General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First half ironman training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-25 12:36 PM

Subject: First half ironman training
I'm training for my first half in Sept. I'm going to use one of Matt Fitzgeralds programs from the week by week book. My swim is the strongest leg, so I like that I can "customize" the plan according to my strengths. My weakness is running. I've got 2 cranky knees. I've done plenty of half marathons, but now I do a run walk interval. Keeps my knees happy. How do I manage the runs in the training plan when all the workouts are done by time and not distance? Should I just increase the times I am running? How many miles should I top out at, towards the end of the 20 weeks?

2014-04-25 7:33 PM
in reply to: Holly1215

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: First half ironman training
I would say if you have ran/walked in the past to keep your knees happy, and have found that works, stick to it. My knees suck too (currently unable to really run at all due to some knee issues), and ultimately, it doesn't matter if you improve your fitness if your body (see knees) don't agree with you. Obviously, shoes, braces and the like can help with knee issues, but if those don't help, I would focus on keeping your swim strong, having good fitness on the bike and doing what your knees will allow you to do on the run. I am by no means a fast triathlete, and I typically try to run the miles and walk the aid stations on the run potion of a HIM anyhow.
All that to say, put the suggested time in on the run training, but don't be worried so much about it all being actual running if your knees don't agree with it.
2014-04-26 1:18 AM
in reply to: #4987016

User image

Subject: RE: First half ironman training
Hi. I just did my first Half as well. In my plan there was 2nd last week was tapering and the last week just very easy. Before that there was one long run per week, increasing by about 2km per week until the max distance of 20km the last week before tapering.
In between was obviously recovery weeks as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First half ironman training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

muscle gain while half ironman/ironman training?

Started by calebTris
Views: 4337 Posts: 13

2014-03-05 6:06 PM jennifer_runs

Conflicting training with Ironman and Half Ironman

Started by sshattuck
Views: 1072 Posts: 4

2010-05-09 5:32 PM sshattuck

Ironman and Half Ironman Swim Training Sets

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 2011 Posts: 13

2009-11-20 7:53 PM trix

DOING FIRST HALF IRONMAN!!!

Started by ff829
Views: 824 Posts: 4

2006-06-13 10:07 PM DerekL

First Half Ironman

Started by Capone
Views: 728 Posts: 5

2006-01-10 8:50 AM pkingfl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.
date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.