General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-30 5:43 PM

Subject: Achilles Pain
Looking for some advice or others experiences here. As with everything, I know there is no right or wrong answer. And yes, I will be seeing a Dr. ASAP regarding this.

I'm doing my first IM in September. About 1.5 weeks ago I started to have a bit of pain in lower achilles, where it meets the heal. I did one 4 mile run and had a bit of pain, not terrible pain, but just mildly annoying pain. I took a week off running, stretched, lightly foamed rolled. It seemed ok so tried a 3 miler and it is still a little painful.

My internet diagnosis says to be very careful with achilles pains. Anybody have experience with this and IM training? It doesn't seem to bother me on the bike so even if the Dr says no running for X weeks I'm hoping I could just increase the bike and swim volume.

Any stories or advice is appreciated. Any magic treatments? I've even heard acupuncture may speed healing.

2014-04-30 5:55 PM
in reply to: burhed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Achilles Pain
Originally posted by burhed

Looking for some advice or others experiences here. As with everything, I know there is no right or wrong answer. And yes, I will be seeing a Dr. ASAP regarding this.

I'm doing my first IM in September. About 1.5 weeks ago I started to have a bit of pain in lower achilles, where it meets the heal. I did one 4 mile run and had a bit of pain, not terrible pain, but just mildly annoying pain. I took a week off running, stretched, lightly foamed rolled. It seemed ok so tried a 3 miler and it is still a little painful.

My internet diagnosis says to be very careful with achilles pains. Anybody have experience with this and IM training? It doesn't seem to bother me on the bike so even if the Dr says no running for X weeks I'm hoping I could just increase the bike and swim volume.

Any stories or advice is appreciated. Any magic treatments? I've even heard acupuncture may speed healing.

I have been dealing with Achilles for the last 3 years.

First of all I think it's great you are getting medical attention. You will hopefully be able to correct the situation or limit the consequences.

First major bout, slowing down, stretching and eccentric heal drops did wonders.
Second bout, ART and accupucture helped a lot

I always continued to run, with permission from the physio.

It flairs up if I go over 45 miles per week.
2014-04-30 6:09 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Be very careful with achilles pain. It's slow to heal.

The things that have worked most for me recently were: (i) eccentric heel drop exercises (first flat on floor, then on edge of stairs), built up gradually; (ii) heel pads in my running shoes; (iii) increase mileage gradually, very cautious about run intensity; (iv) "maximalist" shoes (Hokas). Hard to know what any of those individually contributed, but I was able to go from not running to 80+ miles per week. But I have to keep paying attention to the exercises.

Good luck.
2014-04-30 8:21 PM
in reply to: colinphillips

See a qualified and experienced sports physiotherapist. one that is recommended, not just your local. Achilles have to be treated very carefully. I had a problematic calf for a while which affected my achilles. But it turned out to be tight glutes & hamstrings that were the ultimate culprit. So I would suggest this:

- rest Achilles for minimum 4 days, ice if if you have to t
- stretch 2 - 3 times a day and stretch everything, calves, glutes, hammys, quads etc
- when you do run, warm up before hand and stretch or plyometric stretching
- as Colin suggested, build up your mileage gradually
- ice after exercise if there is any slight pain and also stretch after exercise
- mix up runs with 400m running e.g 16 X 400m on the 2.20 or whatever - do it on a grass track, your Achilles will love you for it

2014-05-01 6:21 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by colinphillips

Be very careful with achilles pain. It's slow to heal.

The things that have worked most for me recently were: (i) eccentric heel drop exercises (first flat on floor, then on edge of stairs), built up gradually; (ii) heel pads in my running shoes; (iii) increase mileage gradually, very cautious about run intensity; (iv) "maximalist" shoes (Hokas). Hard to know what any of those individually contributed, but I was able to go from not running to 80+ miles per week. But I have to keep paying attention to the exercises.

Good luck.

X2 on everything above. Several other things that seemed to help was sleeping in a night splint while I still had pain and compression socks.
2014-05-01 12:30 PM

Recent switch to low drop shoes? That and too rapid increase in mileage did it for me, not for IM training, but running in general.

2014-05-01 3:23 PM
in reply to: nbndtrain

User image

Adding in a hilly trail route too abruptly can cause mine to flare up, as well as too much time in lower drop shoes. Lots of good suggestions here. I think the main point is to take care of it early on, before it turns into a chronic problem.
2014-05-01 3:36 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I went through three years of it and thought I would never be past it.  It's now been about a year and half with no issues.  What finally worked for me was reducing the intensity and duration of my runs while gradually increasing my frequency when practical.  If I did no running at all it was worse when I did start start running.  For me, I felt better to keep moving even if just very short easy runs.  I was very cautious when I ran and shortened my stride a little.  A small insert in my heel helped when I ran and I stretched it when done.

2014-05-02 8:20 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Sounds like you have gotten good advice already and you are correct in seeking medical attention as well.

Don't ignore it.  Don't fight threw the pain.  Be smart.

I ruptured my Achilles a few years ago.  Believe me, you don't want that pain.

2014-05-02 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
How high up on the Achilles ?
Above the ankle bone you are ok.
Below, you may have bigger problems.

All the advice here is sound. Go to a PT that knows about RT and Graston .
2014-05-03 8:33 AM

Thanks for the advice everybody. Just an update to hopefully help anybody else that might read this.

Turns out it is Achilles Bursitis. Apparently there is a small fluid filled sac between the upper part of the heal bone and the tendon. It can become inflamed. The Dr could tell this by the swelling in that area. He said typically the Achilles' tendon will not swell. The recomendation is to not run until it doesn't hurt in the morning right after waking up. Also some mild stretching and massage. I've been foam rolling my calves and it seems to be helping but no running yet. He did say biking would be ok so I'm just going to fill my run schedule with bike until I'm ready to run again.

2014-05-03 8:47 PM

User image

, Illinois
Did the Dr provide an estimated time frame? I'm experiencing something similar.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles Pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Achilles pain

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 1121 Posts: 12

2013-04-08 10:27 PM TriMomKS

Achilles Pain - A Dealbreaker?

Started by Baileyperschon
Views: 1224 Posts: 11

2013-02-12 8:26 PM edawno

Lower calf / Achilles pain

Started by Pector55
Views: 953 Posts: 8

2010-06-10 8:09 AM Pector55

Achilles pain from new clipless

Started by Rogillio
Views: 705 Posts: 4

2006-01-08 10:06 AM the bear

Pain in the Achilles

Started by COP2TRI
Views: 678 Posts: 3

2004-05-04 12:03 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 9, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Achilles Tendonitis is one of the most common running injuries due to overtraining. In this video, a sports medicine doctor diagnoses and provides a treatment plan.

date : February 22, 2010
comments : 0
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.
date : August 22, 2009
I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon. The tendons seem to really stiffen when sitting or sleeping. I'm not doing anything new.

date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.
date : November 4, 2007
I've been told I have laxity in my tendons which sets me up to be more prone to overuse injuries. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate my chronic achilles pain?

date : June 11, 2007
Now that I've alleviated the pain and injury, do you think it would be okay to start running on the street/sidewalk/hills again?
date : December 18, 2006
It sounds like you have insertional Achilles tendonitis. This can be created simply by continuous use and higher mileage or by a minor injury such as missing a step.

date : October 30, 2005
Been having ankle and achilles pain. Went to sports med/therapy clinic...was given stretches to help achilles and had an appointment made for getting orthotics.