Jay Benson Triathlon
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 37s
Overall Rank = 86/199
Age Group = f45-4
Age Group Rank = 17/29
Pre-race routine:

I expected to train through this race but my training Friday was brutal so I decided to take a rest day Saturday.
Sunday morning I woke at about 5:10 and got dressed. I made some toast, filled my water bottles and loaded up the car. En route to the race I stopped at Sbux for a dirty chai.
When I pulled in to the lot at the race I was parked close to Mandi from Running for Brews so I waited an chatted with her as we walked to transition.
Once in transition I looked for my spot (I love assigned spots) and got it all set up. This is a reverse tri so I was wearing my running gear and had my bike gear and swim goggles set up.
Once set up I looked for Coach Andie and chatted with her a bit then scoped out all the ins n outs of transition. I also walked over to the pool to check out that set up and hit the restroom while I was in the building.
When they announced transition was closing I peeled of my sleeves and left them with my bike and headed over to watch the first waves start.
Just before the first wave headed out I saw DH and DS2 walking toward me. So nice to see them before the start!
We watched the first few waves take off and cheered for the people we knew then when they called the wave before mine I headed over to do some warmup.
Event warmup:

Did some light jogging and strides, then did a little bit of static stretching because my calves felt a little tight. This is a reverse tri so the run is first.
As my wave (W40-49) moved to the start the announcer made some great comments about Mothers Day and how Mom's being healthy encourages the younger women to do so. She also told us to calm the butterflies and that we were ready (I sure had butterflies, I hadn't done a tri since... August?)
Then the countdown started and we were headed out.
Swim
  • 10m 43s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think this is the first tri I didn't lose places on the swim!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I jumped in and started swimming. I got in a groove pretty quickly, then my goggles filled up. I pulled to the side and quick let the water out and started again. I was actually gaining on people! I'm going to have to calculate my overall for the swim and bike to see how many I actually passed.

DS2 said later he thought I'd go crazy at all the slow people and congestion and people doing "weird" strokes. I'm kinda used to it in pool swims so I just tried to get around the mobs and do my thing.

During my 4th leg of the pool I was able to grab on to a pair of feet and draft for the whole 50. Man could I feel a difference! Unfortunately my goggles filled up again (maybe because of the turbulence) and she got away as I emtied.

The last couple times I was at the far end of the pool DS2 was kneeling down yelling encouragement at me. That really motivated me to finish strong. And I kept pulling hard throught that last 50. I'm pretty happy with this swim!
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on that swim fitness
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

This is a reverse tri so T1 was out of run shoes and in to bike shoes/helmet. Went smoothly and I ran to my bike and with my bike to the mount line. Taking of from the mount line was smooth as well.

pretty happy with this
Bike
  • 53m 27s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 14.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good running with the new cleats and getting clipped in on the bike. The first mile or so was on empty streets in a warehouse district so it was a nice start to get rolling. Before too long we turned on to a major street where the right lane was closed for us. As I turned on to this first major street (Unser) I saw at least one car ignore the police officer's direction to stop. I was able to make my turn without any issue and headed on down the road. I passed several people and chuckled as I thought of the opening scene of Captain America where he repeatedly says "on your left".

I knew the turn on to Central (another busy street, also with a lane blocked) and the start of the climb was coming. APD was in full force on these busy streets and did an awesome job of controlling traffic. I made sure to thank each of them, especially since they've been under a lot of heat lately from the public.

Anyway, Central proceeded to climb, and climb, and climb, up hill, in to the wind. I kept passing people and tried to encourage each as I did so. I also tried to follow correct passing rules which was tough when I was doing 6mph!!!
Once I FINALLY crested the hill there was a right turn and a short out and back before I got to come back and FLY down that same %^&* hill. The fastest I saw on my bike computer was 40mph but according to Strava that I made it to 44.1! When I ran out of gears I just tucked in as low as I could get. Once I could pedal again I tried to continue to use the hill and tailwind to my advantage and continue the higher speed. This worked great and I was still passing people... until I had to come to a complete stop at Central and Unser until the officers got traffic stopped again. There was one girl already there and two or three people caught up while I waited. ARGH!

Once we took off from the light I left them behind again and was happy to be back on the industrial streets again, even for a short while. As I turned back in to the parking lot toward transition (really long parking lot) I heard an encouraging yell from DH. Such motivation.

Unfortunately I did hear later that a lady from one of the local tri clubs did have an accident with a car during the race. Fortunately she had no head injuries and "only" a separated shoulder.

I think I gave it everything I had. No doubt my bike fitness is down as I've had trouble getting all of my training in lately but that hill, with the addition of the wind, was brutal!
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Again, reverse tri so this was bike stuff off, goggles on. Went smoothly but was a bit of a run to the pool which accounts for a lot of the time, I think. Also, as I was leaving the transition gate I got held up a bit by the volunteer checking the bike of someone who was leaving. I'm sure it only cost me a few seconds but that frustrates me. I know you're a fastie so you're all done but GET OUT THE WAY OF PEOPLE STILL RACING!

nothing
Run
  • 30m 46s
  • 3.28 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

The whole group started off at a decent pace. I was comfortable with it and thought some of them might drop back after a while (which they did). I kept Coach Andie in sight and gained on her a bit as we "climbed" up to the pedestrian bridge. It was a nice course but mile markers would have been nice. As we went back over the pedestrian bridge I caught up to Coach Andie and asked her about the distance because I knew she'd be wearing her GPS. The RD had mentioned before the start that the run was long but hadn't said how long. (My distance calculation above is based on the total run time and average/mile that they posted as my results).
I ran in just behind Andie and heard DH and DS2 yelling for me.
Good run. Maybe I could have pushed it more but I knew I had quite a climb ahead of me on the bike.

Maybe push a bit more to test my running fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

As I came out of the water I got a high five from Coach Andie and smiles from DS2 and DH. DH also had a cooler with a couple bottles of chocolate milk. Love that man. We watched the swimmers and talked about my race. We talked with Coach Andie a bit about Santa Rosa (my next tri) as she is the RD. She commented about wishing her family were there and wishing she had a chocolate milk. Lo and behold DH pulled another chocolate milk out of the cooler for Coach Andie. What a guy!

After a while we headed outside and while I packed up my gear DH got me a dirty chai from my fave food truck which happened to be at the race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, gravity, genetics ;)

Event comments:

I'm going with average on this one for a couple reasons... this race used to be held on base but after Boston it was cancelled last year and had to move this year. So they had to find a new location, I get that. They did a nice job of having a police presence and closing a lane. But stupid Albuquerque drivers make being on busy streets like this unsafe. And having essentially half the bike course be one big hill, not really digging that either. I appreciate their attempt to relocate this race but I'm not sure I'd do this one again with this same course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:43 | 400 meters | 02m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/29
Overall: 0/199
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 50 meter pool swim, up one lane, back the next, 4 times
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:27 | 12.5 miles | 14.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/29
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Busy streets, out and back up a large hill then back down
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:46 | 03.28 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/29
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat lollipop type course. The only hills were getting up to the pedestrian bridge over the highway
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-05-12 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Jay Benson Triathlon

2014-05-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4995143

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Jay Benson Triathlon

Nice race!  What a way to kick off the tri season. 

I'm glad that the new shoes/pedals worked out for you :-)

2014-05-12 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Nice job - it sounds like you executed well!

Originally posted by rrrunner
The RD had mentioned before the start that the run was long but hadn't said how long. (My distance calculation above is based on the total run time and average/mile that they posted as my results).

My Garmin had the run distance at 3.27 mles - so, your calcs seem in line with reality.

until I had to come to a complete stop at Central and Unser until the officers got traffic stopped again. There was one girl already there and two or three people caught up while I waited. ARGH!

How frustrating. I was lucky and made all the gaps in traffic - whew!

Also, way to keep your eyes peeled for traffic - there were several opportunities for vehicle encounters... along Central especially.

Good luck in Santa Rosa!
2014-05-12 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job TJ! Really cool to see the bike piece went as it did, with your speed being pretty hot on the way back and you being as encouraging to others on the way out.  Nice run and swim as well, it looks like a great start to the season for you.

2014-05-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Master

Way to conquer that "hill".  44 down? That's waaaay -> 

So glad you got a good start to the season!

2014-05-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Jay, I guess I'll have to grow in to being one of the fasties if I want to avoid traffic on the bike (and swim). It was fun watching you guys take off on the run! And that Alex kid is going to be one to watch! I'm looking forward to Santa Rosa, Andie said it has "rolling" hills. I guess we'll see.

Janyne, I was a bit nervous about the new pedals but I think they're great! My toes were numb running in T2 so I may need to adjust them a bit.

Chris, I'm pretty happy with the bike considering the lack of bike focus I've had this winter. Need to get back at working those hills!

Erin, I still think I'll start next season with you in Phoenix!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-05-12 3:13 PM

2014-05-12 4:58 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Great job on your race, TJ!  Bet that downhill was a blast!!  Too bad the traffic control got in the way of your speediness, both there and in your transition.  I can see why you'd think twice about doing it again; the traffic sounds pretty scary.

2014-05-13 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
And that Alex kid is going to be one to watch!

No doubt! Holy cow is he fast...!
2014-05-13 12:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

That DH, he's a keeper!  Cold choco milk for you AND your coach at the finish, dirty chais and a great supporter throughout the race, awesome!  Nice race, glad you didn't have any issues with your new cleats/pedals.  Sounds like the beginning of a good tri season!

Edited by melbo55 2014-05-13 12:09 PM
2014-05-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Heh heh heh, "Training, gravity, genetics." 

Great job! I am very happy to see your warm-up, too!

2014-05-14 10:25 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Heh heh heh, "Training, gravity, genetics." 

Great job! I am very happy to see your warm-up, too!

Funny you should say that. I thought of you that morning knowing that with a run start I'd have some "splainin' to do" if I didn't warm up. Plus, if there's one thing the JD plan has taught me it's that my legs don't feel like doing "speed" unless I let them warm up for a few minutes.

2014-05-14 10:26 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

That DH, he's a keeper!  Cold choco milk for you AND your coach at the finish, dirty chais and a great supporter throughout the race, awesome!  Nice race, glad you didn't have any issues with your new cleats/pedals.  Sounds like the beginning of a good tri season!

Welllll, she's technically not my coach (I don't pay her) but I swam with her Masters group for a while and join her bike rides occasionally. But it never hurts to suck up to the RD of one's next race

2014-05-16 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

These reverse tris are interesting and a bit scary to me!  Swimming when I'm cooked from the run and bike seems like a recipe for disaster (for me), but you rocked it.  What a great start to the season!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jay Benson Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jay Benson Triathlon

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 1625 Posts: 3

2006-05-16 8:12 PM lobo

Jay Benson Triathlon

Started by ABQkid
Views: 2466 Posts: 6

2006-05-16 7:38 PM lobo

Jay Benson Triathlon

Started by desertsix
Views: 1556 Posts: 1

2006-05-14 10:22 PM desertsix

Jay Benson Triathlon

Started by desertsix
Views: 828 Posts: 2

2005-05-17 1:01 AM crazylegs

Jay Benson Triathlon

Started by desertsix
Views: 1002 Posts: 4

2004-05-17 1:15 PM dhlundblad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2010
author : PatriciaDawn
comments : 3
I decided that completing a triathlon would be the perfect celebration of reaching my goal and losing 83% of my excess body weight by dropping 230 pounds.