General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-08 7:57 PM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: Broken Trainer

A lot of times after using the trainer, I have to work to unscrew the trainer bolt from the skewer.  Well, today, the bolt came out and is stuck on the skewer.  I've tried pliers just by myself and working with someone else and it just won't budge.  Basically like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqD1joU_dNI but it's just the bolt, not the whole thing.

Anyone ever have this problem?  Need a quick fix so I can get back to riding.

2014-04-09 1:46 PM
in reply to: C_Hassard

Subject: RE: Broken Trainer
I assume you can get some pliers on it? If so, have you tried something like WD40 or Liquid wrench? Spray some on, let it sit, and then put a pair of pliers back on it and see if you can get it out.

Does it seem like it is in there straight? If it is at an angle, that might be what is causing it to be so difficult to remove. If it is not in straight, could you give it a few blows (carefully) with a hammer to try and loosen it up?
2014-04-10 5:43 AM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Did you use a different skewer than the one supplied with the trainer? The basic design principal is that the cone of the skewer and the internal cone on the screw of the trainer should match to generate flank contact. If you have a skewer with a different profile, then you may get point contact instead, which would deform the skewer and create an interference fit.

One thing to try is to heat up the trainer screw, while cooling the skewer. Basically, dip the skewer part in an ice bath for about 10 minutes to get it really cold, keeping the trainer screw side away from the ice. Then use a high heat hair drier, or better yet a lighter to heat the trainer screw. Then try to pull them apart. If that doesn't work, then I really don't think there's much of an option but to call the manufacturer and order replacement parts.
2014-04-10 6:28 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Delco, PA

The good old hammer dented it slightly, but got the bolt off the skewer.

The reason it's been getting stuck is because the bolt wasn't screwed in completely to the actual trainer.  It was loose and just slowly got pulled off more and more, until it got stuck to the skewer.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken Trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Broken or Not Broken - make your guess!

Started by fisherman76
Views: 1418 Posts: 8

2012-03-21 12:24 AM Left Brain

Broken trainer - can it be fixed?

Started by vball03umd
Views: 838 Posts: 7

2009-12-31 11:50 AM vball03umd

Swimming workouts...breaks or no breaks?

Started by EABonney
Views: 1355 Posts: 10

2007-06-26 10:09 PM mman

A 1st - broke 100 miles running, broke 7 min barrier in run

Started by jpb0009
Views: 1338 Posts: 9

2006-06-28 4:42 PM jpb0009

Signs it may be time to break out the trainer

Started by feagajk
Views: 1164 Posts: 13

2005-10-10 10:44 AM Celeb_ithil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.

date : April 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
It sounds like your ankle has seen plenty of mileage and, by the description of your surgeon’s plan, that you have damage to the articular cartilage that caps your talus bone.