General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "The Experience" Frankenmuth, MI - Can anyone tell me about this race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 7:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: "The Experience" Frankenmuth, MI - Can anyone tell me about this race?
Annually my family goes to Frankenmuth for vacation, and last year I saw advertisements for a new race "The Experience."

I intend to participate in the Olympic distance Triathlon this year...did anyone try this last year for its inaugural run? Whats the route like? Any positives/negatives?

Any input is much appreciated. I've looked over the website at lengths but nothing beats a 1st person perspective!

Thanks,

E.

2014-06-16 11:11 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: RE: "The Experience" Frankenmuth, MI - Can anyone tell me about this race?
Just thought I'd bump this one last time to see if anyone could give me any insight on this race?

2014-06-16 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: "The Experience" Frankenmuth, MI - Can anyone tell me about this race?
I am sure its fun. The Coleman brothers are both racers and in charge of the event. They make a great effort to make sure their events are fun. I have not done this one, but one of their other races a few times in the past. If my schedule stays on path, I will be at this one this year.

There are a few others on here that did it last year, maybe they will chime in

I should add, I am off the week of July 21st. After the mandated trip to Kalahari water park, I plan on riding the course. It's actually not far from some of the roads I ride now. I showed the course to my 1st shift counterpart at work. He lives up there and said those are pretty decent roads.

Their are some good pictures on FB from last years race.

Edited by Puppetmaster 2014-06-16 4:20 PM
2014-06-17 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan

I did the sprint last year.  It was a good time.  The race starts off the ferry boat in the river.  Its an up and back river swim.  The bike is on pretty decent roads, outside of town so traffic was really minimal.  They had good volunteers on the course telling you where to go.  The run was also outside of town, thru the covered bridge i think.  I cant remember if they had that closed to traffic or not.  

There was post race standard light snacks and then at 5pm that night they did awards / beer tent / maybe had dinner i cant remember.  That kind of sucked b/c if you werent local you had to hang around frankenmuth all day.  Thankfully I live ten minutes away so I went home, but they wouldnt give awards early and kind of drug out awards that evening.

Was an alright race, i'd do it again since its so close.

2014-07-22 7:44 AM
in reply to: Shortyy

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Thanks for the replies. I have emailed 3Disciplines a couple times with no resopnse. Would you have any information on the follwoing questions? I've decided to do the sprint and not the olympic...time for training just hasnt allowed for it...lol.

-Is the swim wetsuit mandatory? Are they recommended or is the water temp. fine without?
-Where can I get a layout of the bike and run routes? I am interested in whether its a flat course, or any hills, slow grades or slopes?
-Is the transition from Swim to Bike include running up a ramp from the waterfront? Is this part of the T1 time, or part of the swim time? Is it a long distance from exiting the water to the Bike zone?
2014-07-28 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
How bout just one important question...were wet suits used last year? lol.

2014-07-31 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4984954

Wetsuits are not required but you can wear them, the courses are pretty flat, there are mats a short distance out of the water that is where your swim time ends and transition time begins.
2014-08-25 8:21 PM

New user

-Is the swim wetsuit mandatory? Are they recommended or is the water temp. fine without?
-Where can I get a layout of the bike and run routes? I am interested in whether its a flat course, or any hills, slow grades or slopes?
-Is the transition from Swim to Bike include running up a ramp from the waterfront? Is this part of the T1 time, or part of the swim time? Is it a long distance from exiting the water to the Bike zone?

I know this is late, but I did it this year and had fun. To answer your questions

-Not mandatory.
- Super flat
- It's part of T1 and yeah it's kind of long.
2015-01-07 7:58 AM
in reply to: Dexter_M

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by Dexter_M

I know this is late, but I did it this year and had fun. To answer your questions

-Not mandatory.
- Super flat
- It's part of T1 and yeah it's kind of long.

This race was amazing. The whole organization of the event was great and considering the tourist area it was really well put together. The food and drink, bag of goodies, etc. at the end was great and better than anything I've seen in Ontario at any event.

Water was warm, no wet suit needed though many wore them. (I didn't and was very comfortable.)
Your right, it was super flat. Bike was flat as a pancake, the run has some minor slopes near the end...
T1 was right from the paddleboat up the ramp to T1. At least a few hundred meters.

Only complaints:
-Spectators mulling through the path on T1. Most people were very careful not to go into the path, but there are always some people oblivious who dont pay attention. Had to call out to a few people I was coming through and it cost me a bit but nothing serious...
-The run through downtown had one intersection not manned by an official. So if you hit a red light it could stop you in your tracks had there been any traffic. Didn't effect me, but I could see someone getting hooked at the wrong time.
-The fork where sprint athletes ended their run and Olympic athletes started lap #2 didn't have an official at it directing people. some people (including me) ended up running down the second lap about 20m or so before turning around and going back looking for the sprint finish. Someone in the crowd actually told me where the fork was. There were a few of us bunched together so the signage on the ground wasn't visible. This cost me maybe 10 or 15 seconds...I went from 7th and finished 8th overall in the sprint... That being said I told the official at the end of the race about the issue at the fork and within 2 minutes they had someone there calling out directions...

Overall this race was amazing. I'll be back 2015 for sure. Taking the family and making a long weekend out of it in this amazing tourist area was the icing on the cake. Its a 4-5 hour drive (depending on the border crossing) so spending the whole weekend there made it an awesome mini vacation.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "The Experience" Frankenmuth, MI - Can anyone tell me about this race? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HUGE POST RACE PARTY AFTER FRANKENMUTH TRIATHLON

Started by coleman4tri
Views: 759 Posts: 2

2013-05-11 8:15 AM Puppetmaster

anyone one near romeo, MI

Started by fearisallinthemind
Views: 2120 Posts: 10

2011-07-28 3:53 AM fearisallinthemind

Any races in SW MI this Sat?

Started by Jason in MI
Views: 944 Posts: 3

2010-06-14 1:51 PM gobluedds

Anyone in MI doing TTT?

Started by rkreuser
Views: 774 Posts: 3

2008-11-24 12:29 PM rkreuser

anyone have a coach here in MI?

Started by kellc09
Views: 725 Posts: 3

2007-07-03 8:32 PM kellc09
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.