General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 6:45 PM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: Training Time
At the moment I traing around 9am in the morning, and I find this a good time as I am more if a Morning Person, as I become tired in the afternoon, and it the exercise makes me cope better throughout the day. However I have read that our bodies traing better in the afternoon? Is this the case? And should I adopt a new training time? Or is there really no optimal time, and the key to finding a time that you can stick to consistently and suits you lifestyle?

2014-04-22 6:50 PM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Training Time
Originally posted by Oggi

At the moment I traing around 9am in the morning, and I find this a good time as I am more if a Morning Person, as I become tired in the afternoon, and it the exercise makes me cope better throughout the day. However I have read that our bodies traing better in the afternoon? Is this the case? And should I adopt a new training time? Or is there really no optimal time, and the key to finding a time that you can stick to consistently and suits you lifestyle?

Train when you can get maximal benefits of the session and that suits your lifestyle.
2014-04-22 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone's "body clock" is a bit different, and if you feel better training in the morning and it fits into your lifestyle better, then do that. Personally I'm not a "morning person" at all--I'd sleep in until 8 or 9 every day if I could, and run at 11, but during the school year my job, weather, and traffic pretty much mandate that all outdoor running and biking take place between 5 and 7 AM. I do it because that's what allows me to train consistently. What you do want to look at is if your schedule allows you sufficient time to recover after/between workouts. if you're not starting the next workout tired/sore from the last one, then you're fine.
2014-04-22 11:53 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

New user
I train whenever I get time. I am NOT a morning person, so pre-sunrise training is limited here, but I do a lot of doubles (and sometimes triples) to fit in what I can with my work schedule. Sometimes that means finishing a swim or a trainer session at 9pm, 10pm, or later, but it works for me.

My only preference is run speedwork later in the day if I can. It's hard to push myself hard first thing in the morning unless it's off the bike.
2014-04-24 11:37 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by Oggi
Train when you can get maximal benefits of the session and that suits your lifestyle.
Great point here. There is no sense forcing yourself to work out in the afternoon just because of an article that you read.
2014-04-24 11:47 AM

The best time to train is honestly the time that you can do it CONSISTENTLY. 

Quality of workouts is worth considering, but is a much, much less significant factor compared to selecting a time that gives you consistency , meaning you won't be skipping workouts regularly for whatever reason. 

I am a morning person, but I'll still admit that I can do a hammerfest VO2 workout with more oomph at 2PM than my typical workout time of 4:30 or 5AM. However, the odds of me getting in a 2PM workout consistently, even on weekends, with family + work commitments, are low, whereas there is a 100% of me getting in a workout every day at 4:30/5AM.  The small loss of quality of more than offset by the consistency of training 6-7days per week without fail.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Time Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aquabikers - bike race times vs training times

Started by el-gato
Views: 992 Posts: 4

2011-09-07 10:29 PM el-gato

Swim time---Actual vs. Training Time

Started by Rencor
Views: 1071 Posts: 12

2006-06-29 6:12 PM Momida

Beginner Questions- Training time, Equipment, etc...

Started by asmiley72
Views: 769 Posts: 6

2005-03-23 8:50 PM Joe M

Training Times

Started by Caledonia Calling
Views: 870 Posts: 4

2004-12-09 12:22 PM Caledonia Calling

Training time

Started by ford5683
Views: 508 Posts: 1

2004-01-31 9:38 PM ford5683
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : February 25, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Discussions on runners knee in women, training by distance or time, overdistance training, bricks and strides.
date : October 5, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussion on training and weightloss, what to do if the cafeteria has no good food, sweet tooth problems and the importance of nutrient timing.

date : September 18, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 2
Here there are no judges, here I take out what I put in times ten. Here, in my church, I am reborn of spirit. And the next hill is upon me and I'm joyful for it. Joyful for the pain and the work.
date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.
date : April 2, 2006
author : acbadger
With a hectic schedule and the desire to throw in other forms of exercise, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. Would it be better to follow a training plan?

date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.