Ironman
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 56m 52s
Overall Rank = 1197/1259
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 164/170
Pre-race routine:

Well planned out carb loading for 48 hrs prior to race. 713 grams of carbs on Friday, 730 grams on Saturday.
Event warmup:

Good taper week up to Friday. Traveled Saturday, raced Sunday
Swim
  • 41m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. Arms were really sore during the swim, but I felt good. Kept it nice and easy and still had best 70.3 swim to date. Encouraging.
What would you do differently?:

Just try to stay on course better
Transition 1
  • 07m 22s
Comments:

Decent T1. 350 yard run to the T area. Had folks there to help remove suit. Went fine.
Bike
  • 4h 21m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 12.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Terrible bike. I was on the bike an hour longer than I should have been. Strong winds from the south on an East and West bike course. Seriously had a total of 6 miles of tailwind the entire ride. Just calculated that on maps app

Where to start:

Intentionally went easy for the first 30 minutes, assuming that would be about 9 miles out. After 30, I saw I had only gone 6 miles. Not good. But at that point, I was going 90 RPM, and had a Z2 heart rate. I was really torn as to what to do.

I opted to keep with the plan so that I would have fuel for the run. Other years where I've averaged 17 or 18 on the 56 course, I bonked bad on the last 3-6 miles on the run.

But that plan caused me to be on the bike an additional hour. I was super hot, and really sore from being in aero bars for that long. Psychologically I was not in good shape either.

Wish I had been able to take the bike out at home for a longer ride or two to get a sense of what speed I could get with 90 RPM and Z2.

3 1/2 hours of cross winds really didn't help either. I'm thinking I lost 3 or 4 mph because of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed

Need to get outside with the new bike and new RPM HRZ plan and see what I can do to best balance between conserving strength and speed

Had to pee a lot at the beginning of the ride. Need to maybe cut back on fluids. Just drink during nutrition.
Transition 2
  • 06m 19s
Comments:

Was ok transition. Really exhausted mentally and physically after bike
Run
  • 2h 39m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Weird run. Didn't feel that exhausted, but I was mentally really spent after the super long bike. I ran first three miles except for walking a few hills.

Second three miles was 1/3 run, 2/3 walk. Again, mentally spent.

Last half of the race was 1/2 run at a pretty quick pace and 1/2 walk. I'd run between one set of cones, then walk the next. Good strategy.

Felt pretty good at the end of the run. I really think if I hadn't had the extra hour on the bike, I would have had a PB on the run.

Best of all, no cramping what so ever this year. That's a first. And it was pretty hot, and the longest race to date. Better conditioning and salt tablets made all the difference.

Just wish I hadn't blown 60 extra minutes on the bike
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around for about 25 minutes and then got on the shuttle back to T1

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too long on the #@$% bike

Event comments:

Nutrition went really well for this race. Loaded up properly on carbs for 48 hours prior. Had a very well though out plan for nutrition during race.

Salt tablets made all the difference.

Very bummed about the bike and what that did for the run.

Keep wondering how much worse it would have been if I hadn't put in the hours I did. Just wanted better results for all the work done.

Last updated: 2014-01-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 100/170
Overall: 813/1259
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Swam in the harbor. N shaped course. Swam due east into first buoy. Got a bit off course headed to second buoy. No other real problems. Staggered start. 8 people every 10 seconds. Not a lot of bumping during the swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
04:21:32 | 56 miles | 12.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 167/170
Overall: 1345/1259
Performance: Bad
Tried super hard to stay in Z2 for the whole ride. This might have not been such a good idea. See below.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Flat course. Well marked. Could have used more aid stations.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:39:52 | 13.1 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 131/170
Overall: 1026/1259
Performance: Average
On the bike so long that the HR monitor starting dying! Didn't turn it on until mile 4. Wanted to run first 5k at an easy pace to get in the right mind set
Course: Really nice course. Skis turned overcast. Course was mostly east to west and then due south. So lots of cross winds and headwinds. But not as bad as bike. Lots of trees and structures to buffet here.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %-
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-15 8:52 AM

Regular
Lafayette, Indiana
Subject: Ochsner 70.3

2014-04-16 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4981904

User image

Subject: RE: Ochsner 70.3

I've read so many reports of people just being done after that bike.  I was done too.  Wind, heat, everything.   Bike was tougher than I thought it would be.  Great job gutting it out to the finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ochsner 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

Started by sesh
Views: 6446 Posts: 21

2009-04-10 5:54 PM draykus

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 3072 Posts: 12

2009-04-07 2:31 PM Trail_Runner

Started by aplohris
Views: 2299 Posts: 5

2009-04-07 4:20 PM LazyMarathoner

Started by aintaround
Views: 1680 Posts: 1

2009-04-06 1:57 PM aintaround

Started by mammatri's
Views: 3212 Posts: 13

2009-04-09 9:11 AM mammatri's
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.