BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-07-18 8:23 AM
in reply to: AkABuzz

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Just in case you guys have NOT seen this yet - it's Weird Al's latest (sorry for the commercial - so worth it!)

http://www.vevo.com/watch/USRV81400343?syndicationid=bb8a16ab-1279-...

2014-07-18 8:47 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I got a bike! Went back to the bike store, and ended up going with an entirely different bike than I had been looking at. They had a 2015 Specialized Allez Sport that looked great, and the manager really sold me on it. It's aluminum, but with a carbon fork, and the aluminum is upgraded this year, along with the seat, tires, wheels, pretty much everything. It rode great, fit great, and looked great, so it came home with me I took it for a 30ish mile ride yesterday and it felt great! It's my first time on a road bike in years, so it was a lot different, but it felt really responsive. When I sprinted, it really took off, and it definitely felt good over bumps in the road. I'm pumped to have something to ride to school, go on group rides, and not always have to sit in aero!

(14683727665_94fc9d1f68_z.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
14683727665_94fc9d1f68_z.jpg (151KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-18 9:13 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I got a bike! Went back to the bike store, and ended up going with an entirely different bike than I had been looking at. They had a 2015 Specialized Allez Sport that looked great, and the manager really sold me on it. It's aluminum, but with a carbon fork, and the aluminum is upgraded this year, along with the seat, tires, wheels, pretty much everything. It rode great, fit great, and looked great, so it came home with me I took it for a 30ish mile ride yesterday and it felt great! It's my first time on a road bike in years, so it was a lot different, but it felt really responsive. When I sprinted, it really took off, and it definitely felt good over bumps in the road. I'm pumped to have something to ride to school, go on group rides, and not always have to sit in aero!

CONGRATS! Love the color!

(lose the reflectors LOL)
2014-07-18 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randee, thanks for mentioning those reflectors! They bother me too, but I am going to be using this bike as a commuter at least a couple days a week, does everything think that a light in front and back will suffice? I want to be visible, but not look like an idiot
2014-07-18 9:24 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
ok so who wants to help me with nutrition? I'm planning for this Sunday (OLY) and my HIM in Sept.

In the past I've used Heed for hydration/calories but lately I've been riding with Skratch and I really like it so I was thinking about using that for Sunday. The taste is milder although with real sugar, if I spill any it gets sticky. I also use endurolytes on long rides for electrolytes and perpetuem for calories.

Weather is going to be unseasonably beautiful for July - low 80s and low humidity!

Bike setup: xlab torpedo up front: 26 ounces
Front water bottle cage

I'm 5'2" 127lbs - so based on strictly math, I should need between 230-340cals/hour (long course anyway)

So for Sunday:
Endurolytes and water before the start.

Would 270 cals (in 26 ounces of water) on the bike from perpetuem be too much?

then on the run I would carry skratch in my handheld? and I can stuff a gel in my pocket.

All the products have been tested in training but I haven't done this distance so I'm thinking I'll have too much rather than not enough.......

2014-07-18 9:30 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee, thanks for mentioning those reflectors! They bother me too, but I am going to be using this bike as a commuter at least a couple days a week, does everything think that a light in front and back will suffice? I want to be visible, but not look like an idiot

but a big light in the front (not a strobe those things give me seizures LOL).

and a planet bike light in the back! http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3070.html

How far is the commute? have friends who commute regularly and they also like to be lit up like a christmas tree! Maybe an obnoxious horn too! http://www.probikekit.com/cycling-accessories-nc/hornit-db140-elect...

2014-07-18 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-as mentioned earlier, my first road bike 5 years ago was a Specialized Allez, wish I had never sold it. I think you made an excellent choice. What are the components you ended up with? Cool color.

Randee-I can't comment on the specific brands but I can tell you my plan for oly distance. I will typically eat a gel maybe 15-20 minutes before I start just to top of the tank. On the bike I will have a bottle of nutrition between the aerobars and a bottle of water on the frame...the water is really a back up in case something happens to the nutrition bottle or if my stomach doesn't feel great.  I will start taking in fluid/nutrition as soon as I get settled on the bike and sip on it periodically through the bike segment. I try to stop drinking about 10 minutes before I finish so I won't have fluid sloshing around in my stomach. On the run I will carry 2 gels in my race belt. Depending on how I feel I will take one about 2 miles in or if I'm feeling good at the half way point. The 2nd gel is really just a back up. Only fluid I will take in is water on the run. On the run I use a "Spibelt" that has a small expandable pocket and toggles for the race number....very comfortable and plenty of room for gels and/or salt tabs.

Unless it is really hot don't overdo it with fluid/calories on the bike. You don't want to start the run feeling full. You can always take in water/gels on the run. Hope this helps.

Edited by slornow 2014-07-18 11:38 AM
2014-07-18 11:04 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow
>

Randee-I can't comment on the specific brands but I can tell you my plan for oly distance. I will typically eat a gel maybe 15-20 minutes before I start just to top of the tank. On the bike I will have a bottle of nutrition between the aerobars and a bottle of water on the frame...the water is really a back up in case something happens to the nutrition bottle or if my stomach doesn't feel great.  I will start taking in fluid/nutrition as soon as I get settled on the bike and sip on it periodically through the bike segment. I try to stop drinking about 10 minutes before I finish so I won't have fluid sloshing around in my stomach. On the run I will carry 2 gels in my race belt. Depending on how I feel I will take one about 2 miles in or if I'm feeling good at the half way point. The 2nd gel is really just a back up. Only fluid I will take in is water on the run. On the run I use a "Spibelt" that has a small expandle pocket and toggles for the race number....very comfortable and plenty of room for gels and/or salt tabs.

Unless it is really hot don't overdo it with fluid/calories on the bike. You don't want to start the run feeling full. You can always take in water/gels on the run. Hope this helps.

awesome, thanks! I'm going to back off on the amount of perpetuem and go half - that should work. And Yep, I plan to carry a backup of just water.

and HEY I have a spibelt too!!
2014-07-18 12:04 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Jamie...a new bike!!!! How exciting. I have bike envy.

Randee...can't offer you suggestions on nutrition. I've switched to Ucan, and eat pretzels and take salt tabs on the bike. Plus, my experience last year was a total failure trying to use gels and Infinit. You don't want my advice!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Had a lovely 10K run this morning. For some ridiculous reason, I've been unable to get my sorry azz out of bed early enough to get my morning workouts in before the sun is blazing. Almost every run in July has started around 10:30-11:00 a.m. Good grief it's hot then!!!! Anyhow, 6 miles, each within 10 seconds of one another pace wise, so I'm pretty pleased with the result. It was slow, but, meh, I'm getting over the fact that I run slow.

Summer is coming to an end for me. Teachers report back to school bright and early on Thursday, July 31st. Kiddos return on the 6th. Looks like my hot morning runs will become hot afternoon runs.

I mentioned that I started a program called PIYO 3 weeks ago. It's 6 days/week and is a pilates/yoga fusion. It's only 25-40 minutes per day, so it's fit into my BUSY summer teacher schedule nicely. I have to say, though, that I simply feel fitter in general, and miles 5 and 6 today actually felt strong. I don't think it's a coincidence. I've been told by many, many tri friends to work on my core strength, and that my running and swimming would improve. While I'm not faster, I feel much stronger, particularly at the end of my workouts. It's an 8 week program, so once I get to the end, I'll simply start over at week #5 and repeat.

On one of those "whatever else could happen medically to Nancy this summer" notes, I have noticed that my left leg (calf and ankle) are swollen. There's no pain whatsoever, it's just bigger than the right side. I noticed it when I was in down dog last week and looked at my feet (and thought..."Wow. Is my left leg swollen??"). I have a genetic condition called Factor V Leiden which raises my risk for DVT. I know the symptoms for DVT like the back of my hand, and other than the swelling, none of those symptoms have appeared. I'm hoping that since the chiropractor is straightening me out, my weak left side is just working a bit harder and getting stronger, and the swelling is related to that. If it doesn't subside soon, or if I notice heat or pain, I'll call my Dr. and get scheduled for a dopplar ultrasound.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-07-18 12:05 PM
2014-07-18 12:44 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

On one of those "whatever else could happen medically to Nancy this summer" notes, I have noticed that my left leg (calf and ankle) are swollen. There's no pain whatsoever, it's just bigger than the right side. I noticed it when I was in down dog last week and looked at my feet (and thought..."Wow. Is my left leg swollen??"). I have a genetic condition called Factor V Leiden which raises my risk for DVT. I know the symptoms for DVT like the back of my hand, and other than the swelling, none of those symptoms have appeared. I'm hoping that since the chiropractor is straightening me out, my weak left side is just working a bit harder and getting stronger, and the swelling is related to that. If it doesn't subside soon, or if I notice heat or pain, I'll call my Dr. and get scheduled for a dopplar ultrasound.

GET THE ULTRASOUND.

If nothing more than for piece of mind!
2014-07-18 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Jamie-as mentioned earlier, my first road bike 5 years ago was a Specialized Allez, wish I had never sold it. I think you made an excellent choice. What are the components you ended up with? Cool color.

Randee-I can't comment on the specific brands but I can tell you my plan for oly distance. I will typically eat a gel maybe 15-20 minutes before I start just to top of the tank. On the bike I will have a bottle of nutrition between the aerobars and a bottle of water on the frame...the water is really a back up in case something happens to the nutrition bottle or if my stomach doesn't feel great.  I will start taking in fluid/nutrition as soon as I get settled on the bike and sip on it periodically through the bike segment. I try to stop drinking about 10 minutes before I finish so I won't have fluid sloshing around in my stomach. On the run I will carry 2 gels in my race belt. Depending on how I feel I will take one about 2 miles in or if I'm feeling good at the half way point. The 2nd gel is really just a back up. Only fluid I will take in is water on the run. On the run I use a "Spibelt" that has a small expandable pocket and toggles for the race number....very comfortable and plenty of room for gels and/or salt tabs.

I second this. With an Olympic distance, I'd rather not start the run feeling bloated and full, so I go with 1 bottle of drink (whatever you prefer) and one of water. Then, I make sure to hit every aid station on the run and drink sports drink/coke (if available); I usually only get water to dump it on my head.

My bike commute is about 8 miles each way, and we're in the suburbs, so there isn't super-heavy traffic, but it's there. I think I'll go with the lights; school starts in August, so I have a little while to get it outfitted for the commute. As far as components go, it's outfitted with Sora, and the manager at the bike shop said that they shift better than his older 105's. Of course, I wouldn't know the difference, so it was an easy sell for me

2014-07-18 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I got my long run in this morning, now I'm getting packed for a lake weekend-be back on Sunday. The run was good, nice and cool in the rain, but my legs just feel trashed from these last few weeks! I'm definitely ready for two full days off before getting back to training on Monday. I'm going to need keep something in the tank for Chattanooga next weekend; we're planning on around 100m for the ride and between 15-20 for the run. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
2014-07-18 4:54 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by glfprncs

GET THE ULTRASOUND.

If nothing more than for piece of mind!

I'm with Randee on this one. If I had Factor V and noticed unilateral swelling I would be at the doctor, yesterday. No down side to being careful.
2014-07-18 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jamie nice ride!!!

So I take off for a one hour ride and I am thinking I need to ask the group about tires. I have about 3000 miles on the Continental Race tires that came with the bike and with a tentative race next month should I be looking at replacing my tires. Well I know when the tires are going to give out. 50 minutes into a 60 minute ride today!

So I am in the market for a new set of tires. What is a reasonably priced tire that will hold up but still be decent to race on? As much as I would love to have a training tire and race tire with all the work I missed last year with my accident, that's not in the cards, or credit cards if you will.

So, any good suggestions?

Thanks,
2014-07-18 5:04 PM

Biker was victim of a hit and run in the next town over.
The comments on the local news FaceBook page are appalling. Nobody knows biker rights.

There are very few areas with bike lanes here, but most drivers think the shoulder is the bike lane.
2014-07-18 5:43 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire

Nice ride Jamie! My road bike is an older model Specialized Sequoia and that thing is bulletproof compared to my tri bike which seems to be a finicky little .....

2014-07-18 7:47 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Originally posted by Stuartap

Jamie nice ride!!!

So I take off for a one hour ride and I am thinking I need to ask the group about tires. I have about 3000 miles on the Continental Race tires that came with the bike and with a tentative race next month should I be looking at replacing my tires. Well I know when the tires are going to give out. 50 minutes into a 60 minute ride today!

So I am in the market for a new set of tires. What is a reasonably priced tire that will hold up but still be decent to race on? As much as I would love to have a training tire and race tire with all the work I missed last year with my accident, that's not in the cards, or credit cards if you will.

So, any good suggestions?

Thanks,

Stuart, I don't claim to know anything about tires, but I put Continental Grand Prix 4000S tires on my bike for Augusta 70.3 last fall, and they're still there!! I think Randy suggested them to me last year, and he rides them on his rollers as well as on the road. I think Jason rides a Vittoria tire.
2014-07-18 8:31 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama
Stuart-Nancy is right. Continental 4000s is hard to beat. My training and race tire. There may be some out there that are a little faster but hard to beat the combination of low rolling resistance and durability.
2014-07-18 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks Nancy & Randy. As I read more that seems to be one of the favorites. Two other quick questions:

1. If I buy them online I can get them for a much better price but then I am down for several days. A local bike chain has 'Duro Ride Your Cause Tire' for only $15. Can't really find much on the tire. Are the good enough to throw on the bike for a week and then keep them for emergencies?

2. There was a debate at my LBS on 23 v 25 size. One of the guys, a pretty big guy if that matters, likes 25 on both or 25 on back and 23 on front. Says he gets a better/faster ride. The other says he's nuts. What size do you guys ride on?

Thanks,
2014-07-18 9:51 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I do ride on Vittoria Evo Open Triathlon tires. I like them a lot.

I have a set of Continental GP 4000S in the box waiting to go on when I wear out this set. Everybody swears by these tires for both their low rolling resistance, aero properties and durability. They can be had for cheap (relatively) now too.

I ride 23 mm front and back but I have heard stories about bigger folks liking 25s. I would likely just order 23 for front and back.

I can't help you on the $15 tire available in your LBS. Just no idea. Always nice to have an extra set of tubes and tires laying around.
2014-07-19 6:10 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama
Stuart. The 25's could be too wide. Depends on your frame and clearance. Doubt you would notice any difference going with the 23s. May want to try running them at different pressures to see how they feel.

2014-07-19 8:23 AM

Subject: Weekend "Racing"
I'm in Chicago for a family reunion and will be running in the Rock and Roll 5K with my family tomorrow. Unless everyone chickens out, then I'll do the half marathon. We shall see...

Either way, Running on the shores of Lake Michigan on this chili July weekend will be my training. I may hit the pool, but it is a typical hotel pool, maybe 10 x 15 yards.
2014-07-19 1:42 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

ok so who wants to help me with nutrition? I'm planning for this Sunday (OLY) and my HIM in Sept.

In the past I've used Heed for hydration/calories but lately I've been riding with Skratch and I really like it so I was thinking about using that for Sunday. The taste is milder although with real sugar, if I spill any it gets sticky. I also use endurolytes on long rides for electrolytes and perpetuem for calories.

Weather is going to be unseasonably beautiful for July - low 80s and low humidity!

Bike setup: xlab torpedo up front: 26 ounces
Front water bottle cage

I'm 5'2" 127lbs - so based on strictly math, I should need between 230-340cals/hour (long course anyway)

So for Sunday:
Endurolytes and water before the start.

Would 270 cals (in 26 ounces of water) on the bike from perpetuem be too much?

then on the run I would carry skratch in my handheld? and I can stuff a gel in my pocket.

All the products have been tested in training but I haven't done this distance so I'm thinking I'll have too much rather than not enough.......

Randee,

I think you are right on for calories. You have heard my 4-6 calories per kg per hour while on the bike mantra. I think 270 calories will be just fine for your Olympic bike ride.

How long do you project that you will be on the bike? If it is anything much more than an hour, consuming 26 ounces with 270 total calories sounds pretty good to me. You probably don't need that much fuel but I don't think it will hurt you either and it will have you tanked up for the run. If it is hot (and 80 is pretty hot as far as I'm concerned) you may want just a little water to supplement.

I would try to be pretty much finished with whatever you are going to take in with 10-15 minutes left until T2. That gives your stomach a short while to empty before it starts bouncing around on the run. Sips in the last 10-15 are fine but not too much volume.

When I get to the run I don't really want too much. I just pour in as much water as I can tolerate whenever it is offered. If there is coke, I take that too.

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-07-19 1:45 PM
2014-07-19 1:44 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Jamie,

Congratulations on your new ride. I don't think you will be sorry that you got this.

The geometry/frame shape of this looks eerily similar to my Specialized Crux Cyclocross bike. I love it. It rides so nice, My plan is to put slicks on it and use it as a road bike if the need ever arises.
2014-07-19 8:29 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Cheered on friends at a local tri this morning, then hit the pool after. Lots of drills and swam with fists for the first time (didn't have tennis balls, Stuart). Interesting feedback.

Generally, I feel my swim stroke on my right side is stronger. NOT so with my hands in fists! Left arm pull is much more powerful. I found that if I focused on rotating my shoulder and having the thumb down (as Stuart has suggested many times) when the hand entered the water, I was able to even out that weak right side.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19474 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.