Saw Sports Productions
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 19m 6s
Overall Rank = 12/110
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Was sick most of the week so I didn't get to workout most of the week. Did some short easy efforts with pick-ups on Thurs and Fri. Starting Wed I watched to make sure I was getting a consistent ammount of water. Thurs and Friday I took quite a few smaller meals that were carb heavy, but made sure there wasn't any one significant meal. Biggest meal was Thurs night.
Saturday morning I woke up at 0445. I took my time getting dressed, and eating breakfast while watching youtube clips. For breakfast I had two pieces of ciniamon raisen toast with cinamon butter, a banana, and 500ml of beet juice. I took a bottle of perform with me to sip on while setting up transition, but my stomach was feeling sloshy so I drank maybe 1/4 of the bottle. We left the hotel at 0530 which got us to the transition area at 0600. I set up transition, got body marked and went to the bathroom by 0630.
Event warmup:

I went for a 5-10 minute bike ride. This was more to check everything out than to actually warm up. I did work through the gears and got a few pick-ups in. After I racked my bikes I went for a jog. I went about 1 mile total at 7:30-8 min/mil pace. I After that was done I went to the pre-race meeting, put on my wetsuit and headed down to the water. I got in the water at 0710. I swam approx 250m. I was going to eat my gel, but I realized that I left it in my tri top pocket that was now under my zipped wetsuit.
Swim
  • 28m 5s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well I have only swam a total of 20ish times since last June, so I can't expect too much out of the swim. It was a lot harder than I expected though. I really struggled sighting (obviously by the fact that I swam a ton extra). I didn't get any draft because it was really small waves and very mirky water (hard to see feet). I swallowed a lot of water due to the waves and trying to sight. Overall I just realized how much I have lost in swim fitness.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more leading up to it. But for the effort put into swimming, I can't be too dissappointed.
Transition 1
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

This was a long transition (0.3 miles from beach to transition area) up a sandy hill. I was able to grab my sandals and run up it pretty well. Wetsuit came off pretty well. I decided to take the extra 15 seconds and put socks on. The bike exit was tight so I put my bike shoes on as well.

Overall, it was pretty good. I could have pushed harder to run up the hill, but switching from swim to bike was pretty quick.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 48s
  • 40 kms
  • 37.04 km/hr
Comments:

Definitely learned the importance of pacing by power vs pacing by HR during a race. I would not have gone this hard if I was looking at HR, but the pace felt pretty good. I had one stop to try and help a guy who had crashed. Once the police came, I continued on. I at a GU at about mile 16 and drank about 1/3 of a bottle that had three scoops of perform in it.
I was going for a 250 avg power, but the downhills made it hard to keep that average. The two hills I was targeting 320 W while trying to stay around 250-280 for flats.
This is the first race I was able to stay aero the whole time other than when climbing the two hills. It made a big difference.

Overall I am pretty happy with the bike. I think I could have pushed the flats a little more to make up for the downhills. Also would help to not have a 30s stop in the middle or such slow turns.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Pretty quick and easy transition.

Only error was I forgot to hit my watch coming off the bike, but I will take that error. Overall it was a good transition.
Run
  • 41m 20s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 08s  min/km
Comments:

I got off the bike and saw that I needed around 41 minutes to get under 2:20. My plan coming in was to shoot for 6:50, 6:40, 6:30 mile splits for the first three miles and try and hold as close to 6:30 to close it out. I was pretty happy with hitting those goals pretty spot on (other than the 5th mile). I had a small side stitch during the first mile (proabably due to the gu on the bike), but after that felt pretty good. I didn't eat or drink anything and I am glad I didn't as I think it would have hurt if I tried to.

Not too much. I was pretty happy with the build and the pacing. I think I could have started my finishing kick a little sooner, but not a whole lot.
Post race
Warm down:

I collapsed on the grass and within 5 seconds Bryson was jumping up and down on my stomach. I walked around after that and tried to eat what I could, but eating and drinking were not appealing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I have had some mental hurdles that I have had to get over and today was a big break through on a lot of them. I obviously need to swim more, but the bike and run I just need to mentally believe it is there, and today was a big step in that direction.

Last updated: 2014-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:05 | 1500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/110
Performance: Average
Garmin file: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/478613247
Suit: Xterra Wetsuit
Course: 2 loop rectangular course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:48 | 40 kms | 37.04 km/hr
Performance: Good
Garmin File: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/478613249
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop with 2 hills. Approx 1000 ft of elevation gain total. Open to traffic with police at all intersections (a lot of intersections). One section of road work with traffic to one lane that got tight, other than that all roads had a pretty good shoulder.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:20 | 10 kms | 04m 08s  min/km
Performance: Good
Garmin File: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/478613253
Course: Two out and backs on bike path with small rolling hills, overall pretty flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-04-15 4:39 PM

User image

Subject: Big Rock Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Rock Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 3252 Posts: 16

2008-05-15 10:09 AM Tripolar

Started by mattkempf
Views: 2055 Posts: 7

2008-05-15 9:57 AM Tripolar

Started by VinemanCalifornia
Views: 1626 Posts: 3

2008-05-12 4:59 PM WaterDog66

Started by mixie
Views: 1357 Posts: 15

2008-05-15 10:18 AM Tripolar

Big Rock Olympic Distance Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by TriAya
Views: 4777 Posts: 41

2008-05-16 7:19 AM barqhead
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.

date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.
date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?