General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for multi-stage races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-12 8:04 PM

User image

Subject: Training for multi-stage races
I'm thinking of signing up for the Battle of Waterloo in Michigan this summer. It's 42 miles over 10 legs: run-bike-swim-run-swim-run-swim-run-bike-run. How do you train for something like that? I know I can cover the total individual distances involved. Would you simulate the short legs with changes between? Would you want to cover the entire time you expect to be out there racing while in training? FWIW I've been racing sprints for 5 years but have never done a longer tri. I've also run many half marathons and done a Gran Fondo.

2014-04-12 8:31 PM
in reply to: carriecook

Subject: RE: Training for multi-stage races
Sounds confusing.
2014-04-12 8:37 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I doubt there's a training plan for that but what I would do is estimate the time I will be out there and come up with a decent hydration/nutrition plan. When I do swims post run workouts I have a higher potential for cramps etc. so make sure you're plenty hydrated.
2014-04-13 5:16 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

New user
I would do some triple bricks (I do them to train for regular triathlons but think they'd be especially useful here). Bike/run/bike/run/bike/run (usually 10/1-2 miles). Also, do some swims tired (after bike/runs) so you can know how that feels. I've seen some of these events and they sound way fun, but I haven't done one, but that's what I would focus on if I was registered.
2014-04-14 6:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by carriecook

I'm thinking of signing up for the Battle of Waterloo in Michigan this summer. It's 42 miles over 10 legs: run-bike-swim-run-swim-run-swim-run-bike-run. How do you train for something like that? I know I can cover the total individual distances involved. Would you simulate the short legs with changes between? Would you want to cover the entire time you expect to be out there racing while in training? FWIW I've been racing sprints for 5 years but have never done a longer tri. I've also run many half marathons and done a Gran Fondo.

that sounds fun!!! I wanna do it!! lol!! (adds to the plan for the future)

like someone said below, I would do bricks - that comprise the different legs, as well as distance - so do like some run-bike bricks (first leg); or some swim-run bricks (third leg) etc...mix them up...

for like swim-run-swim-run - you could probably simulate that one on a weekend, depending on where you swim - do a swim leg, jump out run, back in the pool do another set, then run again...
2014-04-14 6:15 AM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Originally posted by VGT

Sounds confusing.

Ha! Kind of, yes. You run from the start to your bike, bike a leg, then drop your bike and head out on a cross country section that consists of running from lake to lake and then swimming across in between. Back to the bike drop off where you pick it up, then ride back to where it was originally racked and run to the finish.

Thanks for pointing out the nutrition bit - I am going to need to figure that out. There is lots of on course nutrition since you have to carry your gear with you and don't have much room to bring it with you. I need to find out what they have in advance and then use it in training. Without ever having really done more than a 2-hour event, this is definitely going to be a learning curve for me.

I will try some tired swimming in particular - hadn't thought about the possibility for cramping.

Thanks! Trying to get up the nerve to actually sign up now. Price goes up May 1st.

2014-04-14 12:40 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by reecealan I doubt there's a training plan for that but what I would do is estimate the time I will be out there and come up with a decent hydration/nutrition plan. When I do swims post run workouts I have a higher potential for cramps etc. so make sure you're plenty hydrated.

This would be my approach, too.

Nutrition plan would be first priority, I think.

Train for the time you will be out there.

Guesstimate the total time for the individual segments and train for that distance.... looking at it, something between a Half Iron and Olympic training plan should work fine.

2014-04-14 1:13 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I used to do a race that was a series of sprint tris in a row for an allotted time.  I always trained as though I was doing a "normal" race of the total distance.   One major benefit being you needed to pace it like a longer distance race, even though the individual legs were short.   The rest of the work definitely goes into planning.  I had a routine that stuck to religiously, like always having a gel at the end of my bike ride (and packing x number of gels on the bike from the beginning) - whatever works, but having a routine really helps.  Otherwise it's easy to forget to eat. 

Also, other logistics come up.  Do you have to wriggle into a wet suit each time you swim?  Plan for much longer transition times.

Have fun!

2014-04-14 1:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by carriecook I'm thinking of signing up for the Battle of Waterloo in Michigan this summer. It's 42 miles over 10 legs: run-bike-swim-run-swim-run-swim-run-bike-run. How do you train for something like that? I know I can cover the total individual distances involved. Would you simulate the short legs with changes between? Would you want to cover the entire time you expect to be out there racing while in training? FWIW I've been racing sprints for 5 years but have never done a longer tri. I've also run many half marathons and done a Gran Fondo.

I would start by giving the person who designed that race some Ridalin.

2014-04-14 1:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

In reading a little of the instructions for this race you will have some logistics that I would want to have ironed out before the race.  They say you have to carry your swim and run gear with you.  I have no idea the best way to carry run gear while swimming.  You will also be putting those shoes on and off several times.  Will you even bother with socks? I think they also said you have to transport all your gear on the last bike leg.  I think all these addition considerations are equally important as the fitness aspects of the race.  I think you could save a lot of time with well thought out and rehearsed transitions. 

2014-04-14 1:44 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Friends of mine have done the SOS tri which is a similar format of biking then run, swim, run, swim, etc. a bunch of times.  They practiced with their gear as it would be needed to be done in the race (using dry bag), getting out, running x distance, swimming some more, then running some more.  A lake with a trail around it is handy, that is where they practiced.  They kept their bag with them at all times just as it would be in the race.

2014-04-14 7:49 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

I think I have the logistics worked out. The worst part will be running with wet shoes, because it sounds like most people recommend taking off your shoes, shoving one up the back of each leg under your tri shorts, and swimming that way. I need to practise this because it sounds like one big blister-fest, but we'll see.

OK, so here's a question that is going to make me sound like an idiot, but whatever. When you race longer distances - do you train the entire distance? I race sprints, and I train longer than the race distance. But for those of you who race Olys or halfs, where do you draw the line - cover it all, or figure the adrenaline will help you through the last bit on race day?

If it means anything, I just want to finish in one piece - not looking to shatter any records. Then again, I want to have fun out there, and would prefer, if possible, not to be DFL.
2014-04-15 1:35 AM
in reply to: 0

Carrie
The people that have doen the race in the past suggest doing swim run bricks. If you have not been on the course yet, some fo the runs are on iinteresting trails. I ran some of them the first year they had it, during a scouting it out trip. The swims don't look too bad, the middle swim looks like the muckest. I backed out the first year as my swimming was not up to par and I was just to shakey to put myself or anyone else in danger.

since it is still winter here I am just doing normal trainng stuff. My plan for once it warms up is to wet my shoes and run in wet shoes. It might suck for a few times but it should be ok. I do most of my running on trails so my feet are usally somewhat wet anyways.

It's on my summer list this year. The count so far is only at 64 people and unless the trunout gets higher it might not be around next year.

There is a thread in the Michigan forum on this race and a few people there have raced it

https://www.imathlete.com/events/EventParticipantsList.aspx?fEID=174...

Edited by Puppetmaster 2014-04-15 1:39 AM
2014-04-15 6:15 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

What do you mean by 'interesting' trails - that they are challenging, or scenic, or something else?

Where I live in SW Ontario it is dead flat - so I am afraid if the course is hilly then my estimated time out there is going to be significantly longer!

I was planning on doing this race next year and using this year to do a few Olys to build up to it. But knowing the registration numbers are low has pushed me to want to do it this year, just in case it's not around again in 2015.

I will definitely do the swim run bricks… and also test out how wet shoes work for me!
2014-04-16 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm registered for SoS Tri (Survival of the Shawangunks) this year and what I've been told is that cramping is a big, fat wildcard in races that alternate swimming and running. Best I've been able to come up with, training-wise, is to use the treadmill at my pool alternating swim and run sets.

Multi-stage racing is definitely a break from the usual S/B/R regimen. Logistics and physical challenge of this kind of racing is probably why we don't see more of this type of event.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for multi-stage races Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Stage Races: What was your first race?

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 527 Posts: 6

2013-02-19 6:05 PM jeng

Training For Multi Races

Started by Sparrohawk
Views: 839 Posts: 5

2007-12-17 8:24 AM pshorty

Multi Races - overlapping training?

Started by sjgauge
Views: 856 Posts: 3

2007-02-20 3:52 PM sjgauge

Multi-session training question

Started by seanaq64
Views: 771 Posts: 4

2004-12-20 9:35 AM charles81

Multi-sport Training

Started by buddsy
Views: 595 Posts: 1

2004-03-25 10:22 AM buddsy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : September 23, 2008
author : sportfactory
As you approach your goal race it is important to train as you will race. The last thing you want is to be surprised on race day.
date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.

date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.