BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-09-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Breaking news from my neck of the woods: I am scheduled to have surgery on an inguinal hernia next tuesday. My wife doesn't even know yet But she will soon. (sorry if this is too much information about my groinal region for the group.....)

I have suspected that I had a small hernia for the last 18 months or so. I even got checked about a year ago but the doc couldn't find it and sent me away. Recently it got acutely more uncomfortable and became obvious that I truly had a hernia. Subsequently I scheduled the surgery for December but it seems to be getting bigger rather quickly and the decision has been made to not wait three more months.

I am still going to 70.3 WC this weekend and planning on racing, then two days later getting the surgery. It is outpatient surgery and shouldn't be too big of a deal. I will likely have to take two to three weeks totally off from training. This leaves IMAZ somewhat up in the air. It could be terrible because of lost fitness and lost training or it could be the best thing that ever happened to me to get a couple weeks of rest before the last push to AZ. I may even have to not race and just take a nice vacation to Arizona in November. No matter what, the surgery is going to happen and the chips will fall where they fall.

2014-09-02 10:24 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-hope you bounce back quickly from the surgery.  How you feeling heading into the race this weekend?

2014-09-02 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason, sorry to hear that you had to bump the surgery up! Hopefully, it'll turn out like you say: you'll bounce back and feel better, then get a couple weeks rest going into IMAZ. How are you feeling for this weekend's race?
2014-09-02 10:42 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I feel pretty crummy right now.....which I take as a good sign. I shouldn't feel good until Friday afternoon/Saturday morning.

I have to admit that the level of competition at this race has me going in with a different mindset. Lately I have been trying to compete to get in the top 10 in my AG or top 5% overall but with this race I am just shooting to be in the top half. I would like to have a good race, enjoy myself, and feel good enough to go enjoy dinner that evening with my wife. I want this to be a fun trip.

On the positive news front; a local guy is driving to the race and has room to take my bike. This means I won't be lugging my bike through the airport, trying to avoid bike fees and reassembling the bike in Canada. I am going to slip him $150 for gas money and still feel like I'm coming out ahead on the deal.
2014-09-02 2:48 PM
in reply to: #5045805

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Jason, here's to a great weekend, a successful surgery & recovery, and to a little bit of rest.
2014-09-02 5:46 PM
in reply to: #5046091

User image

In honor of staying home sick from work for the first time in 10 years, I slept & bought new Continental Grand Prix 4000S II tires (and tubes). Sometimes it's the little things...

2014-09-02 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Sorry I have been MIA the past few days. A local charity does a used bike drive collecting unused bikes for deserving kids. So I bought an abused Schwinn 10 speed woman's mountain bike off craigslist for $10 and decided to strip it down and rebuild it. Cleaned it all up, knocked off the rust, replaced the cables etc. it looks pretty good if I do say so myself. I will finish it up today and drop it off this weekend.

Jason the surgery will be a breeze. I had a double hernia operation a few years ago. I was up and about the next day. Just don't rush back. Heal all the way and then hit it anew.

I finally went through all the stuff in my swag bag from the race a week ago. In it was a card for a discount from Rudy Project for 25% off helmets and sunglasses (including Rx glasses). If anyone is in need the discount code is: eventsrock. Help yourself.

2014-09-02 7:35 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Thanks for all of the well wishes. I am pretty comfortable with the plan of action. Stuart, good to hear about your positive experience. Someone today took the time to tell me about how they were in agony for three weeks after their hernia surgery. Ummm....thanks. I guess.

Rudy Project is another company kind of like Xterra, their stuff is always on sale. If you don't manage to get at least 40% off on most of their products you have likely paid too much. It is definitely high quality. I have two helmets and several pairs of glasses but I think I paid about 50% of their retail price for most of them.
2014-09-04 7:01 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Thanks for all of the well wishes. I am pretty comfortable with the plan of action. Stuart, good to hear about your positive experience. Someone today took the time to tell me about how they were in agony for three weeks after their hernia surgery. Ummm....thanks. I guess.

Rudy Project is another company kind of like Xterra, their stuff is always on sale. If you don't manage to get at least 40% off on most of their products you have likely paid too much. It is definitely high quality. I have two helmets and several pairs of glasses but I think I paid about 50% of their retail price for most of them.

Good luck Jason! Better to get it over with sooner vs later. I'm sure you still rock IMAZ
2014-09-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

So, I know Jason is racing this weekend and I think Randee has a race as well. Randee is this HIM weekend? Anyone else?

I'm doing a super sprint. 300 swim/10 mile bike/2 mile run. It is at the Gulf and there is an olympic race as well. My race should be done by the time most folks are finishing up the oly swim. Most of the stronger racers will be doing the oly so I'm looking forward to being done and enjoying a few refreshments while watching my team mates suffer with a 10k run in the heat on a black top road with no shade. I'll catch alot of grief for doing the short race from the guys on my team but given my recent hamstring issues and some waning motivation I think its the right choice for me.  

2014-09-04 10:40 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

So, I know Jason is racing this weekend and I think Randee has a race as well. Randee is this HIM weekend? Anyone else?

I'm doing a super sprint. 300 swim/10 mile bike/2 mile run. It is at the Gulf and there is an olympic race as well. My race should be done by the time most folks are finishing up the oly swim. Most of the stronger racers will be doing the oly so I'm looking forward to being done and enjoying a few refreshments while watching my team mates suffer with a 10k run in the heat on a black top road with no shade. I'll catch alot of grief for doing the short race from the guys on my team but given my recent hamstring issues and some waning motivation I think its the right choice for me.  

YEP

2014-09-04 12:09 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

YEP

How you feeling?

2014-09-04 12:36 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

YEP

How you feeling?

nervous.

HEH.
2014-09-04 3:24 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

YEP

How you feeling?

nervous. HEH.

Your training looks good. You will have a great race. Conserving energy with your response....very wise.

2014-09-05 6:30 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

YEP

How you feeling?

nervous. HEH.

Your training looks good. You will have a great race. Conserving energy with your response....very wise.

I've been really busy at work this week - which is good because it keeps me from sitting around thinking about Sunday

Weather forecast: Saturday night THUNDERSTORMS but Sunday looks like sunny and low 70s, low humidity. **fingerscrossed**

Thanks
2014-09-05 3:48 PM

User image

Randee...you're going to rock it!

Randy, good luck in your race, too.

Jason...may the wind be at your back the whole way.

I did my first 'workout' in 8 days today, a 35 minutes Pilates/Yoga fusion. Am now trying to cough up my left lung. It's settling back down, but clearly I need a bit more time and some 'easy' stuff. It was really nice to get a good sweat on that was caused by a fever.

2014-09-06 1:05 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

Jeez, hope everyone heals up quickly.

HM today finished 1:47, 2 minutes faster than last year.
Ran my guts out on the hilly course.
I was aiming for 1:45 but it was frikkin humid as all this morning.
59th OA 9th AG. Not sure how many runners, but I know they capped the 5K/HM at 1000.

Now I have to help my B-I-L move.
2014-09-06 2:31 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
All settled here in MT. Everyone looks so fast here. Should be interesting tomorrow.

Ran yesterday and felt good doing it. Swam and biked today. Bike and bags are dropped off at transition.

Hopefully I am able to turn in a worthy performance.

They ran out of the only t shirt that looked worth buying so I got out of the expo pretty cheap. Life is good

Good luck Randee and Randy.
2014-09-06 5:22 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by skibummer Jeez, hope everyone heals up quickly. HM today finished 1:47, 2 minutes faster than last year. Ran my guts out on the hilly course. I was aiming for 1:45 but it was frikkin humid as all this morning. 59th OA 9th AG. Not sure how many runners, but I know they capped the 5K/HM at 1000. Now I have to help my B-I-L move.

Great job!

2014-09-06 5:29 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-hope you have a great race. No reason not to leave it all out there......if you over do it they can fix it Tuesday. Looking forward to following you and a few others tomorrow.

Randee-good luck. Hope all goes well.

Got the super sprint done this morning. There was also an olympic race and the fast guys were racing it. In the absence of the fast guys I got my first overall win. Coolest thing about it was getting to ride behind the motorcycle for most of the bike leg......kept wondering if I had to stay off to the side and back a bit from him to avoid a drafting penalty. I realized today that I think about a bunch of crazy @#$% when I'm racing. It was fun and most importantly short.  

2014-09-06 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randee- Good luck, I hope the weather holds!
Randy-1st OA would be something pretty special, good job! Being concerned about drafting off the lead vehicle is a problem I don't think I'll ever have to worry about...

Today was a big day for me: last long bike ride before IMCHOO! I technically have a couple more longish rides during the next two taper weeks, but they're not as tough as I've had lately. I got in right at 109 miles today on the bike, and I was with a group of fast riders, so I got it done much faster than planned, just under 19 1/2 mph. That's a speed I definitely didn't think I had in me for a century ride. Granted, I was pretty wiped out by the end of it, but I have absolutely no intention of trying to hold that kind of speed in the race. So, as long as I can survive tomorrow's long run, I will have successfully completed peak training. Phew!

Jason-any new update(s) on the health front?

2014-09-06 8:37 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Jason-hope you have a great race. No reason not to leave it all out there......if you over do it they can fix it Tuesday. Looking forward to following you and a few others tomorrow.

Randee-good luck. Hope all goes well.

Got the super sprint done this morning. There was also an olympic race and the fast guys were racing it. In the absence of the fast guys I got my first overall win. Coolest thing about it was getting to ride behind the motorcycle for most of the bike leg......kept wondering if I had to stay off to the side and back a bit from him to avoid a drafting penalty. I realized today that I think about a bunch of crazy @#$% when I'm racing. It was fun and most importantly short.  

Awesome!
2014-09-07 6:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Does anyone know Jason's number? Never mind...found his last name, Adams. He's bib # 1086

Which 70.3 is Randee doing today? I'd like to track her, too.

Can't wait to hear all about both his race and Randee's!!!

Randy...awesome work on the 1st OA! And interesting perspective about being the lead rider. I had a friend who raced the full iron distance at Cedar Point last year, and he was the lead rider for most of the bike. His dilemma is that he had to pee, but didn't want to get anything on the police cars that were both in front of and behind him.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-09-07 6:53 AM
2014-09-07 7:06 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Go Jason!
2014-09-07 11:00 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason is 3:17 off the bike. He usually runs strong so lets hope he lays down a good time. Nice work so far.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19338 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.