General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Road Cycling - Need Places to Ride in NW Suburbs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-15 12:41 PM

User image

New user

Subject: New to Road Cycling - Need Places to Ride in NW Suburbs
Hi BTers,

I just bought my first road bike, (Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival from Wheel Werks in Crystal Lake - really, really excited!!) so I can start riding/training for a few Tris this year (Lake Zurich, Naperville, Batavia?, Tri Rock Lake Geneva?).

I am brand spanking new to road biking and am looking for beginner-friendly places and routes to ride in the NW suburbs (I live in Arlington Heights). I rode last year at Busse Woods.

Anyone have any suggestions for me (routes, forest preserves, etc.)? Also, I have been looking into bike clubs in the area so if anyone knows any, please pass this along. I know Experience Triathlon rides out of Barrington - anyone ride with this group?

Thanks and happy training!

2014-04-15 1:23 PM
in reply to: sdienhart

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: New to Road Cycling - Need Places to Ride in NW Suburbs
EVERYONE rides out of Barrington. Everybody.

For a beginner road cyclist, Chicago Tri Club has a ~15 mile route that leaves from Barrington High School: http://pyramedium.com/prodengine/cahiers/201174317846.pdf. You can also loop it pretty easily (left on Ridge instead or right), and it has climbing, descents, and a nice straight-away. I would start there.

CTC has a few longer routes on its website too.

Velo Club Roubaix ( http://veloclubroubaix.blogspot.com/) has a ton of routes on their website, but no cue sheets.

Wheeling Wheelmen (my club, though I don't ride with them often now that I'm spending most of my time hugging my aerobars solo) has a ton of rides for all skill levels.

Arlington Heights has a cycling club, but I haven't ridden with them, so I can't speak more on the subject (even though I live in AH . . .): http://www.cyclearlington.com/. Tons of cue sheets on their website.

Personally, I would stay away from Busse Woods. All joking aside, there's too many inattentive people there and too many opportunities to kill someone, especially as the speeds you'll be hitting on your new roadie.

2014-04-15 1:57 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Elmhurst Bicycle Club has a ride out of Lifetime Fitness in Schaumburg that runs 55ish miles through barrington hills and back. It's a great, no-drop ride. They usually start that ride back up right around this time of year. Check it out.
2014-04-15 1:58 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Personally, I would stay away from Busse Woods. All joking aside, there's too many inattentive people there and too many opportunities to kill someone, especially as the speeds you'll be hitting on your new roadie.

I was just walking with my girl there on Sunday. I had to yell at her. I told her if she hears on your left to make sure she moved over and gets out of the way. She was like nah they have plenty of room. I told her we are the second most hated people out there at least by the bicyclists since we are on there turf. Only one that dislike us more are the walkers pulling wagons and walking 3 abreast.

I would go earlier in the mornings but a lot of running clubs I know use it for there group runs which could cause issues too.
2014-04-15 11:15 PM

Maybe take a look at Half Acre Cycling? They ride out of the city, but I think they cover some of the NW burbs regularly.

www.halfacrecycling.com
2014-04-16 3:15 AM

User image

I also live in Arlington Heights (Lake Arlington). While Barrington is a nice place to ride I tend to like riding in forest preserves myself. Less distractions to worry about and less sudden stops etc.

I really like Deer Grove. It is close by and usually isn't too crowded. I ride a 4 mile loop there that gives me a good workout. Busse is also nice but I like Paul Douglas in Hoffman Estates if you are around that area.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Road Cycling - Need Places to Ride in NW Suburbs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Rental in NW Suburbs?

Started by aarondavidson
Views: 1022 Posts: 3

2010-04-28 2:13 PM Whizzzzz

Bike routes near Chicago/NW Suburbs

Started by Dtharper
Views: 1859 Posts: 8

2010-03-10 8:52 AM coredump

Running Routes in NW Suburbs

Started by Maks Tri
Views: 1092 Posts: 7

2008-11-21 12:51 PM Maks Tri

Bike fit - NW suburbs

Started by gibboweiser
Views: 1288 Posts: 7

2008-11-18 6:49 PM nscrbug

Best Turkey Trot in NW Suburbs?

Started by aarondavidson
Views: 6568 Posts: 11

2008-12-10 8:00 AM aarondavidson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : December 14, 2004
author : Don Magie
Known for its brutal cadences, nasty sprints and 12-minute hills, the spin class seems to be the perfect substitute for a raunchy ride outside. But is it?