BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2014-08-06 8:54 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed
My race is in 4 days- I'm not nervous about finishing, but a little nervous about being last. I'm so slow sometimes!! But it means I have a lot of room for PRing in the future, I guess.

2014-08-07 8:22 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Don't worry about being last, someone has to be, but looking at your times in your log, it probably won't be you. It depends how big your tri is, but there are usually much slower people. One thing I did was look at past years results online, look at all the times of people and compare them to what you expect for yourself, based on your training. No matter what, you are faster and better than those still sitting on the couch. Be proud of your accomplishments. Have fun!
2014-08-07 1:05 PM

User image

Don't worry, even if you are the DFL, this is NOT a bad thing. Finishing a triathlon is an amazing feat in itself. Just remember this formula

DFL > DNF > DNS = Dead Last is better than Did Not Finish is better than Did Not Start

I like this beginner tri story regarding her DFL experience

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to hear how your race goes.
2014-08-07 1:49 PM

Subject: RE: The end is near
I really like this idea of setting 'finish', 'average time per discipline + a few minutes', and 'to the moon' goals. Thanks for that tip!

I've also gained a lot of info from this board by getting in late. My first tri is really late in the season I guess (Sept 27), but thanks for the option to go with private message!

I went out and bought a tri suit which is more than any outfit I currently own (and it was even on clearance at REI) so can't back out now!

Tonight we are registering for the tri and getting a hotel.

I also managed to get on a borrowed road bike with some borrowed clip in shoes which, other than almost falling on my face while trying to clip in, went really well. It was so much easier.

Question of the day: I suppose I'm running barefooted from the swim to the bike - right? Has this been a problem for anyone?

Today I swam 1000m for the first time so I'm excited about that. The tri I'm doing is a 1500m swim but it is with the tide (down a channel) and most do it in the time it takes them to swim 750 to 1000m. I need to figure out somewhere to swim in the open water at least once before the tri though. We haven't tackled that one yet.

Bike is still absolutely killer. I have no idea why it is so incredibly difficult for me to bike 12 miles when the swim and run are OK. It seems like it's the opposite for most everyone else. I did hook up a tag-a-long bike to the rear of my mountain bike so I can ride during the day when the little one is at home. There is not much greater than her getting off the bike, taking off her helmet, and saying, "Mom! We sweaty twins!". Hahaha.

We also printed out last years race times so we have something to shoot for. Going for 'over the moon' at middle of the pack

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll hop into a group much earlier next year!

Laurina
2014-08-08 11:22 AM
in reply to: tri-ing to do a tri

User image

Subject: First lake swim - done!
Hi all:

Had a veteran triathlete friend go with me to the local puddle this morning so I could get some lake swimming experience. I was really nervous about it, but so glad I did it. I discovered that putting my face in the lake and swimming freestyle caused a panic for me. We swam a bunch of laps in the swim area and even went out into the "weeds" a bit so I could get a feel for that. Even though I was not comfortable putting my face in the water for any length of time, I feel much more confident that I will be able to swim with my head up, breaststroke, and backstroke my way through a short 300 yard swim. She told me that she has seen it all, including one person who walked the entire perimeter of a small lake rather than swim it.

My first tri is August 23 :-)

Jenni

2014-08-08 12:28 PM
in reply to: GimpyRUNR

User image

, New York
Subject: RE: First lake swim - done!
My first open-water-swim was a miserable failure. It gets better!!! Make time to get back to the puddle and do it some more (and more and more and more).

Each time you'll learn something and each time you'll feel more confident (believe me, having just a *little* more confidence each time helps!

I wish you nothing but the best on the 23rd!

(My first tri is this Sunday :-)

2014-08-09 8:49 AM
in reply to: mbcoulter

User image

I'll look forward to reading your race report, mbcoulter! Have a fantastic race!

We are heading out on a week's vacation to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. I'll be surrounded by water for 7 days, so this is the perfect training opportunity for me in open water. The forecast looks fantastic - perfect swimming weather. My husband and daughter will be my training partners.

2014-08-10 3:27 PM

User image

It went really well! The weather was beautiful, and the group that runs the tri has done it at this location for 28 years, 3 X a summer, so they have race organization down.

I got all signed in and set up my stuff in the transition area. There was an olympic that started first, then the sprint 30 minutes later. They had 4 waves for the sprint- another local sprint got cancelled a few weeks back, so it was pretty full. I was in the last wave (over 40 women). The swim went pretty well- it seemed like it went on forever. I just get going from buoy to buoy, checking my bearings everyone in a while. I swam pretty much next to another woman for most of the race- towards the end I think I pulled a little but a head of her. I just kept telling myself to relax for the swim, and I did for the most part.

Transition went OK, except I pulled my shirt on and managed to rip two of the safety pins out of my number, so I had to redo those. Then I was off on the bike. I passed a few people, got passed by a few- and the elite Olympic people were definitely passing me. I managed to jump my chain off the gears at one point- I overshifted on the front, and it popped off. I stopped and got it back on right away, but I was on a downhill, so I lost the speed I had. But other than that it went fine. I did under an hour, which is better than I had hoped for.

Transition 2 was a but better- I only had to dump my bike stuff and grab my water bottle. I forgot to take off my glasses, so I dropped by a fence post I knew I could find later- DH actually saw me drop them and picked them up for me. The run was hard. My legs didn't feel noodle-like so much as on the verge of wanting to cramp all the time. I just kept pushing along, it felt pretty slow but I kept going. The last quarter mile or so I picked up the pace and really pushed to get over the finish line.

The splits don't come out until tomorrow- but I know I finished 133rd (don't know out of how many) and I did it in 1:45:34. My goals were 1. finish 2. under 2 hours 3. Under 1:50. I am thrilled!!!

Next up is in 4 weeks, and is a little longer swim (800 instead of 600), so I'll work on that some more. And not dropping my chain. That's the one rocketboy is going to do a kids tri the same day.
2014-08-10 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by el penguino

It went really well! The weather was beautiful, and the group that runs the tri has done it at this location for 28 years, 3 X a summer, so they have race organization down.

I got all signed in and set up my stuff in the transition area. There was an olympic that started first, then the sprint 30 minutes later. They had 4 waves for the sprint- another local sprint got cancelled a few weeks back, so it was pretty full. I was in the last wave (over 40 women). The swim went pretty well- it seemed like it went on forever. I just get going from buoy to buoy, checking my bearings everyone in a while. I swam pretty much next to another woman for most of the race- towards the end I think I pulled a little but a head of her. I just kept telling myself to relax for the swim, and I did for the most part.

Transition went OK, except I pulled my shirt on and managed to rip two of the safety pins out of my number, so I had to redo those. Then I was off on the bike. I passed a few people, got passed by a few- and the elite Olympic people were definitely passing me. I managed to jump my chain off the gears at one point- I overshifted on the front, and it popped off. I stopped and got it back on right away, but I was on a downhill, so I lost the speed I had. But other than that it went fine. I did under an hour, which is better than I had hoped for.

Transition 2 was a but better- I only had to dump my bike stuff and grab my water bottle. I forgot to take off my glasses, so I dropped by a fence post I knew I could find later- DH actually saw me drop them and picked them up for me. The run was hard. My legs didn't feel noodle-like so much as on the verge of wanting to cramp all the time. I just kept pushing along, it felt pretty slow but I kept going. The last quarter mile or so I picked up the pace and really pushed to get over the finish line.

The splits don't come out until tomorrow- but I know I finished 133rd (don't know out of how many) and I did it in 1:45:34. My goals were 1. finish 2. under 2 hours 3. Under 1:50. I am thrilled!!!

Next up is in 4 weeks, and is a little longer swim (800 instead of 600), so I'll work on that some more. And not dropping my chain. That's the one rocketboy is going to do a kids tri the same day.

Great job Nancy or should I say, Triathlete. It's sounds like you had a great day and learned some things along the way for the next one. You worked hard for this so sit back and enjoy the accomplishment for a day or two and then get back at it
2014-08-10 8:24 PM

User image

Congrats Nancy!
2014-08-11 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mbcoulter

My first open-water-swim was a miserable failure. It gets better!!! Make time to get back to the puddle and do it some more (and more and more and more).

Each time you'll learn something and each time you'll feel more confident (believe me, having just a *little* more confidence each time helps!

I wish you nothing but the best on the 23rd!

(My first tri is this Sunday :-)

How'd your race go? The suspense!

2014-08-11 8:44 AM

User image

So, I have 4 weeks from yesterday until my next race. This one has a bit longer swim- 880 instead of 600 yards. I definitely feel like that is going to be a bit of a struggle. What kind of things would you do to improve over the 3 weeks I have? I know it's not a lot of time, but I'm hoping to get a little but of improvement. My swims these days are 1200-1600 yrds; mostly 200 yard repeats. Should I do more like run training (1 long, one short, 1 medium) or just work on lengthening? I'm not really doing anything special in my swims, jsut laps and trying to have good form. Any opinions or suggestions?

Also, trying to decide if I should get a wetsuit...
2014-08-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, New York
Subject: Cazenova Triathlon report
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Just posted a report here!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Cutting to chase it was harder than I had expected but... I placed 3rd in my age group and 36th overall (out of 129) in the sprint distance!

{Insert happy dance here!}

Here's a link to the full results:
http://results.score-this.com/ResultFiles/20140810CAZZResults.pdf

And some photos taken by our local newspaper:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/08/cazenovia_triathlon_...

Edited by mbcoulter 2014-08-11 9:23 AM
2014-08-11 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cazenova Triathlon report

Just posted a report here!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Cutting to chase it was harder than I had expected but... I placed 3rd in my age group and 36th overall (out of 129) in the sprint distance!

{Insert happy dance here!}

Here's a link to the full results:
http://results.score-this.com/ResultFiles/20140810CAZZResults.pdf

And some photos taken by our local newspaper:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/08/cazenovia_triathlon_...

Great race and congrats on the podium finish I always find it humorous how we look at others' race reports and compare them to ourselves without even thinking about it. I see your run time and average per mile and think man that's great, I'd kill for that, and then read that you were disappointed with it and wanted 3 or so minutes faster. Just goes to show how varied everyone is in this sport and how different people are from one discipline to the next. Great Race, you worked hard and deserved your spot on the podium.
2014-08-11 1:08 PM

User image

Well done! Great race report.
2014-08-11 3:44 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Congratulations Matt and Nancy on your tri's. Matt, how great to place in your age group on your first triathlon!
I love reading everyone's report of their races.

2014-08-12 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by el penguino

So, I have 4 weeks from yesterday until my next race. This one has a bit longer swim- 880 instead of 600 yards. I definitely feel like that is going to be a bit of a struggle. What kind of things would you do to improve over the 3 weeks I have? I know it's not a lot of time, but I'm hoping to get a little but of improvement. My swims these days are 1200-1600 yrds; mostly 200 yard repeats. Should I do more like run training (1 long, one short, 1 medium) or just work on lengthening? I'm not really doing anything special in my swims, jsut laps and trying to have good form. Any opinions or suggestions?

Also, trying to decide if I should get a wetsuit...

I pretty much do the same distance 3 times a week when I'm preparing for a race, which was usually no less than 250 yards further than the distance I was going to have to swim in the race. I would then do a different workout each of the three swim days to equal that total with one swim always being the entire distance non-stop. For example, Mon - Swim 500 x 5 for 2500 yard, Wed. - Swim 2500 Straight, Fri. - Swim 250 x 10 for 2500 yards. This was pretty much what I did while preparing for my Half Ironman. I would make the non-stop swim on which ever day that week that my body felt good and it would not hurt me with a long run on ride on the same day.

As far as the wetsuit you have to decide that, but like i have said on here with the cost of an Xterra suit, if you have the $120 and think you may use it and your weight does flucuate a lot, I would say to get it. That way it is always there if / when you need it and it's not like it's going to go bad.
2014-08-12 8:38 AM

User image

Thanks! I think that sounds like a great plan for the next couple weeks- especially planning a couple swims of the full distance or more. And everyone I've talked to has said go for it on the wetsuit, so I'm ordering one of those too.

3.6 weeks until the next race!
2014-08-12 8:40 AM

User image

oh, and my adventure for the day...

I rode my bike into work this morning- first ride since Sunday’s race- just to start getting back into training, slowly. About halfway in, I broke a spoke! No idea how. Luckily, DH (gets huge kuods for this!) made me take the cell phone- I was thinking- aw its just to work, no biggie. So thank bob it didn’t happen on Sunday, I don’t know if I could have finished, and thank bob DH got me the phone.

I felt like quite the pro- he drove up, took my bike, adjusted the seat on his bike, and sent me off to finish my ride. I have a pit crew!
2014-08-12 8:58 AM

User image

I need to get one of those mobile pit crews!

My next sprint tri is 5 weeks out and after many weeks of physical therapy and spending many hours trying to landscape our new house... I'm officially starting my training again this week. It's too bad shoveling dirt and bark mulch isn't part of the triathlon, because my training would be peaking right now.

It feels good to have triathlon training on my mind 24/7 once again.
2014-08-13 10:30 AM

User image

, New York
  • .. and then read that you were disappointed with it and wanted 3 or so minutes faster. Just goes to show how varied everyone is in this sport and how different people are from one discipline to the next...

• After a couple of days to think this over, rest and reflect on it I think I was naive (actually very naive...) in my expectations for the run! On a great day with fresh legs I can do just 5k in under 25 minutes. (More typical is 26 minutes.) So running a low 28 following the swim and bike doesn't seem that bad at all!

I also plan to shift things around a bit to accommodate a long(er) run in my training. I never ran more than 5-miles since this spring and my legs really took a pounding during this event. I hope to build up to a Saturday run of 8-10 miles and move my biking to Friday mornings (at least while it's light enough outside to do this safely).

Thinking about the swim, my pace was pretty consistent with what I can do in a pool (~2 minutes/100 yards) but I do think I'll treat myself to a wetsuit before I do this again. Looking at photos of one I'm tempted to do it might be a good idea!

Check out the spectators:
    http://bobbrockimages.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/9-14-13-DeRuyt...

I looked up the weather on this race and it was 50f at 7am! BBBRRRRR, it can be chilly in Central New York in September!

This was a huge challenge but all the supportive people made it a GREAT experience! This web site was (IS) a fantastic resource and ALL the local people in Fleet Feet and the CNYTriClub were amazing in helping newbies like me through it!

2014-08-13 10:56 AM

User image

All,

Congrats to those who completed their first tri's! I agree, this site is a great resource and inspiration. I am now preparing for my 3rd tri and final for this year. Next year I will start on distance's for an olympic and possibly my ultimate goal of an HIM. Thanks to all!

MIke
    2014-08-13 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

• .. and then read that you were disappointed with it and wanted 3 or so minutes faster. Just goes to show how varied everyone is in this sport and how different people are from one discipline to the next...

• After a couple of days to think this over, rest and reflect on it I think I was naive (actually very naive...) in my expectations for the run! On a great day with fresh legs I can do just 5k in under 25 minutes. (More typical is 26 minutes.) So running a low 28 following the swim and bike doesn't seem that bad at all!

I also plan to shift things around a bit to accommodate a long(er) run in my training. I never ran more than 5-miles since this spring and my legs really took a pounding during this event. I hope to build up to a Saturday run of 8-10 miles and move my biking to Friday mornings (at least while it's light enough outside to do this safely).

Matt, I know this is going to sound really off pudding, and this is by no means all people (so grain of salt), but you don't really need to Run more, you need to Ride more. For a lot of people and I was one of them, my run did not improve until I was able to Ride during training further than I would in my race and be left feeling like I had not ridden at all. Heck, I did not make it through the entire run portion of a race without walking until I did the above and that was in an Olympic and I had only been doing long runs of 6 miles when the Olympic was 6. The other thing here is that the cycling is so much easier on your joints and muscles than going out for 10 mile runs and so forth in prep of a 3 mile run. I think going up some to like 6 mile runs would be more than sufficient for the improvement you want if you increase the bike training. It is your game to play, but just wanted to pass on something that worked for me and others. As an example, I had a friend that did a Half Ironman race and could knock out 12 -16 mile runs like they were nothing prior to his race. His average run was no less than 6 miles and he ran no less than 4 times a week. I noticed that he was not riding very much and commented to that affect. He did increase his riding some but stuck to the running believing that it would more than compensate for the (easier) biking discipline. Well race day came and he found himself average over 12 minute miles and walking, when he could easily go at a pace of 8 min. miles in training for a Half Marathon. The body needs to be fully prepared for each discipline and besides nutrient in a long race, I believe and others do as well that the Bike is the biggest deciding factor for how your run will go. Just my .02
    2014-08-13 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Subject: RE: Turtles
    I wanted to clarify a post for earlier when I talked about the group ending. This set of groups is at the time when they have ended and a lot of people stop checking in and going on their way. This does not mean that you can not continue to post here and ask questions. What it means is that the activity level usually drops and what I was saying is that I will not be checking in as often as I normally would, but will at least 1 or 2 times a week. I would be doing so even more, but hunting season is right around the corner and I spend more time in the woods than on the computer from September thru January. So the point is, is that this is yall's group and will be until the new mentor groups form, so if you want it to continue it can and will continue
    2014-08-14 10:18 AM

User image

This is great advice. I cramped up during the first part of my run after completing the bike segment, which really surprised me because I didn't realize how fatigued my legs were. I'll need to increase my bike training this time around to make sure my legs can transition into the run more comfortably... so off I go now for a bike ride now!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 8, 2008
    author : pjwalzphd
    comments : 2
    When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
    author : scubachic9999
    comments : 4
    Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
    date : January 1, 2008
    author : agrace
    comments : 4
    I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
    date : September 26, 2004
    author : jhealy422
    For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
    author : Ron
    Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
    comments : 12
    This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.