General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMTX Swim effort versus cost benefit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-24 4:19 PM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: IMTX Swim effort versus cost benefit
I agree with jonnyo - I think it should be a simple matter of there being a limit and if the water is below that temperaure wetsuits are legal and if over, no wetsuits for anyone.

I also have no problem with having different cutoffs for elite versus AG athletes but I think the cutoff should be a hard line.

Shane

2014-04-24 4:30 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod I agree with jonnyo - I think it should be a simple matter of there being a limit and if the water is below that temperaure wetsuits are legal and if over, no wetsuits for anyone. I also have no problem with having different cutoffs for elite versus AG athletes but I think the cutoff should be a hard line. Shane

And a third.  I think it would make people think twice about proper preparation for something like an IM (not referring to the OP, just a general statement)

2014-04-24 8:48 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by strykergt

It's not a 10 minute penalty.  You just start 10 minutes after the non-wetsuit swimmers.  Your finish time is still your finish time.  You don't get 10 minutes added.

The only "penalty" is that you would not be eligible for awards or Kona slots.

Thanks for clarifying Bob. For a while i thought the cut off time is reduced to 2:10:00 fir wetsuit users..... i plan to sign up this year and not dilly dally anymore ran out faster last year.

The cutoff time is reduced to 2:10 for wetsuit swimmers per the rules.  That stated, they gave wetsuit swimmers 2:20 last year... which was BS in my opinion.

Direct quote from the athlete guide 2014 for IMTX:

"*If the water temperature is in this range and you choose to wear a wetsuit, you will start after the non-wetsuit swimmers at 7:10am. Athletes electing to start at this time will still have 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the swim course, and must be out of transition and starting the bike course by 9:45 a.m."

You get 2:20 regardless if you wear a wetsuit or not. You just start 10 minutes after the non-wetsuit wearers.
2014-04-24 9:23 PM
in reply to: rcwso

No, you do not need to have your swim cap when you exit the water. I've been to a couple races where the water was pretty warm. You'll typically see a bunch of caps mysteriously flying off people's heads about 100 yards into the swim. While I'm sure its not legal to intentionally remove your cap. . . if it somehow gets knocked off. . . .who's to say.

2014-04-24 10:29 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Originally posted by reecealan

Well, this is just ME and you did ask what I would do. I would do the swim without an aid, even though a penalty was assessed. I wouldn't want any asterisk (actual or virtual) associated with my performance. If my bike and run pace are less than optimal because I burned too many matches on the swim, so be it, one of the reasons they call it IRONMAN!

I am asking an honest question about your post completely understanding this is your OWN position. Does your opinion change if it is a Mandatory wet-suit event? Would you not consider yourself an Ironman finisher for mandatory wet-suit events? What would be the difference?

This is purely my opinion, which of course we all have (especially Type-A personality triathletes), that if someone wants to wear the wet-suit for comfort reasons and it really doesn't have anything to do with their fitness level then so be it. There are some people that train as hard as everyone else and are in as good a shape (they didn't cut any corners during training) and just don't ever feel comfortable in the water. The water scares them and swimming any distance of triathlon makes them extremely nervous. They may have overcome some serious personal swimming fears to compete in the event. If the wet-suit adds comfort, then so be it. More than likely it isn't going add that much in performance to those individuals anyway. A lot of us AGers are going to get out of the water and go to a bike that weighs 3, 4, 5 or more pounds greater than the elite performers, not have a bike that is as aero-dynamic, and not have all the "cool" gear and therefore the "advantage or asterisk" from wearing the wet-suit on a non-required wet-suit event is completely thrown out the window anyway.

Again, I totally respect your own opinion. I am just sharing mine based on the thread topic and other "opinions."
2014-04-25 6:22 AM

It's not a 10 minute penalty.  You just start 10 minutes after the non-wetsuit swimmers.  Your finish time is still your finish time.  You don't get 10 minutes added.

6 of one. Half dozen of the other.

2014-04-25 6:54 AM
in reply to: SeeVee

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by SeeVee

6 of one. Half dozen of the other.

Doesn't seem like a time penalty to me - if it were, you would start 10:00 after the non-wetsuit swimmers started and that 10:00 would be included in your race time. Since it isn't, it would seem to just be a wave start where the first wave is competing for AG prizes and Kona slots and the second wave is not.

Shane
2014-04-25 7:36 AM
in reply to: rcwso

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by rcwso

Originally posted by strykergt

Thanks for clarifying Bob. For a while i thought the cut off time is reduced to 2:10:00 fir wetsuit users..... i plan to sign up this year and not dilly dally anymore ran out faster last year.

The cutoff time is reduced to 2:10 for wetsuit swimmers per the rules.  That stated, they gave wetsuit swimmers 2:20 last year... which was BS in my opinion.

Direct quote from the athlete guide 2014 for IMTX: "*If the water temperature is in this range and you choose to wear a wetsuit, you will start after the non-wetsuit swimmers at 7:10am. Athletes electing to start at this time will still have 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete the swim course, and must be out of transition and starting the bike course by 9:45 a.m." You get 2:20 regardless if you wear a wetsuit or not. You just start 10 minutes after the non-wetsuit wearers.

Good to see that change.  That snippet wasn't in last year's guide.

2014-04-25 7:38 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by SeeVee 6 of one. Half dozen of the other.
Doesn't seem like a time penalty to me - if it were, you would start 10:00 after the non-wetsuit swimmers started and that 10:00 would be included in your race time. Since it isn't, it would seem to just be a wave start where the first wave is competing for AG prizes and Kona slots and the second wave is not. Shane

Exactly.  I'm not sure why this is such an obtuse concept for some.

If you're doing a wave start and the first wave is at 7:00am but your AG doesn't go until 7:45am... do you hear people saying I have a 45 minute penalty.

Same exact concept.  Instead of AG waves they're using a non-wetsuit and wetsuit wave.  One starts at 7:00 and the other at 7:10.

2014-04-25 9:51 AM

User image

Ok it says you still get the 2:20 but if you start at 7:10 now your final cutoff time is 16:50 and not the 17 hours on the rolling clock. I mean that might not make much of a difference if your not skirting the final cutoff but it could for someone who is.

I am a slow swimmer and I am glad I will be doing CDA now chance of not getting a wet suit there for water temps
2014-05-14 5:09 PM
in reply to: mollys_dad

User image

Miami
Well, it turns out that the swim may be wetsuit legal after all...

I was kind of hoping to NOT be wetsuit legal. I haven't swam in my wetsuit in 2+ months and I am not a really big fan of cold weather. I swim a lot better without wetsuit due to my lack of practice with it, so I may not wearing if the water temp is around 70 degrees.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMTX Swim effort versus cost benefit Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Cost to Benefit ratio

Started by Livestrong191
Views: 969 Posts: 5

2009-05-22 8:19 PM Livestrong191

cost of bike v benefits Pages: 1 2

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 2493 Posts: 28

2009-05-20 5:35 PM gearboy

Cost/Benefit of long bricks?

Started by jsnowash