General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-16 1:37 PM

Subject: Running Shoes
Hi guys!

I've been running in an old pair of Nike's that are rather heavy and with 6 weeks before my tri and 8 weeks of runnings in these weights, I wanted to buy a pair that I'd have time to break in and that fit comfortably. I'm a size 10.5 in running shoes and have a semi-wide foot. Anybody run the following??

New Balance Minimus Zero V2- I dig the minimal design, but don't know how they would do with 5-7 miles/running sessions on the street

Asics Men's Gel Lyte33- like the amount of cushion and light weight

Anyways, wanted to know everyone's opinion based on training in these shoes and review of finishing a tri in these shoes. Thanks in advance!

2014-04-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: dbrophy15

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Subject: RE: Running Shoes
You don't mention what model of Nike's you are using, but judging from your description of "rather heavy" I'll assume that they are your standard running shoes with plenty of cushioning and a typical 10-14 mm drop from heal to toe.

If this is the case, I would strongly encourage you to stay away from any "minimalist" shoe with 0-6 mm of drop...you will destroy your calf muscles and possibly have issues with your achilles. Transitioning to something like this takes most people many months. Both of models you mention are 6mm or less of drop, so I personally would advise against either one based upon what you have stated...

Sure, knocking a few ounces off of your shoe weight is helpful, but you should not expect to see a significant difference in your running times...

If your current shoes have more than 350 to 400 miles on them, or are just "old" in general, then you should look to replace them. I'd head to your local running specialty store where they have a good selection and a reputation of knowledgeable people who are runners. They should watch you run, and then, based upon your cadence, foot strike, etc. recommend a few different models. Try them each out, run in each of them, and go with the one that "feels" right to you. I'd advise strongly against buying online without trying them on.

Best of luck to you!
2014-04-17 2:17 AM
in reply to: obohlman

Thanks for all the input, the Nike's i currently run in are the Shox. However, all of the athletic shoes/cleats that I've worn in the past have been more minimalist which is why I feel like I would prefer them. And thank you for recommending a running store, I contemplated it and now will be looking for a store with a strong reputation.

Hopefully I can make it in this weekend and I will follow up with all advice and recommendations I get. And hopefully some new running shoes

Thanks again!
2014-04-17 5:51 AM

User image

Do you have a good running store by you, that can actually do an analysis of your gait and figure out what type of shoes will work the best for you? Mine watches me walk (and I was a neutral), so we went that route for trying different types to see how they fit, and then they have a treadmill set up where they record you running and can look at you in that position as well (which showed that while I was mostly neutral, I did have a tad over-pronation on my run). So they actually recommended a lite stability shoe...

I guess what I am saying is, get fitted for a shoe that works for your foot type because the wrong type can seriously screw up your feet and that would be more pain than its worth
2014-04-17 9:06 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Not much to add here but the above advice is good.  Go and get fitted for a running shoe, yes it can be a bit more expensive to go to a shoe store but it is worth every cent.  I started running in a 'old' pair of Nikes as well.  It wasn't until I got a proper shoe that my running really started to take shape. 

2014-04-17 9:23 AM

User image

Pro

There are so many shoes out there for so many different feet and styles of running.  supportive, cushiony, flexible, minimal, low drop, normal drop, etc.

When it's time to buy new shoes, I read the magazine reviews, go on the running web sites, look at what other people are wearing, go into the store and tell them what I want to try.  Inevitably, the shoes that I thought were going to feel good, didn't, and I walk out with shoes that I never considered before.  There's just no replacement for trying them on.  A good running shoe store will have a few shoes in each category (but not every possible shoe), and hopefully, someone that will know about the shoes, will ask you all the right questions, and will guide you to some to try on.

NB Minimus and Gel Lyte33s are two very different kind of shoes.  I have no idea what will work best for you.  I can tell you what works for me- but I'm not sure that will help.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

shoeless,minimalist shoe VS. running shoes

Started by disturbed
Views: 3538 Posts: 11

2010-07-30 3:23 PM disturbed

bike shoes/ running shoes

Started by sbr2007
Views: 998 Posts: 7

2010-05-06 8:19 AM Lilac J

Trail running shoes vs. road shoes

Started by BellaDad
Views: 863 Posts: 3

2009-03-17 10:28 AM BellaDad

Casual Shoe Size VS Running Shoe Size?

Started by AMR310
Views: 1304 Posts: 4

2008-07-27 9:24 PM jonmetz

Shoe covers for running shoes???

Started by Zilla
Views: 1589 Posts: 5

2006-02-12 6:22 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : December 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?
date : July 30, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
Getting the biggest bang for your buck; some low cost means of improving your performance and preventing injury.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
I was able to spend one Saturday morning in the store conducting this interview and I learned a good bit of information about shoes and proper fitting.
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types

author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.