Sungai Liat, Bangka Island, Sumatera
ID
http://triathlon.bangka.go.id/?q=node/15
Total Time = 3h 35m 16s
Overall Rank = 23/41
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

We only arrived for the race the day before but it took so long to travel from the airport at Pankalpinang to Sungailiat that Yanti and I were putting our bikes together at 9pm the night before the race.

All I could do was some stretching at the hotel before pickup on race morning and I completed my bike setup at transition before race start..
Event warmup:

Warmup was a short easy swim of about 400m. It should have been longer and harder but I didn't have time.
Swim
  • 24m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

My first real triathlon is done and it was fun. 23Rd overall out of 41 and 3rd in my age group out of 15 was a satisfying first time result and I am already thinking about how to improve.

In the lead up to leaving Australia I was doing over 20 hours a week of training, mostly swimming with strength work a couple of runs and some stationary cycling.

However, in the 3 weeks prior to the event, in Bali I was only able to do about a weeks worth of swimming training and gym work but no running or cycling.

I managed to do a short warm up before the swim but it wasn't enough. I started the swim feeling stiff and slow but easily pulled ahead of the pack to be in second place.

The swim course was a clockwise circuit of a diamond. I managed to get to halfway without going too far off course but after that there was a lack of markers and I got lost. It cost me about 2 minutes (maybe more) and I was passed by the swimmer in third place who beat me by 20 seconds.

What would you do differently?:

More training.
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

My transition to the bike was a bit slow and I need to do some work on it but it was over 3 minutes faster than at the quadrathlon in December 2013.

My T1 performance needs some work but this was my first triathlon so I went in not knowing much. I can only improve.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 8s
  • 40 kms
  • 24.21 km/hr
Comments:

I started the bike leg feeling rotten. I spent quite a bit of time in the first 10Km thinking about how I really should have done the sprint but kept going anyway.

Eventually I warmed up and felt good. Shortly after that I passed the 20Km sign. Along the ride course the potholes had been filled with sand. In many places large piles were left on top so riders could see where they were... I couldn't and hit a few. There was also a lot of sand on the sides of the road.

Thin racing tyres and sand really don't mix and it was potentially dangerous. The organisers need to find a better way to fill holes next year but the course route was ideal. It alternated between jungle and small villages where all the locals were out on the side of the road cheering.

The winding, undulating course was moderately technical and required a bit of thought. I hope the organisers don't change to a free-way ride next year.

Next time I tackle a triathlon I will have done some cycling training. I think I can take about 15 minutes off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Transition from bike to run was reasonable and there isn't much I can do to improve it. It was about 40 seconds slower than at the quadrathlon.

I don't think I can do much to improve this. At best I might be able to take 30 to 50 seconds off with practice and better pre-race preparation.
Run
  • 1h 25m 45s
  • 10 kms
  • 08m 34s  min/km
Comments:

Nice location but very hot.

The run was quite slow but it is my weakest leg and my complete lack of training showed. Water stations were every couple of kilometres but in the heat they needed to be every kilometre.

Next time I will have trained. I think I can take about 10-15 minutes off.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Training - minimal swim training in the month prior and no run or bike training. In fact I hadn't even been on my road bike for 5 months before the race.

2. Poor road condition in places forced me to keep my speed down at times when I could have gone faster.

Event comments:

Overall this is a great event.

Potholes need to be fixed properly (piles of sand on the road are a serious hazard, especially if you can't see them) and there needs to be more drink stations on the run course.

But, the race organisers did the best they could with the resourced they had and the event is in a very remote location. It is primarily intended to be a relaxed, fun event and is not intended to attract athletes looking for high level competition and in the respect it succeeds.

Last updated: 2014-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:33 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 3/41
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: The course was a diamond. The four sides were 250m, 500m, 500m and 250m. Marking for the first half was reasonably good but poor for the second half.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 30C / 86F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:39:08 | 40 kms | 24.21 km/hr
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 30/41
Wind: Little
Course: A single 40Km loop. This year the course was brilliant. The road condition was variable with potholes filled with sand but it winds through jungle and villages making for a very scenic and slightly technical ride. There are small rolling hills also.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:25:45 | 10 kms | 08m 34s  min/km
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 28/41
Course: The course was a straight out and back run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-24 5:40 AM

User image

, Western Australia
Subject: Sungailiat triathlon

2014-04-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4986124

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Sungailiat triathlon

Great job on your first race, Kingsley, and congrats on the AG award!  It seems you've learned some lessons to be even faster next time.

2014-04-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great job tackling an Olympic distance as your first triathlon  & just days after the wedding!

Congratulations!!

2014-04-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4986124

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great Job, Congratulations!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sungailiat triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festivals (My First Triathlon, My Next Triathlon)

Started by JBD
Views: 1329 Posts: 1

2007-05-14 8:13 PM JBD

PlayTri Triathlon - Olympic Triathlon

Started by davidb
Views: 2254 Posts: 6

2006-05-16 11:11 AM mginani

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Started by hobiecat18m
Views: 2078 Posts: 2

2006-04-17 2:53 PM drdi

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon