General Discussion Triathlon Talk » insertional achilles tendinitis- ciprofloxacin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-09 4:13 PM

Subject: insertional achilles tendinitis- ciprofloxacin
Hi all
Has anyone had experience of taking an antibiotic called ciprofloxacin?

Following 5 tablets I'm left with what I can only describe as insertional achilles tendinitis.

I've had an mri done and the tendon/heel look conpletely normal.

Its been 6 months now of no running and I tried to run just a mile and a half a couple of nights ago and its left me again in quite a bit of pain. Just can't stand up on my heela for long.

Still riding my bike and swimming but I'm desperately missing running.

Has anyone else had a similiar experience? I'm only 31 years old and dread to think that my involvement in triathlon must come to an end especially as I was four months into training for uk iron man when all this happened!

I've tried many things up to now, kinseo tape, accupunture, reflexology, heel raises, cross friction massage, ice massages etc nothing seems to help.

Any further help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

2014-05-09 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4994215

Subject: RE: insertional achilles tendinitis- ciprofloxacin
It is affecting both heela in the same place.

I'm aware of the potential side effects of rupture which is why I insisted on ann mri.

My trianing has took a significant reduction over the last 6 months and I'm trying to build up again without pushing too hard as it seems tendons can be weakend for up to twelve months after.

My diet has been clean, hardly any alcohol if just a few glasses over the last 6 months, only just started drinking a coffee now and again and exercise has been fairly light. I do have a habit of getting carries away on the bike but I've juat limited myself to commuting for now. 15 miles a day...

Rheumatologist isn't concerned as all tests have come back normal but has now referred me to a physiotherapist to check over me..

I'd just love to know how I cure this annoying and painful niggle I have..? Only get a lot of pain when I'm on my feet all day

2014-05-12 11:08 AM
in reply to: specialized5115

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: insertional achilles tendinitis- ciprofloxacin

My urologist tried to prescribe cipro for me for me last year and I refused to take it after reading the black box warning info.

I'm in the target hairs of the warnings: I'm 60 years old and have degenerative Achilles tendinosis in both legs.  I've had partial tears in my left Achilles in the past and didn't want to risk the cipro for what my doctor said was a "suspected" infection. 

My doctor and his head nurse got pissy with me when I raised my concerns, so I won't be seeing them in the future.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » insertional achilles tendinitis- ciprofloxacin Rss Feed