategy to me given the circumstances. Half the battle is swimming straight and if you're swimming straight and smooth, that would probably be more important than a less than perfect angle on the first buoy. As others have said, you lose any drafting, but again, if you're swimming crooked and not well, that's less important.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim start strategy Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Strategy for a reverse age-group swim start?

Started by fishonabike
Views: 1450 Posts: 12

2012-08-17 4:25 PM Exige

IMLP swim start tips or any 2500+ mass swim start tips...if any Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 4403 Posts: 30

2013-09-07 12:41 PM FELTGood

MASSIVE Mass Swim Start Strategy Pages: 1 2

Started by TriAya
Views: 1866 Posts: 27

2012-03-01 10:33 PM sand101

Swim starts for 140.6 always mass start?

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1333 Posts: 12

2012-01-11 3:44 PM FELTGood

Time Trial Swim Starts vs Mass or Wave starts

Started by browncd
Views: 2378 Posts: 13

2008-03-06 4:09 PM bhoover10001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Abitaman #3 swim triathlon wallpaper provided by tri_it_cajun_style.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.