General Discussion Race Reports! » Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wills Point, Texas
United States
Big Earth Racing
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 29m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

arrived late as we ended up staying at my parents house. The hotel that we booked completely messed up the reservations and the room we were given was terrible…not to mention that the hotel looked very ghetto.
Event warmup:

minimal since we arrived late. I had time to set up my stuff in transition and pulled on my wetsuit while the first waves was heading out. Luckily, my wave was second to last (I think 6th overall wave) so I had time to take a short swim off to the side.
Swim
  • 46m 38s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim sucked it up big time. It was only my second open water swim period but the first was much better than this. The weather was forecast to be terrible. The rain held off but it was quite windy. I think it was sustained winds of 20mph and gusting to 35mph. As of right now, I can only breathe comfortably on my right side….well, guess which way the waves were coming. Yep, right in my face, mouth, nose, etc. I spent a little more than half the course doing breast stroke trying to keep the water out of my mouth and nose. It took me about 2/3rds of the course to finally calm down and settle in to my freestyle. By that time, the damage was done and the time was terrible. At the end though, once I fell into my rhythm, my freestyle was very comfortable. There was a moment in there where I was really close to raising the arm up in the air and letting them pick me up on the jet ski, but I wasn't going to just give up, so I kept on. I came out of the water with maybe a dozen swimmers behind me.
What would you do differently?:

Need more open water swim practice!! Practice bilateral breathing in the pool or calmer waters.
Transition 1
  • 05m 16s
Comments:

There was a bit of a run from the beach up to the boat dock but there was a carpet once you got off the beach. The course directors had a kiddie pool at the opening of transition to rinse off your feet since we were coming off the sand beach. I took some time to get the dirt off my feet as I wear socks on the bike (and run). I took one GU gel hopping onto the bike.

Nothing. Things went smoothly for me as this was my first Olympic distance race and only my second ever triathlon.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 24s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 15.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like the bike went well for me. I typically average 15mph in training. I decided once I got onto the bike that with the winds being so strong that I was going to simply ride by feel. I took it easy in the beginning with the headwind so as to not burn out my legs. I knew that as long as the wind did not shift, that I would have a significant tailwind on the return trip. With about 4 miles left on the bike, the rain started. Fortunately, it was a light rain and not a downpour or thunderstorm. There were no aid stations on the bike course, so you were responsible for bringing your own hydration/nutrition. I took one more GU heading back into transition. I planned to take a third later on but it flew out of the pocket of my tri top at some point.

Nothing. I felt good coming off the bike and I wanted to make sure to save my legs as I hadn't been running much coming into this race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I was pretty quick coming off the bike and sliding into my running shoes, but I needed to make a quick stop at the port-a-potty. Of course, both were occupied (there were only 2!), so I had to wait. Luckily, the wait was probably only a few seconds but felt like forever just standing there.

Nothing. I'm happy with this
Run
  • 1h 00m 59s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I haven't been running much recently as my left knee has been sore. Nothing too painful, but just a reminder that it is there. I had been taking it easy running as I'm trying to build up to a half iron distance in july and I don't need a serious injury now. The knees were a bit stiff coming off the bike but loosened up about a mile in and never gave me a problem after that.

Run more if the knee will allow it. It seems to be getting better, so it's time to run some more.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my husband and my parents at the finish line. I grabbed a banana and a water. There was no other food or drink…I'm not sure if there was other stuff available and was simply gone by the time that I finished or if this was everything. I went back to transition and packed up my stuff and walked back out to the car and loaded up for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind played a significant role in the swim and the bike, but I finished in my projected time, so I'm very happy. That shows that if the weather was a bit nicer, I would have been (hopefully) ahead of my projected time

Event comments:

Overall this was a good race. I would do it again. It showed me how much more I need to work on my open water swimming as my pool times were so much faster than my times in this race. Also was a bit upset that there were no aid stations on the bike course but almost too many on the run course, but we were warned ahead of time so that makes up for it. As long as you planned correctly, you were fine for the 24.8 miles.

Last updated: 2013-11-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:38 | 1500 meters | 03m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:33:24 | 24.8 miles | 15.93 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This was a simple out and back with only two turns. The winds were hellacious. At the beginning of the bike course, there was a headwind. About halfway out to the turnaround, we made a turn and it was more of a crosswind with some gusts. Needless to say that once we turned around, there was the crosswind but the final stretch home had a pretty nice tailwind which I tried to take advantage of. Reviewing my splits I was average 13mph for the first 5 miles and 19.5 for the last 5 miles. Once we made the turn onto why 47, the road was all chip seal and rough as hell. I was afraid my speed fill a2 on the z4 mount was going to go flying, but it hung in there really well. I didn't even get any water in my face.
Road:   Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:59 | 06.2 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: This was an out and back with a partial loop. Even looking at the race course ahead of time, I was confused. The out part is simple, but coming back in, I had no idea where the turn around was. I ended up asking another racer that had the black bib number indicating that they too were doing the olympic course and not the sprint. Once I hit the turn around, I remembered that big hill on the way out would have to be repeated. I had planned previously to run the entire course but walk at the aid stations. I think I hit 4 stations but skipped the rest. My hydration was pretty good. I managed to stick to the plan and only walk when trying to drink water. After having most of Lake Tawakoni going up my nose earlier, I didn't want more to joint it. I did rain a bit on the course but nothing severe. It did raise the humidity though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-04-27 8:29 PM

User image

Subject: Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wiki Wiki Man Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Renegade M3 Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by byoung73
Views: 678 Posts: 1

2012-10-14 6:06 PM byoung73

Wiki Wiki 10K

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 945 Posts: 1

2012-10-09 2:05 AM DiOnMaui

Sports Chalet Magic Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by alex_korr
Views: 1084 Posts: 1

2011-10-12 1:00 AM alex_korr

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1944 Posts: 5

2011-10-17 12:12 PM Erincsg

Started by waupaca11
Views: 1123 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 11:36 AM waupaca11
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.