General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-05-15 9:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet....
Ok here is my car

I was thinking the 140.6 would look great upper left corner and just get a M dot for the upper right corner (I had to sneak stickers on it slowly as the wife was opposed to them) I know I am not doing CDA until next June but cmon why wait until then.

When my wife is not looking one of these days I may go crazy and completely litter the car with stickers I got them in the wings ready to go.

I think thats 14 stickers I mean completely cover my car, 13.1 sticker, triathlon sticker, two Saint George Marathon stickers, 26.2 sticker, 70.3 sticker, Saint George 70.3 sticker, top of utah marathon sticker, triathlon booyah sticker, parowan half marathon sticker, Sand Hollow marathon sticker, ironkids sticker and under that several Saint George Running stickers

Edited by sirdizzy 2014-05-15 9:42 AM

2014-05-15 9:48 AM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by sirdizzy Ok here is my car I was thinking the 140.6 would look great upper left corner and just get a M dot for the upper right corner (I had to sneak stickers on it slowly as the wife was opposed to them) I know I am not doing CDA until next June but cmon why wait until then. When my wife is not looking one of these days I may go crazy and completely litter the car with stickers I got them in the wings ready to go. I think thats 14 stickers I mean completely cover my car, 13.1 sticker, triathlon sticker, two Saint George Marathon stickers, 26.2 sticker, 70.3 sticker, Saint George 70.3 sticker, top of utah marathon sticker, triathlon booyah sticker, parowan half marathon sticker, Sand Hollow marathon sticker, ironkids sticker and under that several Saint George Running stickers

You should add a bumper sticker that says "My Other Car Looks Normal". 

2014-05-15 9:56 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
If you finish an IM, is it OK to have this one on your car?

2014-05-15 10:02 AM
in reply to: Tootshibbard

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
As long as it doesn't say "Finisher" who cares? IM is just another brand these days, they sell IM bike shorts at Sports Authority. I wear workout clothes with a "Swoosh" on them most days, no one assumes that I work for Nike.
2014-05-15 11:02 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

I've yet to DNF but I have been DFL three times now. First one was for a dualthon where I got 2 flat tires and rode off course several miles I tried to catch the person in front of me on the last run loop but fell 2 minutes short (saw him on his second loop half way through my first loop). We were then DFL for the ironkids one mile run with my three year old. Then we were DFL on a 5k with the three almost four year old last September I think we had a 1:15 5k but we finished.

Do they sell DFL stickers I should get one of those.
2014-06-01 1:18 AM

Veteran
Honolulu
I got my first DNF today but I did complete the entire 70.3. I just missed the cut off time by 21 minutes. I feel pretty I still got a medal and finishers shirt. The lady said I did the distance and crossed the finish line. Thoughts?

2014-06-01 4:46 PM

Originally posted by Tootshibbard

This thread is more tongue in cheek. However I was on Amazon and I was thinking about getting an Iroman visor. So far the most I have finished with an Olympic distance.

So, do you think its kosher to buy and wear Ironman gear or do you think that its only an honor that should be reserved for finishers? Is the feeling akin to the Stanley Cup in the NHL where players dare not touch it until they win it.

For me, no way! It took me three attempts to finish my first ironman. (2X DNF at IMTX due to cramping on the bike) The first IM, my wife bought all kinds of gear (hat, shirt, etc), i refused to wear any of it until i finished one.
2014-06-01 5:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by HonoluluAngel

I got my first DNF today but I did complete the entire 70.3. I just missed the cut off time by 21 minutes. I feel pretty I still got a medal and finishers shirt. The lady said I did the distance and crossed the finish line. Thoughts?

Ms. Honolulu,
If there's one thing I've learned, its that this sport is such a personal thing. It's not a team sport. You're out there, with other athletes, supported by many, but in the end it's you swimming biking and running. If you feel that you earned that shirt, and that medal, then cherish it. If anyone gives you crap about it, so what? All that means is that he/she is a D bag. If you feel like you didn't 'earn it' by following the time cutoff rules, then see it as a challenge for the next time around. Personal achievement and satisfaction is a big part of this sport, whether it's setting a PR or just finishing. My point is to set your goals, do what you can to achieve them, and don't let anyone else make you feel unaccomplished if you feel like wearing a shirt or keeping the medal.

Editing to add- Congrats by the way on finishing, and for getting to the start line in the first place

Edited by trijamie 2014-06-01 5:32 PM
2014-06-01 5:28 PM
in reply to: HonoluluAngel

User image

Originally posted by HonoluluAngel I got my first DNF today but I did complete the entire 70.3. I just missed the cut off time by 21 minutes. I feel pretty I still got a medal and finishers shirt. The lady said I did the distance and crossed the finish line. Thoughts?

It's up to you how you want to handle the finishing gear, but I will say that fighting to make the cutoff on that course takes some major effort.  It gets exponentially harder the longer you are out there as the wind picks up later in the morning on the bike, and it gets so much hotter past noon on the run.  When I did Honu in 2013, we had a couple friends around the 7-8 hour mark and as we were waiting for them, I just couldn't believe how anyone could still be out there in that heat.  There is no shade...no where to hide (well...we were hiding under a tree...but the run course doesn't go under any trees).  I give you a lot of credit for sticking it out and making it to the finish line.

2014-06-01 11:51 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Veteran
Honolulu
Thanks Jason. I know I will get heat from people who are on the 'tshirt etiquette board' but if the race people handed it out to me after I crossed the finish line and tell me I did the course, I construe it as permission to wear it if I want to. I could have walked off the course at any time but I didn't. I'm not in denial of my DNF ranking.
2014-06-02 6:17 AM

User image

Originally posted by HonoluluAngel Thanks Jason. I know I will get heat from people who are on the 'tshirt etiquette board' but if the race people handed it out to me after I crossed the finish line and tell me I did the course, I construe it as permission to wear it if I want to. I could have walked off the course at any time but I didn't. I'm not in denial of my DNF ranking.

You got permission to wear it the day you paid for it!  If someone has issue with you wearing it – and no doubt some will, it’s their problem, not yours.

My wife has got various tee-shirts and tops from races that I’ve done.  I hate wearing branded clothes as I feel self-conscious in them and worried that people will feel the need to tell me they’re impressed or think I’m showing off - so I often ask for ‘small’ when it’s included in the fee.  She has no problem wearing all kinds of ironman and marathon tee shirts despite not even having spectated at half of them.  Life’s too short.

2014-06-02 7:09 AM

User image

I've got one of these on my car and wear the tshirt to pretty much all events now:

2014-06-02 12:51 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Veteran
Honolulu
I expect I will peel from this painful sunburn. My lips feel like beef jerky too. They really aren't joking about Kona's heat. I thought training at noon on Oahu would help. But it's way worse on the Big Island with the lava and lack of trees. Brutal.

(IMG_20140601_101812.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20140601_101812.jpg (275KB - 6 downloads)
2014-06-02 3:12 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by RockTractor

If you finish an IM, is it OK to have this one on your car?

I want this one. where can I get it?
2014-06-02 3:14 PM

naperville, Illinois
Originally posted by HonoluluAngel

I expect I will peel from this painful sunburn. My lips feel like beef jerky too. They really aren't joking about Kona's heat. I thought training at noon on Oahu would help. But it's way worse on the Big Island with the lava and lack of trees. Brutal.

really stupid question - but do you burn in the sleeve area too, or does the ink protect?
2014-06-02 3:43 PM
in reply to: Raansnel

Veteran
Honolulu
It doesn't seem to tan or burn where I have ink. I've never bern burnt this bad before though. ..despite being born/raised in Hawaii.
You can see my pre existing farmers tan on the non inked arm. I can't tell I had one on the inked arm.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing IronMan gear when not an Ironman, yet.... Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

To Ironman or not to Ironman, that is the question

Started by menglo
Views: 1943 Posts: 18

2009-11-25 6:13 AM rc63413

To wear or not To wear (Wet Suit) PLEASE HELP

Started by ditchdoc
Views: 1281 Posts: 8

2008-10-11 4:10 AM monkeyboy64

Ironman training plan for someone not doing an ironman

Started by amyro1234
Views: 2540 Posts: 23

2008-06-06 12:53 PM David tri's

To Ironman or to not Ironman

Started by iwantotri
Views: 1953 Posts: 21

2006-10-15 11:23 PM swbkrun

To Ironman or to not Ironman

Started by iwantotri
Views: 765 Posts: 2

2006-10-13 4:55 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : November 11, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
Does compression clothing really work? Coach AJ was able to try out a line of compression wear by Skins during the 2008 Annual Hawaii Ironman Triathlon.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.