Mid-Atlantic
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 53s
Overall Rank = 1642/2599
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 41/279
Pre-race routine:

My friends LT and Cuda and I left for Pottsville Friday afternoon, giving us plenty of time to hit packet pick-up which was much, MUCH more organized than last year (thank you), then take a tour of the brewery, cuz hey, ya know they give ya free beer at the end! But seriously, that's why we did the tour. Cuda and I had experienced the tour last year but when she asked if the new summer wheat was one of the beers on tap for the sampling at the end we decided to do the tour again, plus LT had never seen the brewery.

After the tour and tasting, LT looked for a gluten-free restaurant nearby (she has a gluten allergy) and found one that seemed nearby. We asked some locals and they said it's in the next town over, not too far. Cool. It was also in the direction of our hotel, double cool. Boy, was the restaurant the find of the year! Vito's Coal Fired Pizza: out of this world! I'd venture to say it may have been the best pizza I've ever eaten. We each got our own personal pie, Cuda and I each got a beer, Yuengling Summer Wheat, natch! I also got a piece of chocolate cake for dessert because a certain circle of my friends believes it's good luck the night before a race and I didn't want to tempt fate! Cuda shared some of it with me, but the other half went back to the room with us as did half of each of our pizzas.

A quick stop at Rite-Aid to pick up contact solution because I forgot to pack mine, then we checked into the hotel for the night. I slept horribly. We got up to get to the race site in good time to procure a good parking spot, preferably in the garage. Mission accomplished! We hung out in the car for a while, chatting, putting on race numbers and debating what clothes to wear given the chilly temps.
Event warmup:

No 'official' warm-up, as in a running warm-up. We stood in line for the port-o-johns, then met up with some friends and chatted until near the start when LT went to the fast corral and the rest of us stayed where we were in the 9-11 min/mile corral. I've been injured and not running much, so I headed into this race with very low expectations, and expectations of needing to walk/run and just take it easy. They opted to start us in waves, not sure how many but I think it was around 500/wave, 2 minutes apart.
Run
  • 36m 53s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 23s  min/km
Comments:

I started out running, well, 'running', very slow and easy. The first mile is all uphill, gradual, so I didn't want to do anything stupid right off the bat. There were a lot of walkers who didn't start in the walker corral that made things a bit tricky, a bit obstacle course-like. The trend of dodging walkers continued pretty much throughout the whole first mile. I remembered from last year's race that some folks had an 'alternate beverage' stop, so I kept my eye out for that since I wasn't taking the race too seriously. I spied what appeared to be a mimosa station at a different spot from last year, and the people seemed different, too; less eager to hand out beverages. I continued past, disappointed, especially when they offered one to the guy dressed like a beer bottle who was running behind me!

Finally, near the mile 1 marker, I spotted the people from last year, this year offering mimosas or beer. I veered off, grabbed a mimosa, toasted a few folks including one of the girls running the table and thanked them, drank it in a few swallows and headed back on course, happy. I was also happy to have been locamoting in a running fashion for the whole first mile!

The next section is mostly downhill, or at least downhill-ish, and it was here I was able to get in a bit of a groove and continue to run. My ankle and hamstring, the aforementioned injuries, weren't too bothersome. Oh yay, now it's time to go up, what looks like straight up! The cross streets between the major streets are all pretty steep little hills, some worse than others. I shortened my stride, hoping to be able to plug away and not technically walk. My chest started tightening up near the top because of my asthma, but I told myself I can make it and recover once I get to the top. I did and I did. :) I walked for a little to get my breathing and chest back under control, then resumed running. This part is also mostly downhill with a small rise, so I was able to keep an OK pace. Hmm, I thought, this is going much better than anticipated! Little pain in the ankle, none, really, in the hamstring. Cool, I think I can run the rest of this thing!

Soon there was another steep up on a cross street, by a cemetary (how fitting), ha, and mile 2! This one wasn't quite as long as the other, and my breathing didn't get as bad so I didn't stop to walk once I crested the hill. Kept cruising along, content. They moved the steep downhill to a slightly less-steep street than last year (another cross street) which was helpful but boy, it's still a quad burner! It was on the steep downhill I saw LT (who had already finished) cheering me on. I yelled at her as she yelled at me. :) I turned the corner with the remainder of the course on the downhill to the finish! I decided I might as well turn it up a few notches since I was feeling good and passed A LOT of people in that last section.

I neared the finish line and saw another friend cheering just beyond the line. After crossing the line, I headed over to her, still with a lot of momentum (and still moving downhill). She had her arms out as though to hug me, so I got to her with my arms out as well for the hug. Well, that wasn't quite how things played out...I hit her, rather literally, and we both went down before we knew what was happening. The resistance I expected to meet when connecting with her was absent. She bore the worst of it, being on bottom and having a big galoot land on top of her! I grabbed her and rolled her out from under me, a bit too late, on 'the bounce', LOL. Other friends helped us up, we were both laughing. She ended up with a bit of bleeding road rash on her elbow, a bruised butt and a sore ankle. I had the tiniest little scuff on my palm which was barely visible and a tiny bruise about the size of a nickel on my bicep which I didn't notice until later. I apologized no less than 100 times that day, mostly on the spot but also later. Who knew running was a full contact, tackling sport?!
What would you do differently?:

Not tackle my friend?! Otherwise, I'm happy with the race. It went better than expected.
Post race
Warm down:

Condensed version: Water. Beer. Pierogies. Ice cream. Lots of laughs with friends.

Longer version: Found LT again and told her the tackling story as we waited to cheer Cuda to the finish. She laughed like a hyena. Once Cuda completed the race, we found my friends and got in the beer line. As we neared the dispensing area, we saw none other than Dick Yuengling, the owner of the brewery standing getting pics with people. Everyone (of my group) but me left the line (hey, someone needed to keep our spot) to get pics with him. I ended up photobombing Cuda's pic with him :). After receiving our two free beers, we found a spot in the sun to chat and drink.

During our time at that spot we inherited two more beer slips and I found two more on the ground, score! We split the goods between ourselves, including LT's beers (she doesn't drink beer). The atmosphere is very fun. The street is closed off and lined with vendors selling food, shirts, jewelry, all sorts of things and there were live bands taking turns on a stage in front of the brewery. Yuengling recently restarted its ice cream line after discontinuing it in 1985, so we tried some free samples. Mrs. T's pierogies also had a stand there, giving out free mini pierogies (yum, I SO love pierogies and they are part of the coal/steel region culture). Smart marketing move on behalf of Yuengling and Mrs. T's: Yuengling had their wing sauce on the pierogies which was very tasty! I was able to meet and get a pic with the owner of Mrs. T's pierogies, Tom, who was very personable. In my attempt to get a pic of me with my pierogies, I got photobombed my LT and two complete strangers, hysterical!

We spent a fair amount of time laughing, telling stories, people watching and enjoying the sun. Eventually K and A left, so LT, Cuda and I walked the street to check out the goodies before we left. I bought some bourbon bacon popcorn. We decided we needed to hit Vito's before we hit the road to go home. I wish there would be a place with pizza that good in our area, but since it's only about an hour drive, we said we will make the drive just for pizza, it's that good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sidelined with various injuries since Dec. 2. I think I've run less than 10 times since that date and all runs were only around a mile. Fear of making any lingering injuries worse. But truly, all things considered, I'm happy with my time.

Event comments:

The race last year was very organized for a first time event, and the organizers learned a few lessons from last year and made this year even bigger and better. Kudos to all for a well-run race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:53 | 05 kms | 07m 23s  min/km
Age Group: 0/279
Overall: 0/2599
Performance: Good
Course: The first mile is basically a steady up, then slight downhill for about a half a mile, then up a very steep section which levels off. Next, at mile 2 is another very steep section, a little shorter than the last, then a mostly level, sometimes slightly downhill portion. Just before mile 3 is a very steep downhill, turn the corner and it's all downhill (part of the same street/section as the start)
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-04-18 3:42 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K

2014-04-26 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4983661

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K

Ha! What fun

You really put your all into finishing this race...as I'm sure your friend would agree. hehehe

And I may have had to wipe off a bit of drool after your food and drink pics.

2014-05-07 12:10 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

Alcohol and running - 2 of my favorite things!  Sounds like a really fun time.

2014-05-07 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4983661

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a great time! Nice job managing your speed (except maybe at the finish). Beer, ice cream AND pierogies?! Sweet!

2014-05-07 2:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice run!  Fun times with friends and beer, what more could you want?

2014-05-07 4:18 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Sounds like a fun race--and scoring a lot of good beer too!!  Fun times!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1243 Posts: 6

2013-04-19 3:00 PM reecealan

Torrimar Joggers 5K meet

Started by hlsantiago
Views: 2634 Posts: 1

2007-12-22 7:32 AM hlsantiago

Hudsonville 5k with jogger

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 1091 Posts: 3

2007-10-30 10:40 PM Shermbelle

Indy 5k w/ jogger

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 956 Posts: 1

2007-07-05 10:17 PM Shermbelle

Calvin Spring 5k with jogger

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 877 Posts: 1

2007-05-21 10:43 AM Shermbelle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.