BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-09-07 12:14 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Jason is just about done with the run, and his run is both insanely fast and consistent! Keep it up, Jason!

2014-09-07 1:50 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason crushes the run for a 4:51. Fantastic! Way to go Jason.

2014-09-07 4:40 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I had a very nice race. Best HIM swim this year (but, boy was it rough out there - lots of contact). Good ride. Very controlled run. I felt like maybe I could have gone just a little bit harder on the run but it went well. I'm never satisfied but it really was a good race overall for me. I can barely move now so I must have been going fairly hard.

On other fronts, if there was any doubt that I need this surgery on Tuesday thus race cured that. I am quite uncomfortable and can't imagine how much worse it would be after a full IM.

How did Randee do? Any updates?
2014-09-07 5:34 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I had a very nice race. Best HIM swim this year (but, boy was it rough out there - lots of contact). Good ride. Very controlled run. I felt like maybe I could have gone just a little bit harder on the run but it went well. I'm never satisfied but it really was a good race overall for me. I can barely move now so I must have been going fairly hard.

On other fronts, if there was any doubt that I need this surgery on Tuesday thus race cured that. I am quite uncomfortable and can't imagine how much worse it would be after a full IM.

How did Randee do? Any updates?

Randee finished 6:13 for her first 70.3 and is psyched. Good swim, great bike and decent run all things considered.

Managed to keep the first 38 bike miles in check and not cook myself! Then I flew for the last 15! Oh yeah!!
2014-09-07 5:37 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Congratulations to Jason & Randee! Those are some impressive times! Jason, good job on your best swim in a HIM, but that run was killer! Randee, that's a great time for a first HIM; put your feet up for awhile! This group kicked some butt this weekend!
2014-09-07 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Nice weekend everyone! Great efforts from everyone.

2014-09-07 7:36 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason and Randee-super work.

Jason-don't rush to get back at it after Tuesday. Get plenty of rest.....doctor's orders.

Randee-that is an awesome time for a first HIM.....you should be psyched!

2014-09-08 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Guess what, everyone??? Today is the first day of TAPER!!! It's interesting to think that what I've done is all I can do, a little scary too. Fortunately, I've trained hard and well enough that I'm feeling readier than ever for my race at the end of the month, and, very fortunately, I had my best long ride and long run ever this last weekend. It's a good thing, too, because I couldn't have handled another week of peak training! Let's hope I did enough!!!

How's everyone else's week look?
2014-09-08 8:45 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Guess what, everyone??? Today is the first day of TAPER!!! It's interesting to think that what I've done is all I can do, a little scary too. Fortunately, I've trained hard and well enough that I'm feeling readier than ever for my race at the end of the month, and, very fortunately, I had my best long ride and long run ever this last weekend. It's a good thing, too, because I couldn't have handled another week of peak training! Let's hope I did enough!!!

How's everyone else's week look?

LOOKOUT Jamie's tapering!!! You're ready!

my week looks EASY lol.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, inspires and well wishes. We took today off so I was off the grid for another day. Tomorrow it's back to reality and of course tonight I can't sleep I'll go finish up my race report......
2014-09-09 5:16 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Home from surgery. It went incredibly well.

If I thought I was sore before......I'm really sore now.

There will be no rushing back to training.
2014-09-09 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Glad to hear it went well! Enjoy the time off, although I'm sure it's not a great feeling...Anything on netflix you can catch up on???

2014-09-09 6:24 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster Home from surgery. It went incredibly well. If I thought I was sore before......I'm really sore now. There will be no rushing back to training.
Glad to hear it went well! Enjoy the time off, although I'm sure it's not a great feeling...Anything on netflix you can catch up on???

Glad things went well.....recover!

True Detective was good on Netflix. Let us know if you need any other suggestions.

Nancy-how you feeling? You get over the crud?

Randee-physically how you feeling? I'm sure you are still psyched with your race.

Jamie-no taperitis for you....you are a veteran. No way you will get anxious....right

2014-09-09 7:12 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I was thinking about you today! Glad it's over - rest up

I'm feeling great today - not sore anymore. But feeling lazy and blew off my 2 mile run (I'll do it tomorrow). I didn't sleep great last night so hopefully tonight will be better. WHEEEEEEEEE
2014-09-10 4:59 PM
in reply to: #5047677

User image

Well...I don't feel like total crap, but I still have this stupid cough that is worse at night & when I do anything beyond walking the dogs. Not sure if I need to just get my heart rate up & try to work my lungs more or give them more time to get over it. I'm still on antibiotc, claritin & mucinex.

Was hoping for a last long run this weekend, but the goal may be to just be healthy by the 28th & know I'll be pretty underprepared.

That enterovirus has put some local kids in the hospital, so I may just wrap myself in a bubble.
2014-09-11 6:27 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nice job Randee. Very, very nice performance. Once you get that first long course race behind you it seems to make everything easier (in my experience).

Jamie, congratulations on making it to taper. It is such a great feeling to know that the hay is in the barn and you are ready to race.....

Nancy, sorry to hear that you are still infected with the crud. I hope you feel much better soon.

I was really sore yesterday. I am significantly better today. Came back to work today (no narcotics since yesterday morning--so I'm good ) It is interesting how much better the rest of my body is feeling. I have been battling some plantar fasciitis for at least a month now that seems to be clearing up with the rest (or the pain killers.....). My left knee pain is improving dramatically. Overall, I feel pretty great....except for the incision on my abdomen. This enforced break may be exactly what I needed to get all of the way healthy so I can push through to IMAZ. Although, I have accepted the possibility that it may not happen if I don't heal up quickly enough. I don't want to rush back and need a second surgery. The stories of that happening are pretty numerous so I will be extra cautious.

Anyone starting to think about next season yet? Obviously I hope I still have another race this season to deal with....... I haven't done one thing about next season. I want my schedule to look more like Randy's next year; a lot of sprints and Olympics with maybe one or two 70.3s thrown in. No full IM next year. I will just have to follow Jamie's training and live vicariously through him . Next year I would like to race at AG nationals in Wisconsin. It just didn't fit in to the travel schedule this year but next year I am going to try to make it happen. Everything else is still up in the air. It seems like the IM branded races have reached saturation so I have a little more time to think about what I want to do before signing up.
2014-09-11 8:44 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Nice job Randee. Very, very nice performance. Once you get that first long course race behind you it seems to make everything easier (in my experience).

Jamie, congratulations on making it to taper. It is such a great feeling to know that the hay is in the barn and you are ready to race.....

Nancy, sorry to hear that you are still infected with the crud. I hope you feel much better soon.

I was really sore yesterday. I am significantly better today. Came back to work today (no narcotics since yesterday morning--so I'm good ) It is interesting how much better the rest of my body is feeling. I have been battling some plantar fasciitis for at least a month now that seems to be clearing up with the rest (or the pain killers.....). My left knee pain is improving dramatically. Overall, I feel pretty great....except for the incision on my abdomen. This enforced break may be exactly what I needed to get all of the way healthy so I can push through to IMAZ. Although, I have accepted the possibility that it may not happen if I don't heal up quickly enough. I don't want to rush back and need a second surgery. The stories of that happening are pretty numerous so I will be extra cautious.

Anyone starting to think about next season yet? Obviously I hope I still have another race this season to deal with....... I haven't done one thing about next season. I want my schedule to look more like Randy's next year; a lot of sprints and Olympics with maybe one or two 70.3s thrown in. No full IM next year. I will just have to follow Jamie's training and live vicariously through him . Next year I would like to race at AG nationals in Wisconsin. It just didn't fit in to the travel schedule this year but next year I am going to try to make it happen. Everything else is still up in the air. It seems like the IM branded races have reached saturation so I have a little more time to think about what I want to do before signing up.

Glad you are back in action!!

Funny you mention 2015 - we are planning it right now and I'll share my first world problems with you.

So I'm registered for IMMT 8/16/15

I want to do a half in June - there are 3:
1. Patriot - it's the one I did last year as a relay and I'd like to do it solo. Super flat course and would require an overnight stay in MA
2. Rev3 Quassy - it's close to home and it's hilly. I would probably be better off doing a hily course in prep for Mont Tremblant
3. Mont Tremblant 70.3 - right now the only oeneings are foudnation entries. One of the charities is Chron's and Colitis. Coincidentally, my cousin and his father both have Chron's and I'm doing these events with my other cousin (his sister). The downside - the $3,000 in fundraising each! Oh and travel to Canada

thoughts?

2014-09-11 9:38 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Funny you mention 2015 - we are planning it right now and I'll share my first world problems with you.

1. Patriot - it's the one I did last year as a relay and I'd like to do it solo. Super flat course and would require an overnight stay in MA
2. Rev3 Quassy - it's close to home and it's hilly. I would probably be better off doing a hily course in prep for Mont Tremblant
3. Mont Tremblant 70.3 - right now the only oeneings are foudnation entries. One of the charities is Chron's and Colitis. Coincidentally, my cousin and his father both have Chron's and I'm doing these events with my other cousin (his sister). The downside - the $3,000 in fundraising each! Oh and travel to Canada

thoughts?

If it were me, I would do the Rev 3 Quassy for multiple reasons. Cost. Convenience. Ease of travel. Desire to support the Rev3/Challenge franchise. Recovery afterwards would be easier if you didn't need to travel a long way home. The only reason I would travel to Tremblant for the 70.3 would be if I really, really wanted to preview the course. Otherwise, in my humble opinion, it would be a lot of work to travel all of the way to Canada for a race eight weeks before my IM (says the guy who just travelled all of the way to Canada to do a race nine weeks before his IM....)
2014-09-11 9:49 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

thoughts?

If it were me, I would do the Rev 3 Quassy for multiple reasons. Cost. Convenience. Ease of travel. Desire to support the Rev3/Challenge franchise. Recovery afterwards would be easier if you didn't need to travel a long way home. The only reason I would travel to Tremblant for the 70.3 would be if I really, really wanted to preview the course. Otherwise, in my humble opinion, it would be a lot of work to travel all of the way to Canada for a race eight weeks before my IM (says the guy who just travelled all of the way to Canada to do a race nine weeks before his IM....)

I'm leaning that way.....
2014-09-11 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by wannabefaster Home from surgery. It went incredibly well. If I thought I was sore before......I'm really sore now. There will be no rushing back to training.

Glad things went well.....recover!

True Detective was good on Netflix. Let us know if you need any other suggestions.

Nancy-how you feeling? You get over the crud?

Randee-physically how you feeling? I'm sure you are still psyched with your race.

Jamie-no taperitis for you....you are a veteran. No way you will get anxious....right

Nope, no taperitis for me! I mean, other than being afraid that I lost all my fitness the day after my last long run, and what's that small pain in my foot, and am I swimming enough, and have I gained a pound, and what if I'm not biking fast/hard/long enough, and shouldn't I just do a little bit of a longer workout because it's better to be safe than sorry, and should I be eating more veggies, or is that too much fiber, and have I forgotten anything that I need to have ready for the race? I mean, other than that kind of stuff, I'm not anxious at all.
2014-09-11 9:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

thoughts?

I'm leaning that way.....

Yeah, I'm really hoping that the Rev3/Challenge partnership can challenge WTC. I have really loved the Ironman events that I have done, but I think that competition is always better, and it would be nice for them to have someone to compete against. I also agree about the recovery afterwards, since the travel isn't as significant.
2014-09-11 7:36 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-glad you are recovering quickly. I'm leaning toward doing AG Nats again next year. Roll downs for Chicago will continue through early Summer so unless I get a Chicago spot I will likely travel to Milwaukee. It is a great venue and the races are awesome. Hopefully, we can meet up there. Rene and I already scouted some of the better beer drinking venues

Jamie-Funny!

Nothing too exciting here. One more race on the schedule in early October then I guess I will need to start figuring out what I'll do next year. Short course focus again with maybe a HIM in April or May.

Anyone racing this weekend?

2014-09-12 3:49 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ok. It was nice to do nothing for a few days but I'm starting to get a little cabin fever. Went out and walked laps around the mall today with all of the old ladies. Starting to give my bike longing glances on the trainer. I might try to jump in the pool for 30-45 minutes tomorrow to see how that feels.

I don't think I am cut out to sit around for this long. I think that is a good thing.
2014-09-12 7:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

So...I'm installing my new Conti Grand Prix 4000SII tires on my bike tonight. Just finished the rear (the first one I've done) and realized that the arrow for tire rotation is going the wrong way. (Insert 4-letter expletive here). Does it really matter or do I really have to take it off and put it back on the other way?

Edited by glfprncs 2014-09-12 7:07 PM
2014-09-12 7:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Sorry guys for being MIA. Crazy busy week. Only rode 1 day and two short swims in 8 days. Uggggh.

Jason glad everything went well and you are back on the mend. The pool should be fine but done push off the wall with all you've got. Let everything heal properly.

BTW - when you asked about next season I was thinking; Is this one over? I am still hoping to get a late event in, maybe Nov. Here on the left coast things like that are still possible.

I do have one fun thing tomorrow. I am riding again with my doctor. Not sure I am still up to his speed but 20# lighter and almost 2 mph faster than when we rode in June.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
2014-09-12 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Well...had time so I took the tire back off & flipped it the right way. Fought the chain putting it back on, did the front & in looking at the directional arrow, realized I'd had the rear on correctly the first time. NOW it was backwards. 4 tire changes later, I'm ready to ride. I feel like an expert at tire changing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19330 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.