General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about altering my training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-07 10:28 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: Question about altering my training plan
Ok, so I am doing my first HIM in September. I found a 16 week training plan listed below that I really like but I was thinking about changing one thing. This is a 3 x each discipline a week program. I am thinking about changing one of the swim days for a bike day. I am not a (fast) swimmer and I don't suspect I will get much faster in the next 4 months and right now I am completely comfortable and confident going into this swim. Most of my workouts are in the 1800 to 2000 yard range and will increase more in the next 4 months. I really think I would be better of switching a swim day for a run day for 2 reasons. I think I can gain more time on the bike than the swim and I also want to be strong for the run coming off the bike. I think adding an extra bike day would help accomplish both of these things.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironm...

==============================================
Monday: Rest.
Tuesday: Bike - short ride with interval work
Wednesday: Swim | Run - both short with interval work
Thursday: Bike - short with interval work
Friday: Swim | Run - both short with interval work
Saturday: Bike - long moderate ride
Sunday: Run | Swim - both long and moderate
==============================================

If possible I would still like to keep the rest day on Monday. But if I was going to replace one of the swim's for a bike, where would be the best place to do that? I am assuming that Sunday is not a good option, so it seems like either Wednesday or or Friday would be the choices. Also, If i cut back to 2 swims per week, should I do one interval work day and one moderate day, or should I just double up on the interval stuff?

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to cover as much stuff as I can to have you guys help me make a decision. Thanks in advance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about altering my training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training plan question..

Started by waskelton
Views: 1116 Posts: 10

2005-02-24 11:23 AM AdventureBear

Training Plan Question

Started by atree
Views: 920 Posts: 4

2005-01-24 1:03 PM atree

Training plan question

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 1238 Posts: 8

2005-01-10 10:29 AM JohnnyKay

1/2 Ironman training plan question

Started by dgunthert
Views: 1055 Posts: 4

2005-01-01 11:01 PM Ron

Beginner question about the training plans

Started by rost
Views: 724 Posts: 2

2004-06-20 12:32 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 21, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How to tweak your training plan to account for frequent races

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.

date : February 12, 2008
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.

date : January 9, 2008
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : June 4, 2006
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.