General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-05-28 12:03 PM
in reply to: Jayabusa

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : One week away
Originally posted by Jayabusa

You got to love taper week. Tired, grouchy and achy. Must be working.....How's everyone else doing?

tired...grouchy and achy...

that about sums it up for me!

2014-05-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Master
Northern IL

Good luck you guys!

2014-05-29 6:50 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Long Island, NY
My wife is doing the OLY on Saturday, So we are leaving tomorrow. Good luck to everyone !!!!
2014-05-29 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

My wife is doing the OLY on Saturday, So we are leaving tomorrow. Good luck to everyone !!!!

Good luck to you and your wife.

As a reminder, I will be sitting around with my wife, working on replentishing my glycogen stores with simple carbohydrates in the form of ice-cold beer post race.

Everyone is invited to find me and tell tall Quassy tales. It'd be great to meet anyone from BT.
I'm buying first round!

I'll be:
-the one swimming like an anvil
-riding the black, stealth cervelo
-running with sagging shoulders and head down looking for ice cubes and a seat to rest

2014-05-29 4:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Carmel
Ill take you up on the 1st round, I always look forward to my after race pints.

My buddy Rich is racing also, we will re-live this pic from about 30 years ago at Quassy and then again after IMLP.

Edited by MForger18 2014-05-29 4:03 PM

(richandmatt.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
richandmatt.JPG (387KB - 19 downloads)
2014-05-30 6:05 AM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread
Good luck everyone. Thanks for the help with bike/power stuff. Looking forward to the challenge.

Question for the Quassy vets re: park access. Unfortunately I didn't study the road closures etc closely enough until now, and it looks like we need to change our plan.

We're bringing the family, including kids 5, 3, and 1 and my parents. We're staying at a hotel about 10 minutes away.

The plan was to get up the park around tomorrow around the time it opens, spend the day at the park. On Sunday, for my wife and oldest child to join me for the start, then head back to the hotel and meet up with me again later at the finish with the rest of the family and spend the rest of the day in the park.

How big of a PITA will it be tomorrow to get into the park? The important road closures should be lifted by the time we get there, and I'm guessing many or most of the Oly racers will leave not too long after finishing so the parking lot at the park should open up some. Unreasonable to think that?

On Sunday, if my wife and daughter join me for the start and we are able to park at Quassy, will they be able to get back out with the car to go back to the hotel? Looking at the race info i'm guessing no.

If anyone here has done this race with family (especially including young kids) what did you do?

2014-05-30 7:54 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by braciole

Good luck everyone. Thanks for the help with bike/power stuff. Looking forward to the challenge.

Question for the Quassy vets re: park access. Unfortunately I didn't study the road closures etc closely enough until now, and it looks like we need to change our plan.

We're bringing the family, including kids 5, 3, and 1 and my parents. We're staying at a hotel about 10 minutes away.

The plan was to get up the park around tomorrow around the time it opens, spend the day at the park. On Sunday, for my wife and oldest child to join me for the start, then head back to the hotel and meet up with me again later at the finish with the rest of the family and spend the rest of the day in the park.

How big of a PITA will it be tomorrow to get into the park? The important road closures should be lifted by the time we get there, and I'm guessing many or most of the Oly racers will leave not too long after finishing so the parking lot at the park should open up some. Unreasonable to think that?

On Sunday, if my wife and daughter join me for the start and we are able to park at Quassy, will they be able to get back out with the car to go back to the hotel? Looking at the race info i'm guessing no.

If anyone here has done this race with family (especially including young kids) what did you do?

My kids are older now, so I can't help with that part.

I remember driving in for registration on Saturday ~noon and there was not any real problem with parking at the park. Lots of bustle about with the Oly finishing up. My wife drove in on Sunday for the race but did not park at the park. She shuttled in from one of the outlying lots and was able to get out without too much delay, but you had to wait for the shuttle...

I don't think anyone with cars at the park will easily get out on Sunday, but late am on Saturday should be OK. During the race, they waited and waited and waited for the racers to go first, before exiting...better to be in an outlying place and shuttle in, IMO.
2014-05-30 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Originally posted by dtoce

I don't think anyone with cars at the park will easily get out on Sunday, but late am on Saturday should be OK. During the race, they waited and waited and waited for the racers to go first, before exiting...better to be in an outlying place and shuttle in, IMO.

I think you just saved me a big headache. I was going to park at the Quassy lot as I did last time. But last time I hung out with the family after my race was over. Now I'm leaving as soon as I can walk/stand, so better to park offsite even if there early AM I guess.
Thanks
2014-05-30 12:17 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by bdenehy

Originally posted by dtoce

I think you just saved me a big headache. I was going to park at the Quassy lot as I did last time. But last time I hung out with the family after my race was over. Now I'm leaving as soon as I can walk/stand, so better to park offsite even if there early AM I guess.
Thanks

To be clear-
Getting out in the morning on Sunday during the race will be a problem from the main lot-there was NO problem getting out of that lot in the late afternoon...but I didn't leave right away as I hung out and worked on my tan and fluid intake
If your family is going to want to leave and come back, it could be a problem

The shuttles aren't that bad..I'd lean that way, if I were you.

Getting into the lot on race morning was a pain as they only seemed to enter through the one line, but I got there around 5:30am -- waited in the long line of cars to get in to the park and had plenty of time.
2014-06-02 3:12 PM

User image

New user
So, how'd you all do?

I was 6:37 overall. Just 7 minutes off my prior (non-Quassy) HIM time. Swim was 00:39 -- a little slow for me but not much, and this was my first OWS of the year and I had a goggle issues right away that I had to stop to fix while floating on my back. Had big problems sighting with the sun on leg 2 and swam all over. Bike was 3:51. Did good pacing with power for the first time. I was going brutally slow a lot of the time and felt like i literally got passed by everyone on the course, but the goal was to finish strong and have enough left for the run. i did that. Was brave on downhills and hit 43+ mph a few times. Had a few "first race of the year flubs" which definitely cost me time on the bike. Run was 2:00. That's a :15 PR for my HIM runs. Ran well, felt strong, paced well, and didn't walk.

Course was a beast, but beautiful. Weather was perfect. Had a blast up there the whole weekend. Hope you all had a good race.
2014-06-03 9:24 AM
in reply to: braciole

User image

Long Island, NY
6:47 here swim, 43:00 Goggle kicked off. Guy swam over me so I reacted and grabbed his leg and he kicked me with the other. Swam an extra .10 according to 910. Looks like I was lost with the sun or course was long. Came out of water fresh. 3:30 bike as planned. Run mentally defeated me. mile 4-5 up that dirt hell road killed me. 10-12 hanging on. 12-13 I thought are you kidding me!!! 2:22, 10:55 pace. I thought I had the legs for a 9 min pace when I got off the bike. Theirs always next year

2014-06-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I survived...and I'll take my 6:03 time, with 2.5 minutes in a port-a-john, but I still wouldn't have cracked 6hrs on Sunday...

Had a very tough day due to some GI issues, that I've never had before. But, able to hold it together enough with even pacing during all 3 disciplines.The course is a true test. I always forget how much fun it is flying down the hills on the back half of the bike.

Challenging venue. The iced towels are the best thing ever! The hills, no so much. The weather really was perfect this year.
(oh, and the cold beer isn't too bad-Harpoon IPA=yum)

Edited by dtoce 2014-06-03 10:58 AM
2014-06-04 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

10-12 hanging on. 12-13 I thought are you kidding me!!!

Ain't that the truth. I remember seeing 6:21 on the clock with about a mile to go, thinking "yeah, an 8 minute mile to finish strong, for sub-6:30" and then that last hill kicked me in the teeth and stomped my hopes and dreams.

Ran a 6:32, which is pretty much as expected. Run was a 2:14, against my flat HM PR of 2:01 last November, so I'll take it.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by cornick
Views: 18103 Posts: 130

2013-06-03 9:08 PM Major BC

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 18358 Posts: 159

2012-06-05 1:21 PM frnk36

Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ShawnFromNorfolk
Views: 11118 Posts: 59

2011-09-12 4:21 PM matthewwise

Rev3 Anderson - Half Rev : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by JPS0135
Views: 8754 Posts: 33

2011-10-09 3:59 PM matthewwise

Rev3 Quassy Half : Official Thread

Started by Mcluvin22
Views: 5068 Posts: 12

2011-06-03 6:45 PM jsklarz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: