General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron distance kit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-07 1:31 PM

Subject: Iron distance kit
Got my first iron distance race mid May in Texas. So i dont plan on wearing a wetsuit.

What do I wear? I'm being extra girly about it too. I've "made up my mind" about 258 times.

I currently have a Pearl Izumi tri suit with the stand alone bra (in my mind, this fixes the bathroom problem, a little)

I don't really like the idea of changing completely at each transition (struggling out of a 1piece bathing suit, and jamming a wet body into bike shorts is not super fun for me, or anyone, and then stripping down again to put on run shorts...ugh i just dont like that idea)
and after trying on all of the 2 piece tri kits at my local store, I had even made up my mind less, and decided the Tri suit felt the best anyway. However, i'm still pretty nervous about it.. will i regret wearing this onesie?

Edited by jmacdaniel 2014-04-07 1:43 PM

2014-04-07 1:42 PM
in reply to: jmacdaniel

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Iron distance kit
If you're going to wear a onesie you need to be sure that you are either ok with a.) peeing yourself or b.) taking some extra time to stop in the port-o.

A two piece has more opportunity to rub over a long day (as well as some extra spots to sunburn) but is more convenient at the bathroom.
2014-04-07 1:44 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Have you ridden the one piece PI kit for 80 miles or longer? Bike comfort is consideration #1 for me. If the one piece is comfy on long bikes and you're ok with a bit of wrestling in the port of pottie, then wear it.
2014-04-07 2:22 PM

Expert
Salisbury

I've found that a good Tri suit is just as comfortable as bike shorts and/or run shorts so go that route and save the T time.

My "rule" is Sprint/Oly distance = Onesie. Anything longer I go two piece.

2014-04-07 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

An Ironman race is a very long day.  I've done two, and felt it was worth it to change completely both transitions for both races.  Could I save a minute or two in transition by not changing?  Yea, but so far, those extra 5 minutes haven't made a bit of difference in attitude about my finish time.  

I put on bike bibs and a fill-zip jersey.  I've heard too many stories about people sunburning the small of their back where the shorts and tri top don't overlap.  

I put on running shorts and a fresh shirt for the run.  (In hindsight, I should have kept the bike jersey for my first ironman, but I wasn't thinking clearly that day.)  

I bring whatever gear *might* be useful for race day, including toe covers, knee warmers, arm warmers, arm sleeves, windbreaker, (you get the idea...)  I was just staring in this sport and had people do Wisconsin one year when it warmed up into the 50's for the high and bike shops within 100 miles of Madison were sold out of all their cold weather gear.  The very next year, people brought their cold weather gear and the high was 95F.  Both years, people were dropping like flies.  

What is your bike kit like after you finish a 6-hour ride?  Do you sit around in it for another 4-5 hours?  I know...you're going to sweat in your run gear too, but you can start out fresh.  Also, if you're a heavy sweater, you can end up with chafing from the salt buildup by the end of the day.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Iron distance kit Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Full Distance/Iron Distance Race for Fall of 2012

Started by Mizzou03
Views: 2121 Posts: 12

2011-08-25 6:16 PM enginerd

Iron/Half Iron distance vs. Ironman event

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 2027 Posts: 16

2011-04-26 4:38 PM KeriKadi

Iron distance races within 4 hours of CNY

Started by chevy57
Views: 940 Posts: 10

2008-08-13 11:18 AM runnerx

Long bike ride before Half-Iron distance triathlon

Started by Butcher
Views: 1436 Posts: 4

2007-08-03 12:38 PM Butcher

IRON Distance

Started by Mick55
Views: 926 Posts: 11

2005-06-06 5:48 PM PirateGirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 0
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.

date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.