BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2014-07-27 7:34 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Turtles
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete[/b

Now I'm sitting here wandering how Kristen's day went, I'm sure she did great but can't wait to hear it from her.

I'm sorry I didn't post here yesterday. I did put it in my log and races though. I've been so tired this past week, and yesterday was no exception. I took a nap in the afternoon and then went to bed at 830.
My 16 year old daughter and I did the race. It was at the same place as the mock tri last week, but the swim and run were both longer, and the run went on the sand the second half.
So, it started out that they changed the swim order, putting the 15-19 age group first, but of course a lot of the kids weren't at the beach in time to start (originally, they were to be the last group starting). Luckily, we were at the beach, so I was able to see my daughter start. She started 8-10 min earlier than me. The ocean was not as calm as last week either, a definite chop, but not super wavy. It was good open water practice, and I was able to do freestyle the whole way. My daughter told me she did back stroke a lot. It was my first real swim with a good amount of body contact with other swimmers. That is interesting. I touched several people's feet, rubbed against a couple, but nothing too bad. 42 women in my age group.
The transition area was a good distance to the parking lot from the beach. I managed to clip into my bike with one foot easily, but had to start pedaling a bit before I could get the other one clipped in. After that, I was off. It felt so good to not have the whole world pass me. Don't get me wrong, a lot of men on tri bikes passed me going very fast, but I was able to pass some people too, a first for me. In fact, towards the last 1/4 of the race, a lady my age and I kept trading places. She had regular pedals, so I told myself I had the advantage, and that I should lead with the heel in pedaling. It would get me ahead of her, then she would get ahead of me again. I didn't feel like I was pushing it too much, but my avg speed was 17.5 mph, compared to last week on the old bike, 13.4mph. I un-velcroed my shoes, leaving them clipped in, and stepped out of them when I dismounted, something I hadn't done, but had only read about. Not too bad.
The run sucked. Starting right away, I was too tired, taking walking breaks. I decided to do 1 min of walk, 1 min of run, alternating. It worked out for me but that is not what I'd hoped for, and just a sign of my tired week. Maybe I used too much energy on the bike? I ate a gu and drank a lot, but ?
My overall time was 1:30, 8 min ahead of my daughter (although she had come in ahead of me, due to early start).
A good after party, lots of food.
My second official triathlon. I feel it went well, other than the run, but it's July in Florida, HOT.

2014-07-27 7:53 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed
OK, I have 2 swimming questions after my mock tri yesterday. The first one is- do you wear undies under the tri suit? It comes with a bra, so that is covered, but I don't know.

Second: When I am swimming laps int he pool, I can usually do almost the first 100 yards in 4 breathe freestyle (left, right, left, right/breath), then I drop down to 3 for a little and settle at 2 for the last 75 in a 200 yard repeat. When I'm in the lake, I feel like I need to drop down my strokes/breath a lot faster than that- is it really that much harder to swim in open water, or am I just not judging how fast I'm starting out?

I was glad I got the swim in yesterday- I was able to relax a bit more int he water so I didn't need to switch to breast stroke as much. And the water was a bit choppy so I got to experience that, and I got to swim in my tri suit.
2014-07-27 7:55 AM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Congrats on your second tri! Sounds like a good experience, and I cna't imagine doing it in July in FL!!
2014-07-27 8:30 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Originally posted by el penguino

OK, I have 2 swimming questions after my mock tri yesterday. The first one is- do you wear undies under the tri suit? It comes with a bra, so that is covered, but I don't know.

Second: When I am swimming laps int he pool, I can usually do almost the first 100 yards in 4 breathe freestyle (left, right, left, right/breath), then I drop down to 3 for a little and settle at 2 for the last 75 in a 200 yard repeat. When I'm in the lake, I feel like I need to drop down my strokes/breath a lot faster than that- is it really that much harder to swim in open water, or am I just not judging how fast I'm starting out?

I was glad I got the swim in yesterday- I was able to relax a bit more int he water so I didn't need to switch to breast stroke as much. And the water was a bit choppy so I got to experience that, and I got to swim in my tri suit.

No undies under the tri suit. I do wear a sports bra under my top, as the support isn't enough for during the run for me.

I hear ya about the difference in pool and open water breathing. I have to breath more frequently in open water and during races too. Heart rate is pumping and working harder, so I figure it needs more oxygen. Yesterday, I was able to do some 3 stroke breathing, but mostly 2 strokes and I am happy with whatever works. Good luck on your upcoming race.
2014-07-27 9:40 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by el penguino

Yes and no. First off don't put a lot of thought into your breathing while racing and swimming in open water. Learn properly and practice those in training, which will help you in a race and open water. The thing is that in the open water and races you have multiple factors that limit your ability to swim like you train: current, waves, group size, contact, fogged googles, leaky googles, light, no real gauge of distance, your excited heart rate, perceived versus real output +++++. What I'm saying is that you can do this or that but when a wave or person hits you that pattern is thrown off. I have gotten to the point that I tell myself to put one arm in front of the other and go at a steady pace i know I can complete the swim at. Heck i breath basically every stroke (left arm right arm breath) and can be at or under 2 min per 100 for 1.2 miles. Now that's not fast but it works for me by any means but I'm at the front of the MOP. You are doing the biggest thing you need to do right now which is getting use to swimming in open water.

O and I don't wear panties so I'll let Kristen's answer guide you
2014-07-27 2:53 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Nancy, no undies is definitely best. Wet undies on the bike=chafing. Bad! 

Kristen, sounds like a pretty good race, despite the run. I tend to struggle with running off the bike, I think you don't realise how much all that cycling fatigues your legs until you try and run. Funnily, if I do manage to push through and run the whole distance, I usually find my time is reasonable. I think my brain is tricked into thinking I'm moving really slowly as it's used to seeing the world go past at cycling speed, so I unconciously try to run faster, and that wipes me out. Either way the only answer is more brick training. Something I'm not so good at!

2014-07-27 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Working out through stress
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by Lovey

Originally posted by Lovey

I had a great workout today training on my duathlon course. Miscalculated the first leg and only got 1.6 miles but that was ok. The bike course was a challenging, hilly course. Trying to distract myself.
Run 1.6 miles - biked 13.46 miles - run 2 miles.

This week my workouts have been intense to burn off family stress.
My aunt passed and the funeral in on July 12th in Jamaica.
My mother was rushed to the emergency room last night with jaundice, leg swelling, nausea, fatigue all due to an enlarged liver. Enlarged liver could be so many things so we are waiting on test scans and biopsy results. My day would be devastated if anything happens to her. They take care of each other. He is diabetic with one leg amputated right below the knee. My sister is stepping in as best as she can. Luckily my mom is in the hospital my sister works at.

On top of that, we are scheduled for vacation July 14th in Jamaica! We couldn't change our plans and they couldn't push the funeral later due to church availability.

This would be the first time my hubby and kids have left the country. It's hard to enjoy while so many other things are going on.
Praying my mother's solution is treatable.

Thought I would give you guys an update.
No workout today. Yesterday, I had tough run as I was feeling a little under the weather.
As of yesterday afternoon and today, I am downright sick. Dry cough, headache, dry scratchy throat and overall crapiness.

My mother is diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Inoperable. Chemo is delayed due to some level of something in her system is too high at a 10. It has to be a 5 or less.
My sister is holding down the fort while my brother, uncle and cousin attend my aunt's funeral in Jamaica.
Hubby and I are considering cancelling our trip because my mother seems ok now but worry she'll get worse sooner rather than later.
Trying to see if our resort hotel fee is refundable at this point. Airline cost can be credited back to us with no fees.

Tracy, I am sorry for your loss and terrible news yall are having to endure with your mother. This group and I are here if you need anything and I will certainly send some prayers y'all's way.

My mother was released under home hospice care as the hospital was no longer able to help her.
I bought a plane ticket for last Wednesday (7/23) night to see her. Unfortunately, she passed the morning of 7/23rd.

I don't know if I am still doing my duathlon but I will be bowing out of the triathlon as it is the same weekend of the funeral.
I am tasked with planning the services and handling the details. A lot of work and frustration.

Over the coming weeks I may not post as often. I am very overwhelmed.

2014-07-27 4:09 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Stress works the body too, and sometimes it's too much to try to exercise also. Take the time you need. Thinking of you. There will be other triathlons you can do.
2014-07-27 9:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tracy, I am so sorry for your loss and what your family is going through at this time.
2014-07-27 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Kris67

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete[/b

Now I'm sitting here wandering how Kristen's day went, I'm sure she did great but can't wait to hear it from her.

I'm sorry I didn't post here yesterday. I did put it in my log and races though. I've been so tired this past week, and yesterday was no exception. I took a nap in the afternoon and then went to bed at 830.
My 16 year old daughter and I did the race. It was at the same place as the mock tri last week, but the swim and run were both longer, and the run went on the sand the second half.
So, it started out that they changed the swim order, putting the 15-19 age group first, but of course a lot of the kids weren't at the beach in time to start (originally, they were to be the last group starting). Luckily, we were at the beach, so I was able to see my daughter start. She started 8-10 min earlier than me. The ocean was not as calm as last week either, a definite chop, but not super wavy. It was good open water practice, and I was able to do freestyle the whole way. My daughter told me she did back stroke a lot. It was my first real swim with a good amount of body contact with other swimmers. That is interesting. I touched several people's feet, rubbed against a couple, but nothing too bad. 42 women in my age group.
The transition area was a good distance to the parking lot from the beach. I managed to clip into my bike with one foot easily, but had to start pedaling a bit before I could get the other one clipped in. After that, I was off. It felt so good to not have the whole world pass me. Don't get me wrong, a lot of men on tri bikes passed me going very fast, but I was able to pass some people too, a first for me. In fact, towards the last 1/4 of the race, a lady my age and I kept trading places. She had regular pedals, so I told myself I had the advantage, and that I should lead with the heel in pedaling. It would get me ahead of her, then she would get ahead of me again. I didn't feel like I was pushing it too much, but my avg speed was 17.5 mph, compared to last week on the old bike, 13.4mph. I un-velcroed my shoes, leaving them clipped in, and stepped out of them when I dismounted, something I hadn't done, but had only read about. Not too bad.
The run sucked. Starting right away, I was too tired, taking walking breaks. I decided to do 1 min of walk, 1 min of run, alternating. It worked out for me but that is not what I'd hoped for, and just a sign of my tired week. Maybe I used too much energy on the bike? I ate a gu and drank a lot, but ?
My overall time was 1:30, 8 min ahead of my daughter (although she had come in ahead of me, due to early start).
A good after party, lots of food.
My second official triathlon. I feel it went well, other than the run, but it's July in Florida, HOT.

Kristen, congrats on the second Tri and really good time. I think Anna hit it on the head. The run likely had more to do with you over cooking the bike than you being worn out. I would also say that it was almost to be expected not only for you but almost everyone in your shoes. You were in your second Tri, first on a road bike, and your first real ride on the new bike. Hell i likely would have gone so hard I would of had to walk the entire run, wait I basically did that in my first Tri. Your new riding speed / effort will come in line in no time. You were use to the other bike and effort level before the run and it changed. You will get stronger and stronger. Also I go more towards the new school when I say this, don't think you need to kill yourself with bricks. Train longer time and distance on the bike and then when you go shorter and get off you will be fresh. Just keep running like always. Also you may be like I was and really need a heart rate monitor to kind of stay in the right cycling effort to optimize your day. Like i said though almost anyone would have gone hard during a Tri after getting a new ride. Great job again!!!
2014-07-28 1:15 AM

User image

Tracy

Very sorry to learn of your mothers passing.

Condolences to you & your family.

Rod

2014-07-28 3:56 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I'm very sorry to hear, Tracy. My sympathy to you and your family.

2014-07-28 7:15 AM

User image

Nice job Kristen - 17.5 mph on your bike for the first time is impressive. Give it a few weeks and I bet you'll be up around 20 mph.
2014-07-28 7:16 AM

User image

Sorry to hear about your mother Lovey.
2014-07-28 7:41 AM

User image

Very sorry to hear to loss of your mother as well. My condolences.
2014-07-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: The end is near
Well Turtles we are starting to reach the end of the Mentor Group Time. It's funny that this is my 3rd group and now I really do see / understand why the planned length of the groups are where they are. I can tell not only in this group but all of them how much the post and activity has dropped. This is not a bad thing because yall and people in each group generally have not stopped working out. Ron (mod.) is right when he says these groups are to get people to a point that they are comfortable, get questions answered, and get into a routine. We will stay after it for at least the next two weeks to ensure that we get Nancy across the line and learn from her race. No matter what, I want each and everyone of you to know that whether this group is going or not you can always send me a PM with any and every question you have. You will continue to get the random inspires and if your life and goals take you away from this site just send me a line and let me know. For instance I had 1 former Turtle that got off BT recently not because he was getting out of the sport but because he was advancing in it and part of a team / training group where are his workouts were planned, reviewed, and logged on their site. Once again, no matter what, you can always send me a PM regardless of what it is for or when.

2014-07-29 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, New York
  • .. Ron (mod.) is right when he says these groups are to get people to a point that they are comfortable, get questions answered, and get into a routine...

• Hi Todd,

This site and your contributions has been an HUGE help. Thank you for investing your time with us!

I took a few moments to look back on my training log and see what I've done. This is the 1st time I have ever kept a workout log and it's pretty cool to look back on things. I have logged (correction) 16 weeks of training and a total of 94 workouts here. My weekly average has been 5 training days per week. (I KNOW that on my own I'd average more like 3 workouts per week.) With my 1st race less than two weeks away I feel great! Could I have done more training? Sure! But as you shared with us, we need to keep balance in our lives and I truly feel I have been able to make this work for me without adversely affecting my family and primary commitments.

Let me ask you and anyone else out there a question - for your 1st tri did you have any specific time goal in mind or was your goal finishing? My race is a sprint distance (.5 mile swim, 14 mile bike, 3.1 mile run) and as I look at the previous results for my race I'm really hoping to finish somewhere in the 1h 30-35 minute time frame.

Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck in their races!

Edited by mbcoulter 2014-07-30 6:45 AM
    2014-07-29 8:01 PM
    in reply to: mbcoulter

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by mbcoulter

• .. Ron (mod.) is right when he says these groups are to get people to a point that they are comfortable, get questions answered, and get into a routine...

• Hi Todd,

This site and your contributions has been an HUGE help. Thank you for investing your time with us!

I took a few moments to look back on my training log and see what I've done. This is the 1st time I have ever kept a workout log and it's pretty cool to look back on things. I have logged 18 weeks of training and a total of 94 workouts here. My weekly average has been 5 training days per week. (I KNOW that on my own I'd average more like 3 workouts per week.) With my 1st race less than two weeks away I feel great! Could I have done more training? Sure! But as you shared with us, we need to keep balance in our lives and I truly feel I have been able to make this work for me without adversely affecting my family and primary commitments.

Let me ask you and anyone else out there a question - for your 1st tri did you have any specific time goal in mind or was your goal finishing? My race is a sprint distance (.5 mile swim, 14 mile bike, 3.1 mile run) and as I look at the previous results for my race I'm really hoping to finish somewhere in the 1h 30-35 minute time frame.

Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck in their races!

Let me share what I heard and still go with when thinking of race times. First race the first goal time is to finish (when you get to your second this would be any time you can finish in even on a bad day), second goal time is what your average time is per disciplines added together plus / minus a few minute. Last is your to the moon goal, your near perfectly executed race day and new found speed. For instance my Half Ironman in April I set it at 6:30 (longer than my last), 6:15 (a few minutes faster than my last), and then under 6 hours. I was able to come in under my 2 the moon and broke six hours, which took probably the best race I've ever run. That said I have definitely changed my just show up and finish thought. I still just want to finish first of all but now I want to toe the line, knowing i put in the work before and deserve to be there. I ran quit a few races very unprepared and knew I left time out there because of my lack of prep work. I say all of that to say that now after four years I can look at the course, my logs, and my current level and estimate pretty closely my finish time.
    2014-07-29 10:03 PM

User image

Veteran
    Baltimore Area
    Back from a stressful few days in Miami planning my mother's service.

In the midst of all that, a good run would have been helpful. I had no time and I was so exhausted.
    Went for a stress relieving run this morning. It did help just to run.

I have a duathlon on 8/3 and a triathlon on 8/16.
    With all that is happening, I don't feel mentally ready for Sunday's duathlon.
    The triathlon is the same weekend as my mom's services.

Even though the race sites say no refunds or deferrals, I requested both from them with the offer of a copy of the death certificate if they needed it.
    Both race directors gave me deferrals to the 2015 race.

I may do a triathlon later in the year, I just need time to process. I will still log my workouts but traveling back to Florida will throw me off track a little.

I hope everyone is still on track with workouts and enjoying themselves along the way.
    2014-07-30 2:09 PM

User image

While I've been injured for almost this entire session, it's been great tuning in to see what everyone else is up to. I don't know anyone locally who trains for triathlons, so BT and this group have really helped me to feel connected and motivated as I train. Thanks Todd again for mentoring and thanks everyone else for sharing your stories and questions.

Keep up the training everyone!
    2014-07-30 2:31 PM

User image

Thanks Todd for all of your inspires and keeping the large collective motivated. I know from previous posts that you had a lot to juggle this time around, and yet you were still there with the advice and inspiration. This period I was able to put together a log which showed definite improvement over time, and I was able to run my first tri, and ready to run my second this coming weekend. I will give a full report next week before the group disbands, but as like my first race, I am nervous and excited all at once!

Again, thanks Todd and everyone for the support and comments, it is much appreciated!

Mike

2014-07-31 2:33 PM
    in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Subject: RE:cold water
    I have a question about swimming in cold water. I am seriously thinking about signing up for a sprint tri in mid October, but I am afraid the water temp will be in the low 70's, and I don't do cold, that's why I live in florida. Those of you that swim in much colder water must think I'm nuts, but I don't own a wet suit, and I wonder if it's even worth buying one at the end of the season, or renting one, or just not doing the race. Any thoughts?

Is there going to be another mentor group starting up again, or does it only happen during tri season? This is my first year here, and I"m loving it, totally addicted. I love the log and how I can see my monthly totals, or weekly even. I love being able to see other's logs too.
    I appreciate everyone's input so far. Good luck to those with tri's coming up.

2014-07-31 4:00 PM

User image

I had the same dilemma at the start this year. I competed in a tri in my hometown, which is one of the finger lakes and upstate NY had experienced one of the coldest winters in years. The water temp was 66 race day, brrrr....

I ended up buying a wet suit, and here's why:
    A wet suit rental is usually 45-60 per rental. The wet suit I bought was a NeoSport long john (sleeveless, up to calves on legs) for a little over 100 dollars. I bought it from Wet Suit Warehouse in Hagerstown, MD. They are on the web, but have a live person who will answer the phone, and give them your dimensions and they will size it pretty close. My wet suit fits like the proverbial glove. Make sure you ask for a triathlon specific suit. It does really make a difference! It will be thicker to provide buoyancy and will have a smooth outer skin meant for swimming. Most water skiing wet suits have a flat, rougher texture which might slow you down. Also it will not provide buoyancy. If you lose interest, you can always sell it online somewhere.

Personally I like the sleeveless, it does not hinder my swim stroke, and it will keep you plenty warm in chilly water. Also remember that most races 78 degrees and above is not USAT legal, and at 84 degrees and above, no suit at all. Check with the race coordinator for the rules.

Hope this helps, just my past experience from what I learned by posting here; and making the mistake of buying a closeout on Amazon. Fortunately, Amazon took the return because the zipper broke when I first tried it on.
    2014-07-31 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by Kris67

I have a question about swimming in cold water. I am seriously thinking about signing up for a sprint tri in mid October, but I am afraid the water temp will be in the low 70's, and I don't do cold, that's why I live in florida. Those of you that swim in much colder water must think I'm nuts, but I don't own a wet suit, and I wonder if it's even worth buying one at the end of the season, or renting one, or just not doing the race. Any thoughts?

Is there going to be another mentor group starting up again, or does it only happen during tri season? This is my first year here, and I"m loving it, totally addicted. I love the log and how I can see my monthly totals, or weekly even. I love being able to see other's logs too.
    I appreciate everyone's input so far. Good luck to those with tri's coming up.

Kristen, if you think you may want to do a race in cold water then I have one word for you Xterra. You can get a full or sleeveless suit new with a BT code for right around 120 - 140. I did both Halfs and an Olympic in mine and have been very satisfied and at the price and don't feel guilty watching it sit in the closet 90% of the time. I like you am not use to cold water and wondered what I got myself into when I got into Lake Michigan last summer and it was 58. Race day it was 63 and I really could not tell the difference and made it through the half. Where you are from I would suggest a sleeveless as you will only use one at the very start and end of the seasons with the temps likely being near cutoff, which would help you with overheating.

To your other question there will be another set of groups likely in a few months but I am always here. I will likely do it again and you are welcome or you can chose a different group. Everyone can continue to post here until then it's just most don't check it as often.
    2014-08-03 7:17 PM

User image

Subject: Weekly Update
    Hi Turtles

I started off the week with a couple of runs. Unfortunately this resulted in knee soreness so I took the rest of the week off to recover. I'm sitting down today to revise my training plan. I'll only be running on grass, not the foot path / pavement to reduce the impact on my knees.

Very productive week on the home front as I managed to build a fence and do some landscaping. Does manual labor count as a workout? I felt like I'd had a workout by the end of each day.

I was wishing I'd kept a training journal of my tri preparation so during the week I copied every post I'd made this year into a document. It was interesting recapping my efforts and the discussions with other Turtles since January.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Rod
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 8, 2008
    author : pjwalzphd
    comments : 2
    When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
    author : scubachic9999
    comments : 4
    Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
    date : January 1, 2008
    author : agrace
    comments : 4
    I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
    date : September 26, 2004
    author : jhealy422
    For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
    author : Ron
    Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
    comments : 12
    This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.