General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming off 70.3, how would you set up your training plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-15 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Coming off 70.3, how would you set up your training plan?
I just finished my 1st 70.3. In mid-May I'll have my first Oly of the season and I'd like to perform well. I took on the 70.3 to (hopefully) help me get faster for these shorter distances by forcing me into some bigger training miles during the winter. I have about 3.5 weeks to prepare for the Oly.

What would you do? I think my workouts should look a different than my 70.3 prep, and I don't expect that anything I do now will drastically impact the race, but would still like to get sharp.

My run is my weakest link, followed by my bike and my swim is the least weak of the three (relatively speaking).

2014-04-15 2:47 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Coming off 70.3, how would you set up your training plan?

The sure way to not get faster at sprint or oly distance races is to train and race long course.  That's an oft imitated fallacy.  You might have better endurance but it was at the sacrifice of speed.

Your training 3.5 weeks out won't matter much at all but I'd focus on shorter and more intense bikes and runs.

2014-04-15 2:55 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

The sure way to not get faster at sprint or oly distance races is to train and race long course.  That's an oft imitated fallacy.  You might have better endurance but it was at the sacrifice of speed.

Your training 3.5 weeks out won't matter much at all but I'd focus on shorter and more intense bikes and runs.

Well...it depends what training for long course entails and where the OP is as far as overall fitness.

2014-04-15 3:17 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Jason N

Well...it depends what training for long course entails and where the OP is as far as overall fitness.

Agreed but I'm concerned with the general "I took on the 70.3 to (hopefully) help me get faster for these shorter distances by forcing me into some bigger training miles during the winter" line of thinking.  There's definitely a boost one gets by "overtraining" the race distance but at the end of the day, short course racing success comes down to being fast.

2014-04-15 3:23 PM

User image

Agreed but I'm concerned with the general "I took on the 70.3 to (hopefully) help me get faster for these shorter distances by forcing me into some bigger training miles during the winter" line of thinking.  There's definitely a boost one gets by "overtraining" the race distance but at the end of the day, short course racing success comes down to being fast.

I'm with you...but my guess is that many people (especially on this site) can get faster at shorter distances by doing a beginner/intermediate HIM training plan.  I think we can both agree that many of the beginner HIM plans are far less volume than you or I would do to focus on an Oly.

But back to the OP...not sure where you are at, but in general, I'd second GMAN's comments that it's likely a little late now, but more focus on intensity should help.

2014-04-15 4:13 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

I'm with you...but my guess is that many people (especially on this site) can get faster at shorter distances by doing a beginner/intermediate HIM training plan.  I think we can both agree that many of the beginner HIM plans are far less volume than you or I would do to focus on an Oly.

But back to the OP...not sure where you are at, but in general, I'd second GMAN's comments that it's likely a little late now, but more focus on intensity should help.

A few things. First of all, regarding, its "a little late now". I thought I was clear in my original comment that I knew things are not going to radically change in the next few weeks. I don't believe there is a magic 3 week plan that is going to be dramatic. My question primarily was related to how to bridge the time gap / transition between events. It sounds like the answer is more intensity, which is what i was thinking. This is a question I'm still learning how to answer: how to handle multiple races during a season when there is not a 6-12 week training period available to tuck a stock plan in.

Regarding the "fallacy" of my thinking...you may be right. But 3 years ago, I could not run 1 mile. I'm slow. So for me, I expect (and have seen) fairly substantial improvements with each season and from race to race. I do not have years of base to rely on. A piece of advice that I took from this forum last fall was something along the lines of "more training = more better". Doing the half distance early in the season forced me to keep on a plan during the winter months when I find it easy to slough off some workouts. I think it has worked. There was time that running 6.2 miles in itself was an achievement for me. Not anymore, I'm not intimidated by the distance. So that's progress.

Will it make me faster at the Oly distance? I don't know....but if it doesn't, I may quit the sport. I'm not trying to move from a 2:15 Oly time to a 2:10. I'm trying to move from the 2:40's to the 2:30's which seems like it should be a reasonable goal with work. Perhaps I'm off.

2014-04-16 11:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

That's a ridiculous statement.  All are endurance races.  Boost endurance = boost performance.

To the OP, as you get closer to your race you want to get more 'race specific'.  So, yes, the next 3 weeks should have more work at/around your intended race paces (even if that comes at the expense of some volume).  The details, though, depend a lot on exactly how you have been training thus far.  I don't think you are off in your approach at all.  Best of luck!

Edited by JohnnyKay 2014-04-16 11:32 AM
2014-04-16 12:26 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Miami
I think both Jason and GMAN made good points. Usually, to get faster, you need to train at a higher intensity; HOWEVER, it all depends on your starting point.

I’ve been always very athletic and more of an anaerobic effort types than endurance sports. Before I started doing triathlons 2-3 years ago, my 5k time was around 28 minutes. I didn’t race another standalone 5k until this year (my wife’s company was sponsoring the event) and I finished in 19:30. Since last year I basically trained by volume with almost no high intensity sessions as I shifted to 70.3 and IM distance races.

After a little over of 1 year of high volume and getting a good aerobic base, now I think I am ready to start throwing some intervals and intensity sessions to start seeing improvements again as I plateau in my run.
2014-04-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

That's a ridiculous statement.  All are endurance races.  Boost endurance = boost performance.

Which I basically said in my next response.  Well, not basically, that's exactly what I said.

My initial comment had a certain level of hyperbole to it.

2014-04-16 3:40 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Which I basically said in my next response.  Well, not basically, that's exactly what I said.

My initial comment had a certain level of hyperbole to it.

Well, that's not exactly what you said.  If that's what you meant, it still wasn't entirely clear.  For most triathletes here, training "more" is going to make them faster across all tri distances.  If training and racing long course helps accmplish that, it is highly probable they will get faster at sprints & olys too.  The "sacrifice of speed" is all but irrelevant for them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming off 70.3, how would you set up your training plan? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

70.3 Training Plan: No intense stuff

Started by mchadcota2
Views: 1411 Posts: 12

2013-06-07 9:22 AM yazmaster

70.3 Training Plans

Started by kstateskier
Views: 1573 Posts: 4

2013-05-28 4:26 PM TriBoilermaker

70.3 Training Plan Hours?? Pages: 1 2

Started by mramazon0822
Views: 5428 Posts: 36

2012-03-01 10:28 AM jbahjj

Taper for 70.3 in my 140.6 training plan

Started by enduropro
Views: 712 Posts: 1

2011-05-16 8:30 PM enduropro

Flexibility training plans for off-season training

Started by shadt31
Views: 986 Posts: 5

2005-11-18 12:08 PM shadt31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : November 17, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
At BeginnerTriathlete.com there are so many plans that there is no need to ever do the same plans twice in a row or even two or three seasons in a row!
date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.

date : October 23, 2006
author : Team BT
Three new 'focused' swim, bike & run 8-week winter maintenance plans to offer improvement on your limiters. There will be workouts focused on technique and some focused on volume, speed, & strength.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.