General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying my first wetsuit can I get away buying one online? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-01 8:04 PM

Subject: Buying my first wetsuit can I get away buying one online?
Living in Green Bay wi and new to the area I am having a hard time finding anywhere local to try and buy a wetsuit. Any advise for buying a wetsuit? I am doing an Olympic tri in June but really like a wetsuit now to train I open water way to cold with out one

2014-05-02 9:25 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Buying my first wetsuit can I get away buying one online?
I do not have any affiliation with Xterra Wetsuits nor have I ever owned one, but they are inexperience and I have only heard great things about their customer service and refund/exchange policy. That would be really important when buying online.
2014-05-02 10:13 AM

User image

Most wetsuit companies have a good return policy allowing for you to try it out for about a month. I recently purchased a ROKA wetsuit online, albeit a little skeptical, and was very pleased with it sizing wise and performance wise.
2014-05-02 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Buying online with an adequate return policy can be a good bet. However, one caveat is that, for a first-timer, a wetsuit that actually fits properly probably isn't going to feel like it fits properly - it's going to feel too small, by a fair amount. It really helps to have someone who knows how triathlon / swimming wetsuits are supposed to fit to guide you.

Green Bay isn't exactly the middle-of-nowhere, either - even if there isn't a good tri shop in town, a short (relatively speaking) trip to Madison or Milwaukee should be able to put you in expert hands. If you ever have a reason to come down to Illinois, there's more shops than you can shake a stick at. Shop local, if you can - worst case is you find a wetsuit that fits, but is too expensive, and you've wasted an hour but at least you know how it is supposed to fit.
2014-05-02 11:23 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have purchased several wetsuits from Xterra and have had good experiences.  A suit I bought for my wife did not fit her but they were great about returning it for a different size and you can't beat the price.

2014-05-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

I bought from Xterra also. I called them up with more detailed measurements then their website lists (I think it is strictly based on height and weight) and their employee was able to guide me to the right size. Its the only wetsuit I have ever had so I can't comment on how it compares to other brands.

2014-05-02 4:28 PM
in reply to: k1200rsvt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by k1200rsvt

I bought from Xterra also. I called them up with more detailed measurements then their website lists (I think it is strictly based on height and weight) and their employee was able to guide me to the right size. Its the only wetsuit I have ever had so I can't comment on how it compares to other brands.

Same here, I am an odd fit because I have long legs and a short trunk (5' 8 3/4", 33 inch inseam). I was going to buy a medium and the Xterra inside sales person told me to get a medium-short, the suit fits perfect.
2014-05-02 4:44 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Buying online with an adequate return policy can be a good bet. However, one caveat is that, for a first-timer, a wetsuit that actually fits properly probably isn't going to feel like it fits properly - it's going to feel too small, by a fair amount. It really helps to have someone who knows how triathlon / swimming wetsuits are supposed to fit to guide you. ...

^^^

differences between wetsuits are probably not as great as the companies would like you to believe.  Find one on sale. Use the size guide recommended by the manufacturer and find one that you're generally in the middle of the range.  Wet suits are remarkably stretchy.

if it feels like it fits when you first put it on... it's probably too big.  They need to fit like a second skin.  Watch the youtube videos on how you properly install a wetsuit on your body.

Full sleeved wetsuits are faster than sleeveless.  Get a full sleeved one.

And- the speed difference between suits is less than the speed difference between how well you've installed it on your body.  A suit that doesn't fit optimally, but was installed properly, will be faster than a perfectly fitting suit- that you don't have on well.

While this may not be true in all cases, the more expensive suits aren't really faster than the cheaper ones- but instead, designed with better swimmers in mind.  I could be wrong here, but the lower end suits tend to be designed to float you more, especially the legs, and will give a bigger benefit to the swimmer with poorer form.  The more you go up the line, the prices increase dramatically.  The more expensive suits tend to be more flexible and comfortable for the more advanced swimmer, and will be less helpful to the poor swimmer.

2014-05-03 7:51 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
This is one of the reasons why I would recommend Xterra. Great return policy. They WANT you to swim in the wet suit a couple of times before deciding if it's for you or not. And they're swapping sizes without any hassle at all.

Plus, they make some very nice wetsuits that are reasonably priced.
2014-05-03 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4990444

Thank you everyone! It looks like xterra is well recommended here. After I posted this I found a local shop that will have wetsuites in stock at the end of the month. I might go and see what size I am and then compare their prices with xterra
2014-05-08 8:18 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Originally posted by [email protected]

Living in Green Bay wi and new to the area I am having a hard time finding anywhere local to try and buy a wetsuit. Any advise for buying a wetsuit? I am doing an Olympic tri in June but really like a wetsuit now to train I open water way to cold with out one

That's too funny. I too live in Green Bay and yesterday ordered my first wetsuit online. I ended up getting a Synergy Endorfin from the site below. For $179
http://www.wetsuitoutlet.com/synergy-mens-endorphin-full-sleeve/

It shipped out the same day and should be here Tuesday.

I researched a lot and this one had great reviews and a great return policy. I looked at Xterra wetsuits too as they sponsor the site but was between sizes and they have some sizes on back order so didn't want get stuck with my first race of the year the first week of June with out one or in the wrong size.

Locally In Competition said they should be getting some in as well but I didn't want to wait.

Good luck with the decision.

2014-05-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Maricopa, Arizona
As someone who is researching buying their first wetsuit as well, what is the difference between sleeveless and short sleeved or full sleeve? I'm a bit on the heavier side so it seems that going with full sleeves will be more of a hassle to put on especially if it's supposed to fit like second skin.

Not only that, but I'm not a -fantastic- swimmer, just an adequate one. So I'm not going for competition speed here, just trying to not freeze when I do my sprint in Lake Havasu in March.
2014-05-12 6:40 PM
in reply to: KittenJ

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KittenJ As someone who is researching buying their first wetsuit as well, what is the difference between sleeveless and short sleeved or full sleeve? I'm a bit on the heavier side so it seems that going with full sleeves will be more of a hassle to put on especially if it's supposed to fit like second skin. Not only that, but I'm not a -fantastic- swimmer, just an adequate one. So I'm not going for competition speed here, just trying to not freeze when I do my sprint in Lake Havasu in March.

They're all difficult to 'put on'.  But that part doesn't matter.  You've got plenty of time to get them on.  When you take your arms out of the sleeves- you just pull your arms out and the suit turns inside out.  Usually not an issue.

there is minimal benefit to a sleeveless.  they're marginally slower, and not as warm.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying my first wetsuit can I get away buying one online? Rss Feed