General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ugh Fitting in the workouts. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-10 12:32 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: Ugh Fitting in the workouts.
Nothing big, not a major deal, but just venting to people who have been there / done that.

I'm struggling to fit my workouts in after work. I'll figure it out, might have to shift swim days to coincide with runs instead of cycling.

Last night, for example, was a Swim: 64, Cycle:124. Get home at 4:00, sunset at 7:38, pool closes at 8:30. The math seems to work out, BUT, it just doesn't! Supper has to occur at some point, and there has to be time to GET to pool and change. My summer vacation can't come soon enough!

Yesterday went like this:
4:05 - Arrive at home
4:10 - Leave home to get gas for grill (wife was to cook burgers for her and kids - I'm on my own because of time)
4:25 - Get back home
4:30 - Attach LP tank and show wife how to operate grill
4:35 - Take bike off of trainer, get gear ready, prepare fuel, and get dressed.
4:50 - Leave on ride.

Now, I cut my ride short and got home in under 2 hours, but I still hadn't eaten and really felt beat from fighting crosswinds for 30 miles, so I sat down and had a beer and resolved to swim today.

So, yesterday's workout was totally possible, but would have been stressful and might have meant that my supper came in the form of gatorade, cliff bars, and gel.

It only get's bigger! The answer will be to get as efficient in prepping for rides/runs/swims as I can, you can see a lot of my time was wasted doing stupid little things that won't usually happen, but it seems that there is always SOMETHING.

How do other people get two workouts in after work? Do you skip supper, eat alone? I really can't work out in the morning, that's when my wife works out, and the bike rides are too long to fit in before work. At this point, fitting runs in is not a problem, I can run around town in the dark because of street lights, but riding necessitates I ride out of town because my town is about a mile wide, so country highways in the dark would kinda be nutso (IMO)

2014-04-10 12:45 PM
in reply to: Danno77

Subject: RE: Ugh Fitting in the workouts.
my suggestions as a husband/dad/worker myself:
1. prep everything you can the night before (clothes set out, bike off trainer and ready, water bottles filled in fridge, etc)
2. leave the bike on the trainer and just be pissed you have to use it vs outside. This will save you massive time on two-a-days.
3. See if you have a better pool option, my gym is open until 10p and I swim a lot during the 9-10p slot.
4. sack lunch. I never understood why people dont think to pack a lunch/dinner to eat either before you leave work on on your commute, but its efficient/cheap/flexible.
5. just cuz someone else is likely to say it, "suck it up"

good luck, I feel ya.
2014-04-10 1:24 PM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by ilikepizza

my suggestions as a husband/dad/worker myself:
1. prep everything you can the night before (clothes set out, bike off trainer and ready, water bottles filled in fridge, etc)
2. leave the bike on the trainer and just be pissed you have to use it vs outside. This will save you massive time on two-a-days.
3. See if you have a better pool option, my gym is open until 10p and I swim a lot during the 9-10p slot.
4. sack lunch. I never understood why people dont think to pack a lunch/dinner to eat either before you leave work on on your commute, but its efficient/cheap/flexible.
5. just cuz someone else is likely to say it, "suck it up"

good luck, I feel ya.

Thanks! To address:
1. Yup, That's gonna be key, I know it.
2. But my Trainer skewer weighs a couple more ounces than the one for the bike, and I'm ready to drop that weight for the outdoor season, lol
3. Nope, there are no other options. I live in a pretty small community. I'm lucky that I have any pool at all.
4. My commute is exactly 1.2 miles from my house. I wouldn't have time to eat it! Maybe I should shift my meal times around. Lunch at like 9:30 and supper at like 3:30 and second supper at like 8:30 at night.
5. I'm trying to HTFU. Always.
2014-04-10 1:24 PM
in reply to: ilikepizza

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I'd look for a pool that stays open later if possible. I swim from 8:00-9:30 on Tues and Thurs nights, works well and leaves time for a workout before if needed. 

If you get a lunch hour that is a good time to run if possible for you. Here is a breakdown of my schedule for IM training, may help.

Monday: Short ride in evening.

Tuesday: Run over lunch and swim at night.

Wednesday: Run over lunch and medium ride evening.

Thursday: Run over lunch and swim at night.

Friday: Long run (over lunch or evening)

Saturday: Long ride

Sunday: Run and swim

Total: 5 runs, 3 swims and 3 bikes.

Seems to be working well so far. Monday is supposed to be my day off but I will either do a short ride there to get it out of the way or I will take the day off and add that distance to the Wednesday ride. 

I end up with two a day's but nothing back to back in the evening. I feel I get better workouts if not back to back and it is much less stressful. Good luck with your schedule!

2014-04-10 1:28 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I'd look for a pool that stays open later if possible. I swim from 8:00-9:30 on Tues and Thurs nights, works well and leaves time for a workout before if needed. 

If you get a lunch hour that is a good time to run if possible for you. Here is a breakdown of my schedule for IM training, may help.

Seems to be working well so far. Monday is supposed to be my day off but I will either do a short ride there to get it out of the way or I will take the day off and add that distance to the Wednesday ride. 

I end up with two a day's but nothing back to back in the evening. I feel I get better workouts if not back to back and it is much less stressful. Good luck with your schedule!

Your two a days are all run & swim, that's where I think this is going. I can't run over lunch, but i don't mind running late at night. I actually kinda like it that way.
2014-04-10 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Danno77

Nothing big, not a major deal, but just venting to people who have been there / done that.

I'm struggling to fit my workouts in after work. I'll figure it out, might have to shift swim days to coincide with runs instead of cycling.

Last night, for example, was a Swim: 64, Cycle:124. Get home at 4:00, sunset at 7:38, pool closes at 8:30. The math seems to work out, BUT, it just doesn't! Supper has to occur at some point, and there has to be time to GET to pool and change. My summer vacation can't come soon enough!

Yesterday went like this:
4:05 - Arrive at home
4:10 - Leave home to get gas for grill (wife was to cook burgers for her and kids - I'm on my own because of time)
4:25 - Get back home
4:30 - Attach LP tank and show wife how to operate grill
4:35 - Take bike off of trainer, get gear ready, prepare fuel, and get dressed.
4:50 - Leave on ride.

Now, I cut my ride short and got home in under 2 hours, but I still hadn't eaten and really felt beat from fighting crosswinds for 30 miles, so I sat down and had a beer and resolved to swim today.

So, yesterday's workout was totally possible, but would have been stressful and might have meant that my supper came in the form of gatorade, cliff bars, and gel.

It only get's bigger! The answer will be to get as efficient in prepping for rides/runs/swims as I can, you can see a lot of my time was wasted doing stupid little things that won't usually happen, but it seems that there is always SOMETHING.

How do other people get two workouts in after work? Do you skip supper, eat alone? I really can't work out in the morning, that's when my wife works out, and the bike rides are too long to fit in before work. At this point, fitting runs in is not a problem, I can run around town in the dark because of street lights, but riding necessitates I ride out of town because my town is about a mile wide, so country highways in the dark would kinda be nutso (IMO)

This is a great example of when I ask an athlete "How many hours can you train each week?" I always get "x" reply and then do 10-20% less. AG'ers usually have eyes bigger then their stomachs and think they can get in more then they can. Getting in the allotment of prescription versus always frustrated and stressed that you are not can have dramatic differences in the mental quality and physical quality of your training.

2014-04-10 1:33 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by bcagle25
This is a great example of when I ask an athlete "How many hours can you train each week?" I always get "x" reply and then do 10-20% less. AG'ers usually have eyes bigger then their stomachs and think they can get in more then they can. Getting in the allotment of prescription versus always frustrated and stressed that you are not can have dramatic differences in the mental quality and physical quality of your training.

I believe it. Although, I work in a school, so once summer hits I'm so free to do whatever I want, so what I'm complaining about now is a "Moo Point" (you know, it doesn't matter, like a cow's opinion) in a couple of months.

Of course there is this little thing about the race being in early October, so September expect to see me here complaining again, lol.
2014-04-10 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

I think its rough to do the swim/bike two a days.  Remember it takes time to get to and from the pool.  And if you're like me, you can't necessarily ride out your front door either.  Plus both of those sports require set up (drive to pool, get out of car walk to pool, get undressed, get dressed, get into pool, get out of pool, take shower, get dressed, walk to car, drive  home.  And thats just to swim!).

I find that running is the least time expensive and I can do whereever, so I combine a swim/run and then do bike days.

Monday: swim am, short run pm, do physical therapy exercises

Tuesday: Pt am if I need it, bike pm

Wednesday: swim am, "speed" workout pm

Thursday:  longer bike pm

Friday:  swim am, short run pm (and time to ride my horse)

Saturday:  long bike, short brick

Sunday:  long run

eta:  I also work in a school, and know I can't have big months in May or September, b/c those are my worst months in terms of busyness. I'm best to aim an IM at the end of August (hence I've done 2 in August, one end of July, one in mid September).  Also, my swim times and PT times are early (5-6:30).  Every once in a while I forgo the three swims since its my strongest sport and sleep in.

Edited by turtlegirl 2014-04-10 1:45 PM
2014-04-10 1:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm a night owl so I go to gym around 8:00 and get home around 10:30 or so during the week.  I wish I could get them in after work but with the kids schedule right now it's just not happening, plus I have an injury.   In the summer I get them done earlier and it's great.

Normally its -

M - am bike on trainer

T - PM swim and run

W - PM bike on trainer (long) or Brick

Th - PM Swim and run

Fri - PM long swim

Sat - afternoon Long bike

Sun -afternoon Long run

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2014-04-10 1:46 PM
2014-04-10 2:03 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25 This is a great example of when I ask an athlete "How many hours can you train each week?" I always get "x" reply and then do 10-20% less. AG'ers usually have eyes bigger then their stomachs and think they can get in more then they can. Getting in the allotment of prescription versus always frustrated and stressed that you are not can have dramatic differences in the mental quality and physical quality of your training.
I believe it. Although, I work in a school, so once summer hits I'm so free to do whatever I want, so what I'm complaining about now is a "Moo Point" (you know, it doesn't matter, like a cow's opinion) in a couple of months. Of course there is this little thing about the race being in early October, so September expect to see me here complaining again, lol.

I'll actually schedule in the whole thing I think is possible, and have a good idea of what's important for them so if things are crunched I'll know what's ok to go shorter on or even miss. I'm going to take advantage of the time available, and don't always know when the issues may come up. So it's been learning to develop a sense doing enough. Did I get enough of the hard work in, stressing the areas i wanted to stress? Did I still get enough overall volume in? It's great to do everything that was scheduled, but more important is what I actually accomplished. Maybe the bike was a bit shorter than planned, but I still got in all the threshold work, for example. MIght not work for everyone, but it does for me as I don't like doing less than what I could have so often. (Not that I'm saying to work oneself into the ground either)

2014-04-10 2:09 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Just cut mine back due to overwork/injury... I was going 7 days a week like a dummy. Plus, I work Sun-Thur, have 4 kids and my wife works Mon & Tues nights and some Sat days.

Sun: AM Bike before work, PM Run (also my Brick day)
Mon: AM Swim before work, PM Strength Train
Tues: PM Run (wife is at work, limited to the .4mi around my block after youngest 3 in bed... it gets BORING)
Wed: Rest
Thurs: AM Run before work, PM Group Ride
Fri: AM swim, PM Strength Train
Sat: Rest and Family Time

2014-04-10 2:36 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I don't think I have ever gotten in 2 workouts after work on the same day, for me its usually either one in the Morning and one after supper This usually happens on the weekends or one at Lunch ( I have arranged a 1 and 1/2 hour Lunch with my boss it, means starting work earlier (a small sacrifice) ) and then the second workout before eating supper after work. The latter is how I get in most double workout days in usually during the week thus reserving weekend time for long rides or runs early in the morning before everyone else get going & leaving the rest of the day for house duties and family.
2014-04-10 2:42 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I'm a night owl so I go to gym around 8:00 and get home around 10:30 or so during the week.  I wish I could get them in after work but with the kids schedule right now it's just not happening, plus I have an injury.   In the summer I get them done earlier and it's great.

Normally its -

M - am bike on trainer

T - PM swim and run

W - PM bike on trainer (long) or Brick

Th - PM Swim and run

Fri - PM long swim

Sat - afternoon Long bike

Sun -afternoon Long run

My schedule, although more random, is very similar to this right now. My shorter weekly runs come right after masters swim sessions Tuesday and Thursday nights. I can still get a quality run in right after a swim. Ocassionally on those days I'll run at lunch. I bring food to work, lots of fruits like bananas, oranges, nuts etc.
2014-04-10 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Your two a days are all run & swim, that's where I think this is going. I can't run over lunch, but i don't mind running late at night. I actually kinda like it that way.

Yeah just change your two a days to swim and run and leave the bike to one a days and you should be better off IMO. If you are off at 4:00 you should be done swimming by 6:00 and can get some family time in then run later at night. 

Doing anything back to back with the bike is difficult given the time involved in getting prepared for a ride and actually getting the miles in. 

2014-04-10 5:26 PM

Do what I do. Get up at 4:30-5AM, workout until 6:30AM. Consistent quality workouts but you do have to train yourself to get on that AM schedule, which isn't so easy even if you're an early bird.

I routinely get in lunch 30 min swims.

And if I get out of work early (meaning before 5PM), I can squeeze in 30 minutes more of a indoor workout of some sort in my garage immediately after work. 

Having the workout schedule you have right now would be my triathlon fantasy training dream come true, to be able to leave on a bike ride at 5PM and not have to worry about child care and/or dinner for spouse, but it is what it is. (My situation will likely improve as the toddler gets older.)

2014-04-10 6:45 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
True-- I'm really not a morning person but have moved most of my run/bike workouts (pool not available then) to early AM for this reason. It's just much less likely that anyone's going to impose unexpected demands on your time between 4:30 and 6:30 AM than in the same window 12 hours later. I'm a teacher and also do some coaching, so afternoons could always have a student or parent with a concern, an unexpected meeting, swim meet, prep work for an activity that has to be done at school, etc. As yet I have never had a teacher or boss contact me between 4:30 and 6:30 AM, or ask me to come to work before 7 AM! In my case there's also a weather-related reason--during our rainy season, the weather's much more unstable in the afternoon and evening than early AM--far less likely to have a morning run interrupted by thunderstorms.

2014-04-10 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4979722

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'd love to do morning workouts, but Mrs. Danno gets the AM and I get the PM. Still not enough time to get a bike in that time after dawn, but before work, anyway. I'm usually at work by 7, never later than 7:30. My pool doesn't even open until 6, too, so basically running is what would happen in the early morning, and that's the one thing I'm not having problems fitting in!
2014-04-11 6:30 AM

User image

could you negotiate with Mrs Danno, maybe you get 2 am's a week for swimming and she gets the rest; or bike on the trainer in the am - I know that riding outside is awesome, but inside on the trainer is where I have seen most of my gains because its easier to do drill sets -

admittedly i'm single, so I don't have to worry about family committments, but its all about give/take...maybe sit down with the Mrs each weekend and come up with the plan of attack on how you want to handle workouts each week - if you are struggling now, what is going to happen when distances start piling up
2014-04-14 8:51 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I'm assuming the reason you split the workouts is b/c of kids? Could you find a way to get a workout in and still keep an eye on them? So, run with a jog stroller, ride with them in a burleigh, trainer workouts early AM while they are still asleep, etc.?

Trainer, trainer, trainer would be my suggestion--then you can get your AM ride in and still be home in case the wee people need you.

2014-04-14 10:01 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

3. After a work shift from 6-3 back to 8-5.... I started getting up at 445 to do my cycling or running before 7am. I can still grab a shower and help take the kids to school. However, I am one of the few that love the bike trainer and do 95% of my training on there due to time or light constraints.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ugh Fitting in the workouts. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Where To Fit In Workouts in Training Plan?

Started by Charlatte987
Views: 950 Posts: 7

2014-02-15 5:24 PM Hot Runner

Set up road bike fit like a tri bike fit

Started by jsiegs
Views: 3345 Posts: 16

2010-08-23 8:45 PM audiojan

Comparing Online Fit With Professional Fit

Started by jsselle
Views: 1377 Posts: 11

2009-09-21 1:41 AM audiojan

2D/3D Bike fit vs traditional fit

Started by TBriggs
Views: 1734 Posts: 2

2009-05-11 2:44 PM KathyG

spinner fit vs. roadie fit

Started by movingsouth
Views: 3192 Posts: 8

2009-03-31 10:35 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.
date : September 18, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on finishing your pull and again, hip rotation.

date : May 21, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, we’re doing slightly fewer drills and slightly more distance. Focus on completing the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.