General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to San Antonio Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-06 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Moving to San Antonio
I will be moving to San Antonio in June. Does anyone know of tri clubs, bike clubs, or running clubs in SA? Any suggestions will be helpful.

2014-05-06 3:16 PM
in reply to: hippotude

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Moving to San Antonio
Unfortunatley, the only dedicated Tri shop closed a while back. Your best bet is to visit a local bike/run store and inquire about the specific area you move to. This is a great place to live for all things multi-sport. Tons to do, every weekend. If you identify the geographical location you are moving to in SA, I can point you to a few good bike shops. Almost all of them cater to triathletes, to some degree.

Good luck!

Randy
2014-05-06 7:16 PM
in reply to: randym95

User image

Veteran
Randy -

Thanks for the information. I am moving to the NE side off of 1604 and 35. Any information will be helpful.

Nikki
2014-05-06 11:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Perfect. You are right in the middle of a lot choices.

1604/Redland (very very close to you)- Rideaway Bicycles - I've purchased two bikes from them in the past and had great luck with them. It's been a while since I've been in there so I don't know if anything has changed in the past few years. I do know that they used to be a huge Specialized shop but I don't think they carry this brand anymore. I THINK they are primarily a Giant shop now.

281/Thousand Oaks (15 minutes away) - Performance Bike Shop - Probably don't need much explanation for them. Robert is the manager and an extremely nice guy. Just bought a new bike from them (Fuji Roubaix). Nice size shop with a good selection across the board.

1604/Blanco Rd (15-20 minutes away) - Bike World - big Trek dealer. I haven't done much business with them so I can't really speak to their customer service. But, they have 3 different locations around SA and are probably the most known shop. As far as bike events, this might be your best bet for information.

Also 1604/Blanco Rd - Britton's Bike Shop - Very nice shop that has a strong emphasis on multi-sport. I haven't been to this location (new), but I hear it's nice. Definitely worth a trip.

That's just four to get you started - all are relatively close to you. You could easily see all of these in just a couple of hours. I would start with Brittons and/or Bike World and then work your way back.

Oh and if you ride a mountain bike too, check out McAllister Park. 15 minutes away and has some of the fastest trails in SA. The only downside is that it is heavily used by hikers, trail runners, and walkers. You have to have your head on a swivel while riding out here.

I hope that helps.

Randy
2014-05-14 2:14 PM

San Antonio, Texas
There are a few more options available for you in San Antonio.

Soler's Sports is a running/tri shop. They have three locations and two of them are pretty good tri-related shops. The one at 1604/Stone Oak area is a good tri shop and so is the Helotes location which is located off of Bandera Road outside of 1604.

As for Tri clubs there are a couple in town. Alamo180 and Tri Amigos are the main ones that I know of, but I have never personally been to either or know much about their workouts. Alamo180 recently opened a new workout center and while I've never personally been I have heard from others that it is pretty nice. They do have a website that you may want to check out for more info. I don't know much about Tri Amigos but their athletes are often at the local tri's.

A few of the run shops in town usually have social runs a couple of days a week. The main running stores I go to are Solers, Irun and We Run San Antonio. We Run has a nice running club and have a few different types of workouts throughout the week and then do longer runs on the weekends. Soler's also does a group ride on the weekends from their Stone Oak and Helotes locations, I believe.

For your open-water swimming there's not a lot that I am aware of in the area where you will be. There's Boerne Lake that many people use at it is located in the town of Boerne which is just off of I-10 outside of 1604 on the west side of town.

I hope this helps you out a little bit. Like the other poster said, most of the bike shops do some tri stuff, but not much. If you want good tri service from a bike shop I would suggest going up to Austin. Not that far away, especially from where you will be, and they have more tri-specific shops.
2014-05-19 1:20 PM
in reply to: russaggie

User image

Veteran
Thanks for all of the help. This information will get me started and I can go from there.

2014-05-21 12:06 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Some good info has been posted here already, so I won't go over it and just add my two cents. First of all, welcome to SA! You'll be moving pretty close to where I live. Not a bad area, easy to get on the roads going into the country pretty fast and you'll find some good routes to ride.

As for shops, I don't go to many around SA but I like Solers and Bicycle Heaven. I've had good experiences at Ride Away Bikes too, but that was more for my kids bike than my own.

My personal favorite shop is up the road about 60 min -- Austin Tri Cyclist. If you want to go to a real Tri shop, that's the place to go. Unfortunately as someone already mentioned, we lost out own Tri specific shop last year. But Soler's caters very much to triathletes as well.

There are good group rides during the week and on the weekend. Check out Chain Reaction San Antonio's Facebook page. They put their rides up there.

For running, I don't run with any groups but there is a really cool trail running series called Tejas Trails. Great races all year round, about one a month. These are hands down the most fun races you'll ever do. Check them out.

Good luck, and again Welcome!
2014-06-01 1:16 PM

User image

New user

I love swimming at Boerne Lake. Also, depending on what kind of time you have, for pool swimming I love UTSA. It is only $20 a month and 24/7. You get a card key and it is indoor pool with showers and lockers. Nothing fancy but not bad at all. Also, check out meetup.com. There are tri groups as well as just about anything else you can think of. Usually can find one close to you. Great to meet for runs, rides or swims with people of all levels and interests. And love Ride Away Bikes....ask for Jon at Alamo Ranch or Jason at Stone Oak...

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need additional info. I live by Sea World close to 1604 and Potranco.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to San Antonio Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Antonio, Anyone?

Started by CajunN8
Views: 725 Posts: 4

2007-04-22 11:25 AM tri-chic

Swimming coach in or near San Antonio

Started by FentressJET
Views: 720 Posts: 1

2006-09-10 4:33 PM FentressJET

Anyone Done the San Antonio Half Mary?

Started by OldAg92
Views: 978 Posts: 6

2006-08-30 3:02 PM charlesC

SeaWorld Splash Triathlon - San Antonio

Started by bfraley
Views: 1230 Posts: 4

2005-09-05 1:14 PM dboyle

San Antonio

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 858 Posts: 12

2008-04-12 11:01 PM TriKyle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.
date : September 3, 2004
Sao Paulo triathletes last Thursday could not have asked for better guidance in balancing their rigorous training and work schedules.