General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nastiest post workout food Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-11 1:18 PM

Subject: nastiest post workout food
Today as I completed a longer run over lunch, I got back to the office starving (yeah, yeah, I should have had a snack before running). I was so hungry I couldn't wait for my homemade lunch to be dug out of the fridge down the hall and ate a beef jerky stick. As I sat there savoring it, I thought - jeez, why did I go run if I was going to stick this in my mouth afterward?

what's the nastiest thing for your body you've eaten post work out.

2014-04-11 1:38 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: nastiest post workout food

That's why I workout as hard as I do so I can put nasty stuff like that in my body.

2014-04-11 2:04 PM

User image

NC
I don't know about after, but Lexington-style BBQ before is definitely not awesome during.

2014-04-11 2:20 PM

User image

Miami
I usually don't crave nasty food right after a workout. However, some days, 4-5 hours after long work outs I really have to watch out my hunger...
2014-04-11 2:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
What's wrong with beef jerky. It's protein, fats and some salt. I thought you where going to say you put down a whole pizza, 20 wings and a pitcher of beer. Which I may or may not have done after a workout.

Edited by BigDaddyD79 2014-04-11 2:31 PM
2014-04-11 2:54 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Personally, there's nothing quite like a good, old-fashioned recovery burrito after a good workout. Or recovery bbq ribs. Oh, and especially, recovery beer.

"Nasty" post-workout food, to me, is anything with less than 20g of protein.

2014-04-11 3:04 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Seattle

Yeah, I think we would have to agree on the definition of "nasty" because I most certainly don't  believe beer falls in that category.

I eat all kinds of things after I run. Probably more horrifying to most is what I eat WHILE I run. This ranges from the standard gels and bars all the way to spicy chicken strips, burritos, a foot long sub and more. 

2014-04-11 3:06 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yeah, I think we would have to agree on the definition of "nasty" because I most certainly don't  believe beer falls in that category.

I eat all kinds of things after I run. Probably more horrifying to most is what I eat WHILE I run. This ranges from the standard gels and bars all the way to spicy chicken strips, burritos, a foot long sub and more. 

Or glasses of milk...

2014-04-11 3:10 PM

User image

NC

Probably more horrifying to most is what I eat WHILE I run.

Has this one surfaced in awhile:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2014-04-11 3:19 PM

Taco Bell! It's on the way home from both the gym and the trails where I go running and mountain biking. Love some crunchy tacos!!!

Edited by CzechYourHead 2014-04-11 3:20 PM
2014-04-11 3:26 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Asalzwed Probably more horrifying to most is what I eat WHILE I run.
Has this one surfaced in awhile: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Yeah, I really need to stop at a convenience store this year for some hot tamales, lays chips, and a red bull sometime on a bike ride in honor of this thread.

Edited by zed707 2014-04-11 3:27 PM

2014-04-11 3:33 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jason N

Or glasses of milk...

Or four glasses of milk

2014-04-11 3:39 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed Probably more horrifying to most is what I eat WHILE I run.
Has this one surfaced in awhile: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

OH MY!  80 degrees, hot mess, my eyes keep getting wider and wider. I guess I missed this thread.

Well ... while not on purpose, I have seen this happen to more than one runner  

2014-04-11 3:47 PM

User image

OH MY!  80 degrees, hot mess, my eyes keep getting wider and wider. I guess I missed this thread.

The bolded is the key...

2014-04-11 3:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jason N

The bolded is the key...

Right, lol. Holy hellz. I can't imagine the thought process. At least she saved the 1:12 seconds on that ride! Worth it!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nastiest post workout food Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is watermelon a good post workout food/drink?

Started by Lynn00
Views: 1568 Posts: 8

2013-07-01 4:06 PM Lynn00

Post Training / Workout Food Choices and Fuel

Started by Nyctrigirl
Views: 979 Posts: 6

2012-09-17 9:16 PM Nyctrigirl

Post workout nutrition for late night workouts

Started by mattramirez
Views: 8180 Posts: 21

2012-06-29 4:39 PM JZig

food, food, food...diet, diet, diet Pages: 1 2

Started by montyb49
Views: 3076 Posts: 30

2006-11-16 9:19 AM tkbslc

What is your ultimate workout food?

Started by brookeb
Views: 846 Posts: 18

2006-03-19 3:38 PM pseudoyams
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : June 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
By adequately fueling with protein and carbohydrates within 30-minutes post workout, consecutive workouts will be more successful.
date : February 18, 2008
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : November 20, 2007
Depending on the length of your workout, there are several options to choose for a post-workout snack. Includes 3 smoothy recipes for workouts over 2-3 hours.
date : November 4, 2007
comments : 4
What you eat prior to your workout will determine your energy levels during a workout. What you eat after a workout will determine how quickly you recover.

date : September 24, 2007
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : February 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
I find this is occurring after almost every workout. The pattern is always the same: freezing 10 min after a workout and 2 hours to warm up again. I am not sick. My diet is healthy.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Wiser athletes treat food as fuel; they knowledgeably fuel before, during and after exercise. They get more out of their workouts and prevent needless fatigue.