BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-10-07 4:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED

Jason, the exact same thing happened to me at IMTX11 with Infinit. I ran out of my custom formula a few weeks before the IM. Ordered more formula assuming it would be the same as what I'd been training with. It wasn't and I ended up having a horrible race which started with vomiting at mile 4 of the run and ended up in the medical tent. Michael at Infinit was very responsive after the race when I contacted him about what had happened. He was able to look up the formula and see that I had been sent out the wrong one. Although I no longer use Infinit they have an excellent product with great customer service.

Glad you were able to get your UCAN switched out. Which reminds me it is probably time to order another batch of UCAN for the rest of training and race day.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-10-07 4:48 PM

2014-10-07 8:25 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Jason...if you're referring to Ucan, I've found that the sweetener is different in 3 of the flavors. Main reason I chose the orange...has a sweetener that doesn't make me gag.

Interesting turn of events in the Schwertfeger household this week. After my husband's 12 hours in the ER, it appears that at the age of 40, he may finally be realizing that some of his bad habits may need to go. He's cut his cigarette smoking in half (down from 9-10 cigarettes a day to 4 or 5) and asked that I schedule an appointment with a nutritionist.

I'm hoping and praying that if he hears the things I've been saying for the past 4 years from someone he's not married to, he'll buy into it!
2014-10-08 8:02 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

Jason...if you're referring to Ucan, I've found that the sweetener is different in 3 of the flavors. Main reason I chose the orange...has a sweetener that doesn't make me gag.

Interesting turn of events in the Schwertfeger household this week. After my husband's 12 hours in the ER, it appears that at the age of 40, he may finally be realizing that some of his bad habits may need to go. He's cut his cigarette smoking in half (down from 9-10 cigarettes a day to 4 or 5) and asked that I schedule an appointment with a nutritionist.

I'm hoping and praying that if he hears the things I've been saying for the past 4 years from someone he's not married to, he'll buy into it!

Great news about your husband getting the message.

I have stopped telling patients to quit smoking. Instead, I tell them that smokers are a doctors best friend....that all of the health maladies that smokers bring upon themselves are how doctors pay for their kids to go to college and for their fancy little sports cars. Most laugh, uncomfortably. Some get mad. I figure that everyone has heard the "quit smoking" lecture. Very few have heard the "smoke more...." discussion. Makes a different impression.

Unfortunately, no amount of smoking, even 3-4 per day, is ok. Keep on him and help him turn the corner to improve his health.

(hope the above wasn't too harsh)
2014-10-08 2:52 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason-Glad you were able to get the UCAN situation worked out! Can't do much without the right nutrition; that's definitely a lesson I've learned the hard way!
Nancy-That's got to be a tough situation to deal with! It's amazing how addictive those things can be, and what it can take to kick them. I'm glad I've never developed the habit. Good luck getting him to quit!

I'm enjoying my post-IM time! I ran a couple days ago, and the legs were definitely still tired! I also rode my bike to and from school today, which felt pretty good. And there will be no training for me this weekend; I'm taking some students from my school hiking in the Smokies for Fall Break. It's going to feel good to be active without the obligation to be "training". Good times! I hate that I'm missing the Kona live broadcast this weekend. I'm calling Carfrae again for the ladies, she's just too fast on the run. As far as the guys go, it seems really wide open. I'm less cure about the men, it seems like a pretty wide open field, maybe Kienle if he can put all three disciplines together. Anyone want to go on record with some picks?
2014-10-08 7:52 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Hi guys, thought I would drop in and read through the group goings on. Wow you guys have REALLY rocked some races!! Very impressive stuff.
It is great to see the results of your training showing.
You guys put in some solid tough training!

The weather is really nice right now in Memphis and I am enjoying some cool weather running before cold weather running!

I started streaking....... up to 38 days right now nothing crazy I do the minimum some days.

Doing my second full on Nov 1. I did one sprint this summer, otherwise I have really been focused on running and cycling. I am supposed to do a century this Sat but with an 80% chance of rain it is looking doubtful.

Nice to see the posts and check in!

Take care,
Mary
2014-10-08 8:06 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-hope that hubby can kick the habit.

Mary-thanks for checking in. Great to see that you are still crushing it. Awesome job on the running streak. 

2014-10-09 10:23 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Jamie I'm going with Rinny too!!
and I'm going with O'Donnell for the men because I want to see USA win!

Mary - nice to see you again!!

my tower of terror RR is up - very exciting stuff - well maybe not but my costume is worth a looksee!
(my cousin made it out of wicking material)
2014-10-09 7:46 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee- I'm with you on the picks. Would be great to see ODonnell or Potts have a good race. I'd also like to see Craig Alexander do well. The mens side seems to be a toss up. 

2014-10-10 3:42 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I have been checking in almost every day but not a lot to add to the conversation so I have been quiet.

Today I did a 45 mile ride, the longest since my accident. What was interesting was the two guys I rode with. I met Regan on the road a week ago. We have been on a few rides. Then on Monday I met Steve at a community ride cosponsored by Specialized and the City.

What made it unique was the three of us are all totally different.

Regan in his late 40's is 6'1" and 255#. He has put on 35# while taking Prednisone in advance of colon surgery next month. A very strong rider but the weight is killing him on the hill climbs.

Steve is the exact opposite. Age 65, 5'8" and 115#. No that is not a typo. He has the most riding experience, has great stamina and is easily the most technically proficient rider. Great on short hills but not enough power to climb long ones and not enough weight on the downhills to keep up with us big guys.

The route we took and a lot of hills so we were constantly separating and coming back together as the terrain changed. I am learning a few things just having someone else to watch, especially on the hills.

Anyway, a long ride but fun. Now I need a nap!
2014-10-10 4:13 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nine hours in the saddle (on the trainer) in the last five days. Four to five more planned for tomorrow. I am trying to make up for lost time apparently.

For the first time since my surgery I am starting to think that I might be able to hit the start line next month in some semblance of race shape. Still five weeks to mess things up or sharpen my fitness but today I feel good. Of course, tomorrow I might crash and burn. The ups and downs of long course triathlon training........

If any of you are interested, the guy who won the AG overall at IMChattanooga posted a link to his race report on ST. I like to read the race reports of really fast Age Groupers and his blog seems to be well worth the visit. If you go to the ST main forum, it is pretty easy to find. I find it really motivating to read reports like his. (He also has a long post about how he does his training nutrition. It was well worth the read and I might try to replicate some of what he is doing--on the next training cycle).

On other fronts, my wife thinks that IMLouisville in October sounds like a lot of fun. I can't remember, did I post a little while ago about not doing an IM in 2015? I haven't signed up yet but I'm thinking about it. Not sure that my coach is really on board with that plan. If I am in the build for a current IM and still considering signing up for another, perhaps I need some sort of mental health evaluation.....
2014-10-10 6:55 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
By request, and I should have done this sooner.

Link to thread on ST:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Fo...

some chaff to sift through but usually some fun information.

Link to AG winners blog site:

http://twobordens.blogspot.com/2014/10/iMCHoo-1st-amateur.html

Link to his post on his nutririon "plan":

http://twobordens.blogspot.com/2012/07/bordens-bike-brew-5-hour-bot...

Hope this is useful.

2014-10-10 8:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks Jason. For us non-ST users this is much better.

2014-10-11 6:40 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

In light of the discussion about Kona pedictions I have attached a link with the betting odds. Looks pretty wide open on the men's side. So many things could go wrong for a racer in that race there has to be a bit of luck to make it to the finish line without an issue at some point.

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/triathlon/kona-ironman-world-championship

2014-10-11 6:54 AM

User image

Master

Good Morning! Hope everyone is having a great weekend. We're still waiting for the weather to cool off here. Still in the 90's at our house.

I'm hoping to be off the trainer before the race heats up in Kona today. I'll be live streaming it (as long as that is working) and watching movies today. Right now I'm eating my QT2 breakfast and getting ready for 5:33 on the trainer. We were out late last night at hubby's high school reunion. Hubby made the comment that I actually looked nice for a change. Probably because this was one of the first times in months that he has seen me with my hair dry and wearing a dress and heels. 

Edited by Catwoman 2014-10-11 6:58 AM
2014-10-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
That was a fun Kona "broadcast." It helped my trainer hours go by faster. Both of the winners had amazing races. Both of them in very different ways. I suspect neither one of them will be able to walk normal for the next week.

I have had my biggest training week in a long time and I still have an hour of swimming and 90 minutes of running left today. No rest for the wicked.
2014-10-12 4:52 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HOLY CRAP WHAT A RUN BY RINNY!!!

2014-10-12 8:09 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I often visualize other runners in my mind when I am out on my own runs. My personal visual is almost always Craig Alexander; I try to make my run look like Craig's, at least in my mind. Well tonight on my long run I was visualizing again and I was trying to run as smooth and fluid as Mirinda Carfrae. Have to say that is the first time that I have tried to pattern my run after a woman, but what a woman to try to run like. It is fun to every once in awhile feel like you actually have the stride and turnover and arm swing right to be running like your visual......
2014-10-12 8:10 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

And yes, 40 seconds per mile faster than the leader for an entire IM run is pretty amazing.
2014-10-13 7:35 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I rode my bike for as many hours last week as I did TOTAL training for the week before. Can you say sore undercarriage?

Feel amazingly good for coming off my biggest volume week for the entire year. Hopefully I can carry this feeling and build fitness for another 3.5-4 weeks before taper.
2014-10-13 12:20 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster I rode my bike for as many hours last week as I did TOTAL training for the week before. Can you say sore undercarriage? Feel amazingly good for coming off my biggest volume week for the entire year. Hopefully I can carry this feeling and build fitness for another 3.5-4 weeks before taper.

11.5 hours on the bike for the week! Holy sh#t!  I suspect you will be ready for IMAZ. Nice work.

2014-10-13 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by wannabefaster I rode my bike for as many hours last week as I did TOTAL training for the week before. Can you say sore undercarriage? Feel amazingly good for coming off my biggest volume week for the entire year. Hopefully I can carry this feeling and build fitness for another 3.5-4 weeks before taper.

11.5 hours on the bike for the week! Holy sh#t!  I suspect you will be ready for IMAZ. Nice work.

Have to agree. At half that I think I am doing well.

Speaking of cycling, I have a route that I like to do every 3-4 weeks as a make shift time trial. It is just shy of 18.5 miles and only two hills. I generally give it a go after a day or two off just to see how my speed is progressing. Three weeks ago I turned it at 18.7 mph and was happy with that. In the weeks since I have thrown in a few longer rides 35-45 miles along with my regular rides.

So today I hit it hard today after my 45 miler on Friday and came in at 19.5 mph. That is actually the fastest I have turned any ride including my first tri which was a totally flat 12 miles ride at 19.25 mph. Apparently my time in the saddle is paying off.

So I guess that means I am officially all the way back to riding form post accident. The only logical goal now is 20 mph by my birthday in five weeks.

Edited by Stuartap 2014-10-13 4:33 PM

2014-10-13 7:48 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Awesome Stuart! 20 mph will fall shortly!  

2014-10-13 7:56 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart. Very cool. No substitute for time in the saddle. You are reaping the results.

In other news, I am going to lose yet another toe nail after yesterday's run. Bummer. Endurance sports sure does result in ugly feet (at least for me).

I had to break down and order another pair of Hokas. My newer pair is from early last season and the upper is starting to separate from the midsole. Bummer. I had heard of this happening but this is the first time I have had an issue with them. I still have my original pair of Hokas that I bought in early 2011 and still use them for some runs. I ordered the new Hoka Clifton from Zappos. I will give them a try on the treadmill before I decide keep them or get a third pair of Bondis instead. With my recent plantar fascia woes the Hokas have been getting a much heavier work load than usual.

I also found a pair of Saucony Kinvara 4s for $42. I think I like the 4 even better than the Kinvara 5 so this is a total bonus for me.

I was good for awhile with my running shoe purchases but the closet was starting to look a little bare. Can't have that.
2014-10-13 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason sorry to hear about the toenail. Is it the shoes, the time in the shoes or ???

I have a horrible time finding a good shoe fit. I have narrow feet that most companies don't make and short arches (my arch actually fits like a size 10 but wear size 12s). I have tried various shoes and insoles but nothing that works so well that I have a go to combo. When I do find something that works I wear the shoes to death. As I start to run more it is a bigger issue.
2014-10-14 9:59 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Stuart. Very cool. No substitute for time in the saddle. You are reaping the results.

In other news, I am going to lose yet another toe nail after yesterday's run. Bummer. Endurance sports sure does result in ugly feet (at least for me).

I had to break down and order another pair of Hokas. My newer pair is from early last season and the upper is starting to separate from the midsole. Bummer. I had heard of this happening but this is the first time I have had an issue with them. I still have my original pair of Hokas that I bought in early 2011 and still use them for some runs. I ordered the new Hoka Clifton from Zappos. I will give them a try on the treadmill before I decide keep them or get a third pair of Bondis instead. With my recent plantar fascia woes the Hokas have been getting a much heavier work load than usual.

I also found a pair of Saucony Kinvara 4s for $42. I think I like the 4 even better than the Kinvara 5 so this is a total bonus for me.

I was good for awhile with my running shoe purchases but the closet was starting to look a little bare. Can't have that.

I bought a pair of cliftons but they are still in the box. I'm afraid the toe box might be too narrow.

#fwp
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19326 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.