Zion 100 Trail Run
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 32h 54m 20s
Overall Rank = 109/115
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I drove to Ogden (6 hours) after work Wednesday, got a good night's sleep and drove the rest of the way (5 hours) Thursday. I arrived in Hurricane around 2pm and spent some time with Jenn (Jungle Jenn) organizing race stuff in our room at Super 8. We met with her friend Holly, Holly's husband Bill and her pacer Karen. We had a little time before packet pick-up so drove just a bit into Zion National Park. We were hoping to get to bed early since we had to be up at 2:30am for the 4am early start, but that didn't exactly happen. I got a glimpse of all the pretty buckles at packet pick-up, but knew the selection would be limited by the time I finished. The race offered free individual pizzas, but there were at least 50 people in front of us so we decided it would be much faster to just eat out at the same restaurant "The Flying Monkey". We got back to the hotel and to bed around 8:30pm. This was probably the worst I have ever slept before a race. I didn't feel nervous or overly excited, just couldn't fall asleep. Apparently I did though, because at 12:21am I woke up suddenly and bolted out of bed, assuming a fighting stance. A man had opened our hotel door and the chain stop caught. Jenn says he mumbled "Oh sorry", but I think my adrenaline was pumping too hard to hear. He pulled the door shut and left. We found out from Holly's husband who was working late in the hotel lobby that the hotel had actually re-rented our room to him. Apparently he was pretty upset about it too. I didn't sleep so well after that. I didn’t exactly feel unsafe, just unsettled.
Event warmup:

I got up at 2:30am and barely had enough time to get dressed, tape my feet and shins and eat a bagel with honey and banana. The timing worked out great though since we arrived to the start with plenty of time to check in, potty and not have too much time to contemplate the 100 miles before us.
Run
  • 32h 54m 20s
  • 100 miles
  • 19m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't want to discredit the difficultly of this course and do admit that the difficulty did somewhat "catch-up with me", especially during all of the rock climbing in the Guacamole loop, but I feel like I was able to really put the course into perspective while I was out there. I didn’t feel overwhelmed by the challenge, which is pretty funny when you consider that all but one of my long runs (and it was one flat gravel) were on the treadmill this winter/spring. I was kind of surprised at that too since my race confidence took a pretty big hit when I DNFd BOTH of my important races last year (missed time cut-off at Bear 100 around mile 67 in September and the time cut-off to run the last 8 miles at the Vineman ironman race in July).
Apparently I'm way too wordy for this template. Read more on my blog at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly....
What would you do differently?:

There's not anything I would do differently. I feel like I basically nailed this. My clothing choices were perfect. My hydration choices worked out perfectly. Even though I did get behind on nutrition a few times, I was able to catch back up and finish energized. I really enjoyed that I was able to run the first 30 miles with friends and I think that was key to my success since it started me out at a good pace, not too slow, but not too fast. I maybe could’ve run a bit faster, but probably would’ve ended up wiping out totally defeating the purpose. The fact that I only slid to a sit once and didn’t actually trip and fall at all is a huge improvement for me over any other ultra, but I was super careful and hyper-vigilant basically the whole time.
Post race
Warm down:

Jenn was at the finish, but was at Holly's van talking to her so missed my grand entrance. She took care of me though taking off my shoes and finding me a Diet Coke. I felt ok at first, but it wasn't long before I needed to lie down for a bit which worked out fine since we had to wait for some drop bags anyway. We had some awesome ice cream on the way back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Treadmill training set at 5.0 mph is not a recipe for a speedy trail run.

Event comments:

This was a "do once" race. I made it out ok, but the fact that they really weren't keeping track of runners (only taking numbers while aid stations were open, then closing the stations and leaving people stranded) is scary considering the terrain. There should've been some accountability for sweeping the course and being sure everyone made it out ok.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
32:54:20 | 100 miles | 19m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/115
Performance: Good
Course: The course is run on five or so mesas on the outskirts of Zion National Park. There was single track, gravel road, sand and even some rock climbing involved with several steep climbs and descents .
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-04-09 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Zion 100 Trail Run

2014-04-10 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4979380

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Zion 100 Trail Run
Would love to read the full report, however, your log is restricted so the link doesn't work. Congratulations on a huge accomplishment!!!
2014-04-10 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Good job getting it done. Success at these distances is all about managing the little things along the way.

I know the scenery was great; I just love the southern UT region.

Runner accountability has been an important thing with the big races I've done; I guess it just varies with each RD and venue. Of course, that will change as soon as they have a serious mishap.
2014-04-10 11:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Queen BTich

WAIT!!! Were you wearing pants under a skirt on Guac? Maybe a blue-ish top or jacket?! If so, we did leapfrog AND talked to you for a while!

Edited by Comet 2014-04-10 11:03 AM
2014-04-10 11:10 AM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Veteran

Yep, that was me. Blue jacket with pants under a skirt...looking way over-dressed compared to all the 50kers. You girls were having so much fun it cheered me up!  

2014-04-10 11:17 AM
in reply to: InnerAthlete

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by InnerAthlete

Yep, that was me. Blue jacket with pants under a skirt...looking way over-dressed compared to all the 50kers. You girls were having so much fun it cheered me up!  

We could tell you were a 100'er, since you were dressed for night. We had just taken off our jackets, I believe. It was chilly! Yes, we were having a lot of fun! It was beautiful!

Serious props for running that alone at night! GREAT JOB!!

2014-04-12 6:23 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
I remember seeing you, I remember that you commented on the Montana shirt and I instantly felt like a moron since I've only been there few times- it's just a perfect race shirt! I'm a total mountain girl poser! I cannot believe anyone could finish 100 miles on that course- I am humbled by your efforts and achievement-- Glad you had the race you wanted. Maybe one day we'll cross paths again, but there's NO WAY it will be in Utah or at altitude if I'm doing 100! I'm so not worthy! Thanks for the detailed report, I learned a lot :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Zion 100 Trail Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oil Creek 100 Trail Run - 100 Mile

Started by carrie1
Views: 2195 Posts: 5

2012-10-26 4:42 AM sbrdave

Oil Creek 100 Trail Run - 100 Mile

Started by wolchr
Views: 1486 Posts: 1

2012-03-26 7:21 AM wolchr

Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Trail Run (DNF)

Started by jkron
Views: 2612 Posts: 11

2010-02-23 4:18 PM kvesey

Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Trail Run

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 1264 Posts: 2

2009-03-23 8:31 AM BigDH

Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile Trail Run Pages: 1 2

Started by grbfrog
Views: 4436 Posts: 30

2009-02-15 9:32 PM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.

date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.