General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off road Tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-13 6:06 PM

Subject: Off road Tri's
I'm looking to do some off road Tri's this season sometime in late June-September can anybody recommend one? I'd prefer either a sprint of Olympic type distance.

Thanks!

2014-04-14 3:02 PM
in reply to: kidblue44

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Off road Tri's

If you're referring to XTERRA type races, there are quite a few in Colorado.  Most are a hybrid of the Olympic distance, though two "sprint" types come to mind:  XTERRA Lory near Ft. Collins and the sprint distance at Beaver Creek in July.

You can head to XTERRA's website to find a list:   http://www.xterraplanet.com/events?action=tribe_list&tribe_paged=1&tribe-bar-geoloc-lat=39.5500507&tribe-bar-geoloc-lng=-105.78206740000001&tribe-bar-geoloc=colorado&tribe_eventcategory=104

I've raced Lory, Buffalo Creek and both distances at Beaver Creek.  They've added quite a few new ones this year that look cool.  There is also a local race in September at Bear Creek State Park in Morrison called the Bear It All.  It's a sprint distance as well.

Lory and Bear It All are among the "easier" of the distances.  Beaver Creek is a killer because of the elevation and net gain on the bike.  Buffalo Creek is an amazing course with a longer bike.

Have fun!  I raced XTERRA exclusively last year and had a blast.  It's a laid back vibe but very competitive.  Great mountain bike skills for descending and climbing endurance are a HUGE advantage in XTERRA.

2014-04-14 3:42 PM
in reply to: kidblue44

User image

If you are looking for a september off road tri, the one in Fruita is going to be an xterra this year. I was signed up for it last year but got stuck in a snowstorm on vail pass and didn't get there in time. They moved the date from october to sEptember this year. I did the bike and run courses later that day and it was really fun. I'll be there this year for sure.
2014-04-15 9:54 AM
in reply to: robertbarker50

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally posted by robertbarker50

If you are looking for a september off road tri, the one in Fruita is going to be an xterra this year. I was signed up for it last year but got stuck in a snowstorm on vail pass and didn't get there in time. They moved the date from october to sEptember this year. I did the bike and run courses later that day and it was really fun. I'll be there this year for sure.

Robert, You are so right!!!!

The Desert Edge Sprint & Olympic are awesome races out here on the western slope. http://www.racingunderground.com/desertsedgetri/for more info. I believe this is the 3rd year & each year has evolved into a family festival atmosphere. Many of you might know Darrin from underground racing, which means you know he kicks A$$.

The lake swim is beautiful, the bike tours through farm land w/incredible views, & the trail run loops around the lake on perfectly packed single track. Highline Lake offers camping & Fruita Colorado has all of your coffee bagel needs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz2sVcKpBDkis a youtube video of the course!!!

So I ask," Do you have a reason why you can't make the trip???" I encourage you to travel on over for this event. You will be so stoked!!! Mark it on your calendar. Sept 13th 2014 XTERRA and Sept 14th Sprint & Olympic

And thanx again for supporting the western slope.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off road Tri's Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bear it all off road tri

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 2551 Posts: 24

2013-09-21 10:47 PM peto_primo

Cyclist Rides off High Grade Road

Started by rayd
Views: 2323 Posts: 3

2011-06-15 3:03 PM ouradventure

road bike or tri bike?

Started by mtbkr101
Views: 889 Posts: 1

2010-08-01 10:24 AM mtbkr101

Off road tri's and Cyclo-Cross bikes

Started by xmann1102
Views: 1323 Posts: 4

2010-04-21 12:01 AM skarl

anyone do the Indian Peaks off-road tri today?

Started by cologuppy
Views: 598 Posts: 1

2007-08-04 4:34 PM cologuppy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.