General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape the Cape Oly/Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-07 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Subject: Escape the Cape Oly/Sprint
Escape the Cape is coming up in early June and I'm pretty excited about doing my first race in a different state. I'm a Texas boy who comes to visit Cape May once every couple years or so to visit family and this year I'm going to race while I'm there. I've read a few of the race reports from 2013 and sounds like a pretty well done race.

I'm hoping any of you fine folks that have done the Oly, or sprint for that matter, can give me the run down on typical water temps and wind for that time of year so I can figure out what kind of wet suit and wheels to bring. I'd also love to hear about the field...whether it's a large event, competitive event, best spectator spots for family to watch, etc.?

Thanks!

2014-04-08 9:14 AM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Escape the Cape Oly/Sprint
I think it's a great event. Very well organized.

The jump off the boat is awesome. The water temp I don't remember specifically, but I would guess it was in the upper 60's. I didn't think it was bad at all. I wore a sleeveless Xterra wetsuit and I was fine. The water was a little choppy for me, but I don't have a ton of ocean swimming experience. I think if you do, it probably wasn't considered bad at all.

The bike was pretty flat, it felt like a lot of turns, and the only real climb was over a bridge, but I believe he has changed up the bike course this year. There wasn't really any wind, except on the back stretch of the course along the water.

The only thing that caught me off guard is the sand portion of the run. Some of the run was along the beach. I didn't expect to have to run on the sand, but I suppose that is my fault. Know your course! Again, I think there is some change to the run course this year as well, he created our own little sand ladder to get off the beach.

I did the sprint last year and I am doing it again this year.

As far as spectating, it's a little difficult as you have to take shuttle buses to the transition in the morning. Most of the spectators are kind of stuck near the transition area. You could wander down the beach and see people coming out of the water or you could migrate up the road a little bit to see the bikes coming through.

2014-04-08 11:14 AM
in reply to: kdandrea

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
cool, thanks! I did read something about the sand portion of the run being changed - or taken out - this year, "by popular demand" if i recall him saying, lol. i'm staying with family on Adriatic so i'm hoping they can pop over and catch me on both the bike and run course several times. good to know about the shuttles to transition....does that include athletes, or just spectators (hoping i can just walk over, or ride my bike to transition the morning of)?
2014-04-08 12:08 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
That includes athletes. Last year, and I assume again this year, you actually have to check your bike the day before so you couldn't ride it to the event in the morning. He had a spot last year which was basically a big field for people to park and the shuttles picked you up there. No one can take a car into the ferry terminal area the morning of.

I rode my bike back to the car after the event, but I did have to ride the shuttle that morning.

If you are close enough to walk though, you certainly could.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape the Cape Oly/Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Escape the Cape

Started by kdandrea
Views: 1346 Posts: 2

2013-05-30 10:00 PM ImSore

Bike Route - Atlantic City to Cape May?

Started by bdenehy
Views: 1417 Posts: 1

2012-10-15 1:12 PM bdenehy

Cape May

Started by m_nuscis
Views: 1511 Posts: 7

2011-01-06 5:05 PM m_nuscis

Black Bear Triathlon Sprint & Oly - Official Thread

Started by JohnAgs3
Views: 1783 Posts: 13

2010-05-24 10:20 AM JohnAgs3

High Point to Cape May Bike Route (238 Miles)

Started by Carl Carlson
Views: 4771 Posts: 11

2007-08-05 7:44 PM Carl Carlson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : October 4, 2006
author : dleii
comments : 0
At some point I remember thinking about the movie CAPE FEAR. This is what it seemed like when I was around a lot of people. It was just a lot of commotion of waves, arms and feet.
date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.