General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first ride outside this year crushed me Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-13 3:10 PM

User image

New user
Subject: first ride outside this year crushed me
First ride outside since the end of September. I've been inside on the trainer since January. I feel terrible. Completely wiped, back and shoulders are killing me. Ugh. Wasn't expecting this.

2014-04-13 3:28 PM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: first ride outside this year crushed me

so next winter, you'll know not to bother with the trainer- as it doesn't do any good.

???

2014-04-13 3:34 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

New user
Originally posted by morey000

so next winter, you'll know not to bother with the trainer- as it doesn't do any good.

???

i guess, right.

Trainer got my hopes up of jumping out there TDF-like on the first ride. Hmmpph.
2014-04-13 4:19 PM

User image

New user
Don't discount the trainer! I've made some HUGE gains on the bike this year just riding inside.

There are a few key things to remember:
1. Trainer speed != outdoor speed. I ride 20-30 mph on the trainer. This is the equivalent of flats in no wind. You will NEVER ride this fast outside, but you can improve yourself relative to what you were doing before.
2. Don't just ride easy. I use easy rides to recover because my legs feel awesome after, but if I want to really get in a workout, I either do a sufferfest video or endurance rides video (they really push you) or make it a game. Sometimes I'll watch IM Kona videos or other tv shows, but I'll make it like a drinking (biking) game. When you see Chrissie Wellington, spring for 1 min, when the lead changes, get out of your saddle for 30 sec, etc.
3. Ride looooooong. I have never done more than 70 miles outside, but I've done some really long movie marathon trainers. Great for saddle time.

So, yeah, if you can't get outside, you can still make gains, but you have do push yourself a little.

YMMV. Some people hate the trainer. I love it.
2014-04-13 4:47 PM

Curious - 

What were your typical weekly trainer rides like and volume?

ANd what did you just ride outside?

2014-04-13 5:05 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
I've found that it usually takes me a handful of rides outside each year to get my "outdoor" legs back after a winter on the trainer. Regardless of my fitness or lack thereof.

2014-04-13 5:10 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by yazmaster

Curious - 

^^^This^^^

A winter of well-structured time on a trainer will allow you to hit the roads flying.

2014-04-13 5:32 PM

User image

New user

Curious - 

i've been doing 3 indoor rides a week for 4 hours total, which have been a TrainerRoad 2x20, a sufferfest video, and one of the weekend 2hr rides from TrainerRoad's low volume HIM plan. That's been my consistent routine except for ride 1 when i did an FTP test, and my FTP retest a couple of weeks ago.

my ride today was 2 1/2 hours, not trying to push it at all. i was feeling a little gassed i'd say by around 1:15 maybe, and i was surprised at the amount of discomfort in my back and neck. second half of the ride was mostly out of aero. i have zero comfort issues in aero on the trainer. i was fit in January. i was expecting some soreness from the terrain but i'm really feeling it. i just had to lay on the couch with ice on my back.

fluid and calories were good for the ride. what do you think? is my trainer broken? should i return it? ; )
2014-04-13 6:41 PM

I hit the trainer hard this winter and had a similar experience outside. That first ride lacked something. The second long ride outside was a lot better. I think the weather also plays a role. March/April weather in my neck of the woods is never all that nice. The first ride was a cold day and the air felt heavy. The second day was quite a bit warmer but I had some stiff winds.
2014-04-13 7:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Did 2x/week spin classes since December. Really saw improvement this spring. Hill climbs are a lot easier now. Put the work in and you will be rewarded.

Edited by pvfd304 2014-04-13 7:26 PM
2014-04-13 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Get tougher. In NY State you should stay riding outside much later than September. After a break I like to ride long easy km in the fall before snow forces inside. The trainer is good for building power but I don't like it for base building.

2014-04-13 7:49 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

New user
Originally posted by simpsonbo

Get tougher. In NY State you should stay riding outside much later than September.

i never said why i stopped riding in September. don't make assumptions about people
2014-04-13 7:58 PM

Originally posted by braciole

Curious - 

i've been doing 3 indoor rides a week for 4 hours total, which have been a TrainerRoad 2x20, a sufferfest video, and one of the weekend 2hr rides from TrainerRoad's low volume HIM plan. That's been my consistent routine except for ride 1 when i did an FTP test, and my FTP retest a couple of weeks ago. my ride today was 2 1/2 hours, not trying to push it at all. i was feeling a little gassed i'd say by around 1:15 maybe, and i was surprised at the amount of discomfort in my back and neck. second half of the ride was mostly out of aero. i have zero comfort issues in aero on the trainer. i was fit in January. i was expecting some soreness from the terrain but i'm really feeling it. i just had to lay on the couch with ice on my back. fluid and calories were good for the ride. what do you think? is my trainer broken? should i return it? ; )

That should have been plenty fine for prep for outdoor riding. I did even less than you did on the TR HIM plan, and I was not only fine, but faster than expected on a hard 45 miler just last week on my first time out. 

Were those Sufferfests and 2 x20 on the trainer super-hard? It's really strange for you to be able to throw down Sufferfests yet get eaten on an outdoor ride that's not a frank hammerfest. 

2014-04-13 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Then don't complain about the transition then. You created the thread without enough detail about your situation. Be a little more complete next time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first ride outside this year crushed me Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

first ride outside

Started by cusetri
Views: 975 Posts: 6

2009-02-09 7:12 PM cusetri

first outside run of the year

Started by tri-dg
Views: 1196 Posts: 8

2008-01-29 10:38 AM nxm165

First Bike Ride in almost a year

Started by cadreamer
Views: 462 Posts: 3

2005-06-29 4:50 PM bmax

first outside ride today.

Started by nebottomdweller
Views: 604 Posts: 5

2005-04-03 12:31 AM sjhamblin

First bike ride of the year

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 879 Posts: 5

2004-04-01 8:23 PM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Diane1961
I ponder my training. Should I have trained differently? Should I have trained more? Should I have trained harder? Should I not be wearing a sail?

date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?