General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Join a Tri club? First triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-20 6:56 AM

Subject: Join a Tri club? First triathlon
Hi all,

I'm new to triathlons after competing in other sports such as rowing and thought to ask the following question:

Would you advise joining a tri-club before your first tri or simply training along across the 3 disciplines and then maybe joining after?

I live in Paris and then are 2-3 clybs here.

Thanks in advance.

2014-04-20 7:15 AM
in reply to: Eclipse

User image

Groton, New York
Subject: RE: Join a Tri club? First triathlon
I don't think it is a bad idea to join a club...particularly one that actively sends out emails about group training opportunities. Our local club sends out weekly emails about group runs, rides, or swims that you can take part in. They are open to all levels, so sometimes there will be an "easy" ride for beginners, and a longer ride for the more advanced etc. etc. During the summer months the group meets twice a week for an organized open swim night where half the group does an open water swim and the other half of the group paddles along side then in canoes as support boats. Then on the way back, the two groups switch, so everyone gets a change at getting in an open water swim training session with the safety of having a support boat near them. It is nice to be able to ask for advice from other group members as well. Of course you can get plenty of advice here on this forum as well, but it is nice getting to meet some local triathletes if you can. Like I said...you don't NEED to sign up with the local club, but it might be helpful. It certainly won't hurt.
2014-04-20 7:16 AM
in reply to: Eclipse

User image

Expert
Floriduh
It really depends on if you want (or need) a social aspect to your approach to triathlon. Through clubs you can have access to group rides or workouts. My tri club often hosts speakers who provide some great advice. Not a necessary component to involvement in triathlon, but can be a nice accessory.
2014-04-20 8:16 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Personally I have never regretted joining my Tri club, the support that they offer is awesome, group workouts, splash and dash series ( supervised OWS and run once a week), Megaday training a couple of times a year with coaching and experts brought in to lecture , group rides, moral support for when you hit those training blues times. In 3 years I have never raced with them as a group as I tend to do races farther away and focus on sprints More then they typically do but that option is there as well. For me the cost to belong to the group is very very minimal for the advantages received.

Plus you can learn a lot for the more experienced racers especially when you start to consider longer distance racing, the club That I am in has a definite focus on Half IM and IM distance with many accomplished IM athletes in the group including a few multiple time Kona compeditors .

AT the end of the day do you need to belong to a club No definitely not, are there advantages to belonging to one I think so especially if the cost is reasonable.
2014-04-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4984063

Hi all,

Thank you for your response.

With regards,
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Join a Tri club? First triathlon Rss Feed