General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie considering first tri! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 7:32 AM

Subject: Newbie considering first tri!
Hello! I am 34, live in Indiana, and have been waffling between training for a sprint triathlon versus a half marathon. I got into running last summer and can do 5-6 miles no problem (haven't tried longer yet). I was a competitive swimmer in high school. I just joined a gym recently so I could get back into it, and 500-750m isn't a problem. I don't own a bike and haven't for several years, so I'm definitely looking for advice in that area. I don't even know where to start with looking for one. Thanks, hoping this forum is helpful!

2014-04-22 1:59 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Newbie considering first tri!

Hi and welcome to BT!

I'm also from Ft Wayne (Snider HS), but moved here to Sarasota about 26 years ago. No, I don't miss shoveling snow, in case you were wondering. 

I got my start in swimming a long time ago competing on the team at Glenaqua Swim Club in the summers.

Don't know what your budget is, but you can get a pretty decent new bike for $1200 - $1500.  Used bikes can also be a good deal. Lots of triathletes will "trade up" every few years, and be wanting to sell their old bikes. Suggest you get to know the folks at the local bike shops and let them know what you're looking for.  Some shops will have trade-ins available, or might know of one of their customers who is looking to sell their current bike.  As I recall, Ft Wayne has a pretty active tri club.  They may be able to help you out with advice also. 

I mostly do sprint and Olympic distance tri's but also do at least one half marathon every year.  I don think they're mutually exclusive.  In fact, I did my first half mary five years ago to help me with my running, which is my weakest tri discipline.

Good luck with your training and welcome,

Mark

2014-04-23 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4984960

Subject: RE: Newbie considering first tri!
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the advice! We actually just moved up here from St. Pete - wrong direction, I know - so we had to relearn how to shovel this winter. Good exercise at least, lol. I'm looking forward to getting started, and this site seems very helpful so far!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie considering first tri! Rss Feed