BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-07-03 11:13 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open)
I finished the Challenge AC full Aqua/Bike Sunday and it went pretty well. Having completed 2/3 of an IM gives me a lot of confidence going into IMMT. A few things I took away from the race this weekend:

1.) Things happen beyond your control and you just have to deal with it the best way possible: Water temp was 80 so non wetsuit. Probably one of the strongest currents I have ever swam in. I was shooting for a 1:35 swim and went 1:55. Everyone I spoke to was 15-20min slower on average. One guy swam 1:20 at his last IM and went over 2hrs at this race! They actually extended the swim cutoff due to the current. Additionally, there were so many turns, people were cutting the course because it was so technical. Did not make for an easy day. I was upset when I got out of the water but I felt decent and just said to myself "Get over it, its a long day"

2.) Biking was better then I thought- I probably started out too strong but averaged 19mph for the first 45miles. Once we got into the Hammonton loop area, the road surface quality drastically changed and so did my times. I was much slower on the crappy roads then the smooth ones. I never knew that road quality played so much into speed.

3.) Headwinds are demoralizing- After hitting mile 80, I was on pace to go way sub 7 with my bike split which for me, was more then I could have imagined. Unfortunately, those last 32 miles were straight into a 20mph headwind for the whole 32 miles!! It was demoralizing and frustrating to be struggling to go 11mph. Also, I felt like the headwind took a lot out of me. I am sure that going too fast earlier in the course played into my speed dropping too but it just plain sucked!

4.) Nutrition- I found that I cannot stomach my Infinit as much as I thought. I made (2) 2hr bottles for each loop and only could stomach 1 bottle each loop. I did find that I like solids more and could feel the pick me up they gave me. I have a 100 miler next month and I plan on carrying 2 water bottles at all times and 1 bottle of a less concentrated Infinit mix while eating more solids.

5.) Tired but not done- When I finished the bike I was tired but after changing and sitting down for a minute, I felt good about running 26.2. With my finishing time at this race, I would have had 7.5hrs to finish the marathon so I know that I would be able to do that.

6.) Drink more- I was dehydrated, plain and simple.

7.) I need salt tabs- I craved salt all day, had salt crusted on my skin when I was done and when I ate food afterwards, the roof of my mouth burned.

Overall, it was a good day and I learned a lot, could have been better, but that's the way it goes.

2014-07-03 11:19 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

I finished the Challenge AC full Aqua/Bike Sunday and it went pretty well. Having completed 2/3 of an IM gives me a lot of confidence going into IMMT. A few things I took away from the race this weekend:

1.) Things happen beyond your control and you just have to deal with it the best way possible: Water temp was 80 so non wetsuit. Probably one of the strongest currents I have ever swam in. I was shooting for a 1:35 swim and went 1:55. Everyone I spoke to was 15-20min slower on average. One guy swam 1:20 at his last IM and went over 2hrs at this race! They actually extended the swim cutoff due to the current. Additionally, there were so many turns, people were cutting the course because it was so technical. Did not make for an easy day. I was upset when I got out of the water but I felt decent and just said to myself "Get over it, its a long day"

2.) Biking was better then I thought- I probably started out too strong but averaged 19mph for the first 45miles. Once we got into the Hammonton loop area, the road surface quality drastically changed and so did my times. I was much slower on the crappy roads then the smooth ones. I never knew that road quality played so much into speed.

3.) Headwinds are demoralizing- After hitting mile 80, I was on pace to go way sub 7 with my bike split which for me, was more then I could have imagined. Unfortunately, those last 32 miles were straight into a 20mph headwind for the whole 32 miles!! It was demoralizing and frustrating to be struggling to go 11mph. Also, I felt like the headwind took a lot out of me. I am sure that going too fast earlier in the course played into my speed dropping too but it just plain sucked!

4.) Nutrition- I found that I cannot stomach my Infinit as much as I thought. I made (2) 2hr bottles for each loop and only could stomach 1 bottle each loop. I did find that I like solids more and could feel the pick me up they gave me. I have a 100 miler next month and I plan on carrying 2 water bottles at all times and 1 bottle of a less concentrated Infinit mix while eating more solids.

5.) Tired but not done- When I finished the bike I was tired but after changing and sitting down for a minute, I felt good about running 26.2. With my finishing time at this race, I would have had 7.5hrs to finish the marathon so I know that I would be able to do that.

6.) Drink more- I was dehydrated, plain and simple.

7.) I need salt tabs- I craved salt all day, had salt crusted on my skin when I was done and when I ate food afterwards, the roof of my mouth burned.

Overall, it was a good day and I learned a lot, could have been better, but that's the way it goes.

Sounds you learned a lot on the course and were able to overcome plenty of obsticles

And yes...headwinds are COMPLETELY demoralizing. I bike 50 this weekend, with the first 25 dead into a 25-30 mph breeze....the return trip home was fun though I try to get out in some of the nastier conditions to get mentally tough, but to also learn what I need to do/not do if those situations come up during a race

Good luck at IMMT!!
2014-07-03 4:11 PM

User image

Did a nice LSD run this morning, almost 9 miles, 1:20. Felt really good. Missed my bike session yesterday so going to have to make it up on Sat. Have a 5K race tomorrow in Huntington Beach with the family. It's a flat course, so I will be shooting for a PR...see if I can crack 20 min. It's a stretch, but might as well give it a shot.

Have a great 4th everyone and be safe.
2014-07-05 4:58 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
did a local 5k yesterday as the first part of the reverse tri workout that was on my training plan for that day and set a new pr by 2 minutes! 20:16! followed it up with a 75 min bike with a big climb and a 30 min swim. why aren't all weekends 3 days?
2014-07-06 4:21 PM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

New user
Paso Robles, CA
I was sure I posted this already, but it didn't show up, so here it is again... NAME: Cindy

STORY: I’m a 38 year old stay at home mom. I have two girls ages 4 & 6. We just recently moved to a new area, so we've been busy getting settled in and organized. My workouts had to take the backburner for a little while, but now I'm back into things full swing! Strangely enough I started my athletic career at 30. A friend of mine and I decided it would be fun to do a triathlon even though I had no background in any of the sports! I ended up completing a couple sprints sucessfully and I caught the tri bug! My husband also got into things after seeing me do it. I then took a break while pregnant with my first daughter. After she was born I was anxious to get back into things. Over the next few years I ended up doing Wildflower Olympic several times, a half marathon as well as a few other races and my only half ironman to date. I then took another break and had my second daughter. This time when I started getting into things again I started having problems with shin splints. I was able to do a couple Olympics again, but was plagued with shin splints throughout. Since we moved last November I started running again and although it took awhile I thought I was doing really well so I signed up for a half marathon and a half ironman. Then in April the shin splints came back! I ended up completing the half marathon in the beginning of June by running with several walk breaks. Dissapointing, but I was happy to at least finish! So, now I'm faced with the 70.3 in October and I'm not sure I'll be ready! I've been working at finding swim groups, bike groups etc. Any advice, motivation, etc. would be extremely appreciated! Look forward to chatting with everyone!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm doing ok on the bike (which has always been my strong point) I just need to keep upping my mileage. I just got back into swimming, and I'm pretty slow right now but I feel confident that I'll be ok with the time I have left to train, I think finding a group to swim with will be helpful. My running is currently going well (I've been working with a run coach) but I'm always worried about shin splints coming back. I think I have things figured out, I've been a major heel striker and I'm trying to change my form.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: So far I've only done a half marathon
2014 RACES: Ironman 70.3 Nevada Silverman October 4th!!
2014-07-07 3:50 PM
in reply to: R-Star

User image

Originally posted by R-Star

THIS YEAR'S RACES: So far I've only done a half marathon
2014 RACES: Ironman 70.3 Nevada Silverman October 4th!!

Cindy, there are a few of us doing the Silverman so as we get closer we can share some info. Good luck in your training.

2014-07-07 4:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

Did a nice LSD run this morning, almost 9 miles, 1:20. Felt really good. Missed my bike session yesterday so going to have to make it up on Sat. Have a 5K race tomorrow in Huntington Beach with the family. It's a flat course, so I will be shooting for a PR...see if I can crack 20 min. It's a stretch, but might as well give it a shot.

Have a great 4th everyone and be safe.

Had a good weekend of training and did manage a PR in my 5k, 20:18. My Garmin measured the course long so I thought I was on pace to break 20:00. Oh well. At least I am getting faster. A couple years ago I would have been trilled to break 24:00.

More importantly, on a sad note this weekend there were 2 incidents in local beaches. One has been posted all over the news and is on another thread, the shark attack in MB, my town, where I do OWS and my kids do Guard training. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

The other is even more tragic...A long time Newport Beach Life Guard died trying to save someone yesterday.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-newport-beach-lifeguard...

Obviously, the beaches were very crowded the entire weekend so they were out there making a ton of saves. The surf was definitely up and this goes to show that even the best swimmers can get in trouble. So everyone please be safe out there and say a prayer for his family and friends.
2014-07-07 4:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Originally posted by cjhild

Race report is up if you'd like to take a look.

Great race. I guess you have to now set a new PR goal...<2hr?

Thanks Steve, it was a good day. Two hours...no way!
2014-07-07 5:03 PM
in reply to: rramirez1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by rramirez1

Name- Justin Hilderbrand

Story- I’m 38 years old and live/train in the Southern California desert.

where in southern cali? im in san diego

Palm Springs and Yucca Valley, it's hot out here now. On Strava is your location listed as Chula Vista?
2014-07-07 5:09 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

I finished the Challenge AC full Aqua/Bike Sunday

Congrats! That is great preparation for your upcoming full Ironman. It sounds like you came away with some very useful information.
2014-07-07 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Had a good weekend of training and did manage a PR in my 5k, 20:18.

That's epic dude, good job.

2014-07-07 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by hotalinge

did a local 5k yesterday as the first part of the reverse tri workout that was on my training plan for that day and set a new pr by 2 minutes! 20:16!

You must have beaten Steve at the line, lol! Good work.
2014-07-10 8:12 PM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Greenville, South Carolina

Originally posted by hotalinge

did a local 5k yesterday as the first part of the reverse tri workout that was on my training plan for that day and set a new pr by 2 minutes! 20:16!

You must have beaten Steve at the line, lol! Good work.

hahaha, sounds like it!
2014-07-11 3:17 PM

User image

Anyone racing this weekend?? I plan on taking it relatively easy. Have a 2+ ride schedule tomorrow and 1 hour run on Sunday. Will try to squeeze in an OWS if I can.

I wanted to just brag about my biking a little and figured this was a good place to do it. Did a 15 mile TT this morning to evaluate bike fitness. Last one was before the summer. I knocked 3 min off my time. Avg speed went from 20.5 up to 22.6. Most of it is fitness but some of it is better aero position, since the tri bike is <6 months old. Definitely making improvements. This gives me hope to break 2:45 on the bike for my July HIM.
2014-07-11 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Anyone racing this weekend?? I plan on taking it relatively easy. Have a 2+ ride schedule tomorrow and 1 hour run on Sunday. Will try to squeeze in an OWS if I can.

I wanted to just brag about my biking a little and figured this was a good place to do it. Did a 15 mile TT this morning to evaluate bike fitness. Last one was before the summer. I knocked 3 min off my time. Avg speed went from 20.5 up to 22.6. Most of it is fitness but some of it is better aero position, since the tri bike is <6 months old. Definitely making improvements. This gives me hope to break 2:45 on the bike for my July HIM.

No racing for me...last weekend taper before Nationals next Saturday. For a moment, I thought it would be fun to do a course preview ride of a hilly HIM on Sat morning, then remembered that I am still in taper mode....

I feel like a horse that wants to run, but is being held back by the starting gate...

Nice work on the Avg Speed, that is a great improvement
2014-07-12 6:01 AM
in reply to: benihana

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Sounds like everyone has been busy!  I've been out of internet touch on a stay-cation in the form of some local horse camping and other mini-trips close to home.  36 days until IM MT.   Heading out for a 110 mile ride and a 40 min brick run today.  Have a great weekend everyone

2014-07-13 11:02 PM

User image

I've been MIA for awhile, but did great at keeping up with my training during the month of June, it's been harder this month with a bunch of family vacations and travel, but I just came back and read all of your race reports and updates and it's helping me get fired back up

[Warning: The workout description below is why I needed a morale boost!]
My race is in 13 days (eek) and today was supposed to be a nutrition/endurance check according to my training plan. It started out fantastic, I did a great 2400m OWS in a strong time for me, switched over to the bike and was feeling great despite the 95 degree temps, felt like I could bike for days, was aiming for 60 miles, but at around mile 16 I didn't see a massive piece of metal in the bike lane (how did I miss it??) and got what I thought was just a standard flat on my back tire. Pulled over and replaced the tube -- only to see the tube bubbling out through the sidewall of my tire. Checked yelp and saw there was a bike shop 2 miles away -- walked/stand up rode my bike to the shop, bought a new tire and tube, replaced it, took a full hour to get everything all together, then hop back on the road, go another 8-10 miles and one of my spokes breaks! I've never had a broken spoke before, tried to figure out a way to make my tire stop rubbing against the brakes, no go, at this point I was about 5 miles from my car, so I just hobbled my bike back to the car -- I was coming up on 5 hours since starting my bike ride and had only actually ridden for about 2 of those hours -- at this point I should have been almost done with my ride and 8 mile run I was supposed to get in too. Needed to just call it a day and take my sunburned self to go grab some solid food and get my bike repaired. Trying not to feel too bummed out with these mishaps, bike is repaired now, going to see if there are any adjustments I can make to my training plan this week to help feel a bit more prepared as a I go into what should be my taper week -- I'm feeling like life events have kickstarted my taper and I'm a bit worried since this is my first 70.3!!

Have any of you ever needed to replace your tire (not the tube, but the actual tire) during a race? If so, what did you do?

Oh, also, Jim, thanks for the tip on best ways to take care of your Kaiman goggles, I haven't had a leak since

Happy training to everyone this week!
2014-07-14 7:15 AM
in reply to: tiffanyosh

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tiffanyosh I've been MIA for awhile, but did great at keeping up with my training during the month of June, it's been harder this month with a bunch of family vacations and travel, but I just came back and read all of your race reports and updates and it's helping me get fired back up [Warning: The workout description below is why I needed a morale boost!] My race is in 13 days (eek) and today was supposed to be a nutrition/endurance check according to my training plan. It started out fantastic, I did a great 2400m OWS in a strong time for me, switched over to the bike and was feeling great despite the 95 degree temps, felt like I could bike for days, was aiming for 60 miles, but at around mile 16 I didn't see a massive piece of metal in the bike lane (how did I miss it??) and got what I thought was just a standard flat on my back tire. Pulled over and replaced the tube -- only to see the tube bubbling out through the sidewall of my tire. Checked yelp and saw there was a bike shop 2 miles away -- walked/stand up rode my bike to the shop, bought a new tire and tube, replaced it, took a full hour to get everything all together, then hop back on the road, go another 8-10 miles and one of my spokes breaks! I've never had a broken spoke before, tried to figure out a way to make my tire stop rubbing against the brakes, no go, at this point I was about 5 miles from my car, so I just hobbled my bike back to the car -- I was coming up on 5 hours since starting my bike ride and had only actually ridden for about 2 of those hours -- at this point I should have been almost done with my ride and 8 mile run I was supposed to get in too. Needed to just call it a day and take my sunburned self to go grab some solid food and get my bike repaired. Trying not to feel too bummed out with these mishaps, bike is repaired now, going to see if there are any adjustments I can make to my training plan this week to help feel a bit more prepared as a I go into what should be my taper week -- I'm feeling like life events have kickstarted my taper and I'm a bit worried since this is my first 70.3!! Have any of you ever needed to replace your tire (not the tube, but the actual tire) during a race? If so, what did you do? Oh, also, Jim, thanks for the tip on best ways to take care of your Kaiman goggles, I haven't had a leak since Happy training to everyone this week!

These are the days when you are glad that it happened to you during a training day and not during a race.  Hitting the piece of metal and cutting your tire is a fluke and the chances of it happening during a race aren't that great.  So, there's not much you can do if it ever did happen during a race.  If it is a small cut in the tire one trick is to put a dollar bill between the tube and the cut area and the bill will prevent the tube from penetrating through the tire.  I haven't ever tried it but its supposed to be a temporary fix.  I wouldn't carry a bunch of stuff with you during a  race to fix a cut tire though.  Since you are so close to your race, not getting the full workout in isn't going to be a huge deal.  Just make sure you keep up some intensity over the next 2 weeks as you taper your volume.  I wouldn't alter your plan in an attempt to make up for the "lost" training day.   Better to be more rested than tired going into the race.   The hay is pretty much in the barn already, but again, keep up some intensity over the next 2 weeks.

2014-07-14 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by tiffanyosh I've been MIA for awhile, but did great at keeping up with my training during the month of June, it's been harder this month with a bunch of family vacations and travel, but I just came back and read all of your race reports and updates and it's helping me get fired back up [Warning: The workout description below is why I needed a morale boost!] My race is in 13 days (eek) and today was supposed to be a nutrition/endurance check according to my training plan. It started out fantastic, I did a great 2400m OWS in a strong time for me, switched over to the bike and was feeling great despite the 95 degree temps, felt like I could bike for days, was aiming for 60 miles, but at around mile 16 I didn't see a massive piece of metal in the bike lane (how did I miss it??) and got what I thought was just a standard flat on my back tire. Pulled over and replaced the tube -- only to see the tube bubbling out through the sidewall of my tire. Checked yelp and saw there was a bike shop 2 miles away -- walked/stand up rode my bike to the shop, bought a new tire and tube, replaced it, took a full hour to get everything all together, then hop back on the road, go another 8-10 miles and one of my spokes breaks! I've never had a broken spoke before, tried to figure out a way to make my tire stop rubbing against the brakes, no go, at this point I was about 5 miles from my car, so I just hobbled my bike back to the car -- I was coming up on 5 hours since starting my bike ride and had only actually ridden for about 2 of those hours -- at this point I should have been almost done with my ride and 8 mile run I was supposed to get in too. Needed to just call it a day and take my sunburned self to go grab some solid food and get my bike repaired. Trying not to feel too bummed out with these mishaps, bike is repaired now, going to see if there are any adjustments I can make to my training plan this week to help feel a bit more prepared as a I go into what should be my taper week -- I'm feeling like life events have kickstarted my taper and I'm a bit worried since this is my first 70.3!! Have any of you ever needed to replace your tire (not the tube, but the actual tire) during a race? If so, what did you do? Oh, also, Jim, thanks for the tip on best ways to take care of your Kaiman goggles, I haven't had a leak since Happy training to everyone this week!

These are the days when you are glad that it happened to you during a training day and not during a race.  Hitting the piece of metal and cutting your tire is a fluke and the chances of it happening during a race aren't that great.  So, there's not much you can do if it ever did happen during a race.  If it is a small cut in the tire one trick is to put a dollar bill between the tube and the cut area and the bill will prevent the tube from penetrating through the tire.  I haven't ever tried it but its supposed to be a temporary fix.  I wouldn't carry a bunch of stuff with you during a  race to fix a cut tire though.  Since you are so close to your race, not getting the full workout in isn't going to be a huge deal.  Just make sure you keep up some intensity over the next 2 weeks as you taper your volume.  I wouldn't alter your plan in an attempt to make up for the "lost" training day.   Better to be more rested than tired going into the race.   The hay is pretty much in the barn already, but again, keep up some intensity over the next 2 weeks.

agreed...also, most races will have a SAG wagon of some sorts, so if you needed help, they should be able to provide some sort of mechanical asisstance.

Good luck on the race!
2014-07-15 9:49 PM
in reply to: benihana

User image

Pro

It feels like September weather here in northwest WI.   Unbelievably pleasant weather for mid-July.  I almost turned my car heater on during the drive home yesterday afternoon....almost.  I looked at the long range forecast for Mont-Tremblant and it looks like fairly cool temps there for the next month - I'll take it (knowing the perils of long range forecasts).  How is everyone doing?

2014-07-16 1:06 AM
in reply to: #4996307

User image

Thanks for the tips, advice, and moral support! I've been having great training rides, runs, and swims all week and just trying to keep the intensity up! Hope that long range weather forecast holds up for you all for IMMT. Which reminds me, I'm now 10 days out, time to go check the weather report ?? happy training everyone!

2014-07-16 8:15 PM
in reply to: tiffanyosh

User image

Chicago
Will anyone be in Racine this weekend?

I'll be doing the HIM. Looks like the weather will be great. Hopefully the lake will be calm.

Good luck to those doing the IMMT!
2014-07-17 8:58 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Pro

I won't be doing Racine, but I've raced there many times....even before it became an Ironman 70.3 brand race.  Its often hot there but this year looks cooler.  Its a nice venue and that long walk down the beach to the swim start is a unique part of the race.  Good luck!

2014-07-17 10:00 AM

hey all - sorry I've been absent for a while. After Syracuse 70.3, I've had a few work and training issues here and there (a bit of plantar too...), so I'm not exactly where I want to be from a run standpoint heading into the last few weeks before IMMT, but I'm doing decently. I've been focusing on biking and swimming, and am fairly confident about those two disciplines. I ran 7 miles last night and for the most part, my plantar issues seems to be resolved, or at least manageable.

My plan is to run 10-13 miles tomorrow and then ride 90-100 miles on Saturday morning. And keep pushing hard until the week before IMMT, and then a 1 week taper. I am so excited about IMMT, but am so freaking out at the same time.

How's everybody doing here? Hope you're all well.

2014-07-18 6:52 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Originally posted by gdelamora

Will anyone be in Racine this weekend?

I'll be doing the HIM. Looks like the weather will be great. Hopefully the lake will be calm.

Good luck to those doing the IMMT!

Good luck at Racine

I am heading out to Catalina with the family for the next 2 days. Got a 40 mile ride in today. Plan on doing OWS swim out there tomorrow and hopefully a couple of runs.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31