General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder soreness from swims..what do I do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-17 11:36 AM

User image

Groton, New York
Subject: Shoulder soreness from swims..what do I do?
Should I be switching up my strokes? I really only swim with the freestyle stroke since that is what I would use during a race. I have been finding that my shoulders are getting sore though. If I lift my elbows up (chicken wing style), I find I get some soreness and today while swimming I was noticing that that same soreness continued during my pull portion of the stroke. What can I do to prevent this from getting any worse? Stretches....strengthening exercises??

2014-04-17 11:46 AM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Ledyard, CT
Subject: RE: Shoulder soreness from swims..what do I do?
Are you crossing over the centerline of your body? I recently had someone point out to me that I tend to cross-over, I've been working on fixing that and my shoulders have been feeling much better after swims.
2014-04-17 12:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
It could be from stroke mechanics, but if you're like me it happens because you're not in top swimming shape or you're pushing the intensity over what your current swim fitness might prefer.

Switching up the type of stroke in your workouts might help the recovery (i.e. breaststroke) but I'd recommend stretching before getting in the pool and after. Bringing my arm across my body, parallel to the ground, and holding it against my chest seems to target the main shoulder muscle that gets used. I also do a series of forward arm circles to loosen up before hoping in the pool.
2014-04-17 12:48 PM

User image

New user
I had similar issues that plagued me off and on for the past 2 years. I saw doctors, did PT, looked on-line... none of it worked. I think the best thing you could do would be to get someone who knows what they're doing to critique your stroke in person at the pool. I actually had an opportunity to go here last time I was in Denver:

http://swimlabs.com/

• .. and in 30 min the instructor found 2 simple things I was doing wrong in my stroke that seem to have done the trick. After making the adjustments I've been pain-free for a month now. In my case the issues were:

• - my hand was too high in the water during the "reach" part of the stroke. Now, when my arm is fully extended I try to get my hand about 3-4" below the surface.

- during the pull I was torquing my shoulder because my hand was coming too close to my torso. Now I focus on making sure I get an early vertical forearm - AND - make sure that my hand stays deeper in the water throughout the pull.
    2014-04-17 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
    Sarasota, FL

First, I'd suggest that you have somebody knowledgeable (coach or an accomplished masters swimmer) take a look at your stroke and try to identify any fundamental flaws that might be causing the shoulder issues.

Even though you're primarily working on your freestyle, you also may want to try adding in some other strokes (breaststroke & backstroke) into your workouts to help balance things out.  During my warm-ups I'll do 100's where the 3rd 25 is a stroke other than freestyle.  I also will swim an easy 100 of another stroke between longer freestyle sets.

Personally, I also like to do some strength training in the gym.  You just have to be careful and not do too much where you end up reducing your flexibility and range of motion.

Mark

2014-04-17 1:37 PM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
    Try some backstroke, good for shoulder flexibility.

2014-04-17 7:20 PM

User image

Coach
    Stairway to Seven
    Originally posted by keqwow

Should I be switching up my strokes? I really only swim with the freestyle stroke since that is what I would use during a race. I have been finding that my shoulders are getting sore though. If I lift my elbows up (chicken wing style), I find I get some soreness and today while swimming I was noticing that that same soreness continued during my pull portion of the stroke. What can I do to prevent this from getting any worse? Stretches....strengthening exercises??

Find the root of the problem which is probably not strength or flexibility but your stroke mechanics. Find a good swim coach who has fixed this issue before (most good ones should be able to do so)

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder soreness from swims..what do I do? Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Shoulder soreness after long swim

Started by Oldteen
    Views: 1071 Posts: 9

2011-07-29 8:54 PM hemsmar

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
    Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

soreness in the shoulders on bike

Started by cstoulil
    Views: 843 Posts: 5

2011-01-17 12:45 PM mogulbumm

Wetsuit = shoulder soreness?

Started by syscrash
    Views: 3242 Posts: 5

2010-09-21 4:08 PM GoFaster

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
    Views: 1654 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 8, 2012
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 0
    How do you know the difference between muscle soreness and an injury? Learn several techniques to alleviate muscle soreness after a hard workout.

date : February 6, 2012
    author : AMSSM
    How to regain enough range of motion to swim freestyle after a shoulder injury or surgery
    date : April 28, 2011
    author : fivecents
    comments : 5
    What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
    date : October 7, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
    author : scoli121
    comments : 6
    I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"