General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B Full - how is it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-12 9:57 AM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
Subject: B2B Full - how is it?
I'm feeling the need to get my 1st Full in this year, looking for a late year race and I'm thinking the B2B looks good.
I was also thinking of the new IMMD, but sounds pretty dull from the veterans from that race.
Thinking about Cozumel but awful expensive when everything is added up.
I'm just looking to get the 1st IM under my belt, give your opinions. Thanks

2014-04-12 5:13 PM
in reply to: Danbones

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: RE: B2B Full - how is it?
B2B is one of the most well run events I've participated in. Excellent 1st 140.6. Downhill swim, flat ride and run. Excellent support all the way around. Go for it. (Cozumel is really really nice too but expensive and not as organized as B2B). If you scuba dive, you have to dive Cozumel. Unbelievable.
2014-04-14 6:06 AM

User image

Originally posted by Danbones

I'm feeling the need to get my 1st Full in this year, looking for a late year race and I'm thinking the B2B looks good.
I was also thinking of the new IMMD, but sounds pretty dull from the veterans from that race.

I did the B2B HIM last year, but stayed with friends who did the Full - both of us had great race days - it was pretty darn cold at kick off though (I think the temp was like 30 degrees outside) - the water actually felt warm...lol!
2014-04-14 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

another one here who will back up that B2B is a great race.  I did the half a couple years ago and it was a great race.  The support along the run course was great, fans lined some of the streets and were cheering people on.  The swim was crazy fast too!  I have have to fight just to stay in place waiting for the start.

2014-04-14 7:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Yep. Really good race. Ditto what everyone else said. The only down side is that the weather has occasionally been chilly (and a couple of years ago it was a drizzly cold... but that's going to happen from time to time). And of course it's a bit different scale than an IM brand race. But I actually prefer that.
2014-04-14 7:45 AM

User image

I loved B2B half as well as B2B full!

Great race, they have it down more or less to a science for the two transition areas.

The year I did the full the tide was going out and it was 35 degrees (air temp) but the ocean was about 60 degrees.

They give a great race.

2014-04-14 8:00 AM

User image

Exton, PA

There are no veterans of the IM Maryland race since this is the first year. People who did ChesapeakeMan said it was a little lonely but that's because they only had 200 people on the coarse. IMM will be different because you will have a couple thousand people out there. IMM will basically be on the same coarse as Eagleman which I have done in the past. It's a good coarse, very flat and fast, and well established. The swim is in the Chesapeake and has been nicknamed the CHOPTANK, which may scare some people away. When I did it the swim was no big deal, not nearly as choppy as ocean swims I have done. Sounds like both events will be similar, probably an easier swim in the B2B.
2014-04-14 11:42 AM

I did the half at B2B and was very impressed. Well organized. I think I heard they had 1,500 volunteers helping out. This year I am already signed up for the full at B2B.
2014-04-14 12:31 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Did the Full last year as my first 140.6; it was absolutely incredible!  I cannot say enough good things about it.  The swim is beautiful, the bike is fast and flat, the run is just freaking awesome with the crowd support that is out there!

I enjoyed it enough that I made a point of going back this year to do the Half.  Excellent, excellent event!

2014-04-14 5:55 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
One of my favorite full distance races! Cool venue, rocket fast swim, flat windy bike, nice two lap run. Great support/ organizers/ volunteers . Highly recommend this race (done it as two of my fourteen 140.6 races) and will be happy to return in the future. Pretty good sized field for a non m-dot race. Don't think you will regret signing up for this.
2014-04-14 6:21 PM
in reply to: mike761

Baltimore, MD
Originally posted by mike761

There are no veterans of the IM Maryland race since this is the first year. People who did ChesapeakeMan said it was a little lonely but that's because they only had 200 people on the coarse. IMM will be different because you will have a couple thousand people out there. IMM will basically be on the same coarse as Eagleman which I have done in the past. It's a good coarse, very flat and fast, and well established. The swim is in the Chesapeake and has been nicknamed the CHOPTANK, which may scare some people away. When I did it the swim was no big deal, not nearly as choppy as ocean swims I have done. Sounds like both events will be similar, probably an easier swim in the B2B.

No, the Choptank is the name of river where the swim takes place. It's a tributary to the Bay.

OP - if you live on the Eastern Shore, why not do a race that is (possibly literally) in your own backyard?

2014-04-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: schaumi

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
I'm considering it AGAIN...lol, tomorrow is decision day. Being my 1st full I was thinking of finding the easiest (tongue in cheek) full with the best crowd support. I'll need all the help I can get.
2014-04-16 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I did B2B as my second full and it was such a fantastic experience!  

The crowd support out of T1, around T2 and all along the run course was nothing short of amazing.  There was also a TON of fun along the way with almost all of the aid stations on both the bike and the run having a theme to them, all kinds of music playing during the run, and the finish line was just as spectacular (if not more so) than the IM branded 140.6 that I did.  

If it weren't for the fact that I signed up for a different IM distance race this year, I would definitely go back - and if you need any further encouragement you can go back and read former race reports - I don't think there's a bad thing to say about this race anywhere, from start to finish it's completely top-notch.  

Good luck!!  

2014-04-16 2:47 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

A neighbor friend did it last year and loved the course, wants to go back after he knocks off a few other bucket list races and wants his wife to do the half.

I'd have to agree that the IMMD race being WTC will be a different animal than in the past. Hard to beat the races close to where your located.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » B2B Full - how is it? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

B2B HIM w/ broken wing

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1888 Posts: 24

2011-10-31 4:13 PM Panda_Jack

B2B Tri - Promo code??

Started by donwah
Views: 1320 Posts: 7

2011-09-09 7:51 AM rab27713

NOW I'm ready for B2B...

Started by DanielG
Views: 1442 Posts: 24

2010-11-02 10:59 AM GaryRM

Is it possiable B2B IM

Started by biggoofy
Views: 1079 Posts: 12

2010-03-24 10:03 AM qrkid

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : November 20, 2007
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 30, 2005
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 24, 2005
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.