BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-11-26 11:26 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I agree. Happy Thanksgiving

The other thing that this will force me to do is to actually ride in aero on the trainer. Too often I am guilty of sitting up while riding in the basement. This works the legs but neglects the back, neck and shoulder muscles required for long races down in the aero position. Hopefully this will result in adaptation and greater race day comfort on the bike.

I think the two are mutually exclusive: comfort and aero.

your split times look pretty good to me Not sure how much being "more aero" is going to help.

oh and get a dash saddle. totally comfortable in aero, can't stand sitting upright!

2014-11-26 3:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Wait a minute....

Randee, you went back & got the Dash?!! Which one?

Never mind...she filled me in via FB.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-11-26 8:00 PM
2014-11-27 7:16 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!
2014-11-27 7:54 AM

User image

Master

Happy Thanksgiving!! 

2014-11-27 8:12 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
South Alabama

Happy Thanksgiving all! Got a nice easy 30 minute run in. Longest in weeks as I slowly recover from a lower leg issue...shin splint?

Anyone looking for any specific goodies in all the Black Friday sales?

Hope everyone has a great day.

2014-11-27 9:56 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm going to spin for 45 minutes and run for 30 or so. First run since AZ.

Only plan I have for tomorrow is to drive out and pick up my bike from the shop after it was dropped off by TBT.

2014-11-27 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Randy, was considering the Garmin 910 now that it's 'old technology' and on sale for $265.

But....do I really need it? Not really . My Garmin 410 is fine....I just can't swim in it. I should probably just save that money.
2014-11-28 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Sorry to have been MIA for a while. I had an electrical spike that threw out the display on my all-in-one desktop. So after my tech guy says it's not recoverable I had to order a new computer. Thankfully the HD was fine so I just hooked up an external monitor and work with that. But now that the new one arrived I have the fun task of migrating everything over to the new box. Now if I can just find the discs for all the specialty software I use.

Also smack in the middle of obamacare enrollments. I did presentations for two non-profits to assist their members in how to enroll and how to decide what plans work best for them. I got 32 requests for a consultation in 48 hours. Needless to say I am swamped! BTW - if any of you are needing to enroll and have questions just PM me. I am happy to help educate.

I still haven't read the race reports from AZ but clearly awesome jobs done.

Now back to work.

2014-11-30 7:49 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
1:40 yesterday and an 1:00 today on the trainer, in aero about 80% of the time. Current position is too aggressive for my flexibility. The perceived effort (my HR monitor isn't working) to achieve my goal watts was noticeably more. So, tomorrow a spacer goes back in and I stretch some more......

I feel like I am about 95% recovered from AZ. I feel strangely recharged and ready to get back at it. Probably the fact that I haven't been getting up at 4:30 has helped. Going to have to be careful not to do too much.

I still haven't made it to the climbing gym but I will.
2014-12-02 7:33 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart,

If you are checking in, I have a swim question.....

I have gotten quite capable of doing my training at a pace of around 1:30-40/100. If I go hard for 100s, I can be in the mid 1:20s. However, I don't seem to have another gear to go "really" fast (for me, I'm thinking low teens would be a reasonable goal for an adult onset swimmer like me).

In reading other advice, there seems to be a consensus that swimming all-out 25s on long rest, really concentrating on going fast, is a good way to build speed. Then, once you have that faster pace you can try to translate it to longer and longer intervals. Do you have thoughts on this?

I'm not really thinking that I will ever be truly fast but I would like to try to maximize what I have. Any thoughts would be welcome
2014-12-02 8:44 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
For those that use Infinit or for those who have ever thought about trying Infinit..... today (12-2-2014) is their annual sale. 50 percent off from 11A to 2P EST using the code, infinitsale14.

You can order up to two bags at that price. It is time for me to restock so I'll be ordering for sure.

Their web site:

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

I am in no way endorsing Infinit over any other product. It has worked great for me but I think that most electrolyte drinks are fairly good. Definitely worth trying.

2014-12-02 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Stuart,

If you are checking in, I have a swim question.....

I have gotten quite capable of doing my training at a pace of around 1:30-40/100. If I go hard for 100s, I can be in the mid 1:20s. However, I don't seem to have another gear to go "really" fast (for me, I'm thinking low teens would be a reasonable goal for an adult onset swimmer like me).

In reading other advice, there seems to be a consensus that swimming all-out 25s on long rest, really concentrating on going fast, is a good way to build speed. Then, once you have that faster pace you can try to translate it to longer and longer intervals. Do you have thoughts on this?

I'm not really thinking that I will ever be truly fast but I would like to try to maximize what I have. Any thoughts would be welcome

Jason the premise is valid. You can get the feel of swimming faster. However, for distance swimmers I don't think that's the best bang for your buck. I think the trap here is thinking of speed as a function of high turn over and manic kick. That works fine for sprinters but you are not a sprinter.

You have heard me say (or seen me write to be more precise) that a kick is more for balance and rhythm than propulsion and I stand by that. But you can use the kick to improve your speed. When you increase your kick most people automatically increase stroke speed at he same time. The reverse is not always true. The difference is when you concentrate on the kick as the catalyst you develop a stronger kick and stroke yielding a faster swim than a manic sprint stroke that is unsustainable.

I would look at your regular sets and close each swim with a concerted effort to pick up the pace. Work on driving the legs harder/faster but do not overkick. Dropping the legs too low will actually slow you down and breaking the water on the high side is pointless. Kicking air gets you nothing.

Start by driving all out on the last 25 yards of each swim. You certainly will get the feel in sort order. Then mimic the feel for the last 50 yards instead of 25. What you want to achieve is a stronger kick and pull, not necessarily a faster one.

Eventually do the intentional 'all out' speed in the middle of a swim. Swim the last 25 yards of each 100 yards of a longer swim. So if you are doing a 500 yard swim you will be doing your regular swim for 75 yards and then all out for 25 and repeat x5 for the 500 yards.

My issue with 25 yard sprints is they are not reflective of how you race. You know the saying 'practice what you race.'

2014-12-03 7:50 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Thanks. Sounds smart.

The kick is something that has been sorely lacking in my swim. I am currently trying to add in a sustainable kick to my swimming. Sustainable being the operative word. If I kick too hard it really makes me suck wind and I go faster for 25 and then slower for the rest of the set. I am jealous of people I see at the pool who have a nice, steady, metronomic kick through their whole sets. That is what I am trying to add in.

If I get done with work in time tonight I am going to try to get to the pool. Today is 100 repeats. I will try to do 75 standard and then drive the last 25 to see how that goes. Probably a smarter way to do it because currently I kick well for the first 25 and by the last 25 I am just hanging on and the kick is an afterthought.
2014-12-03 10:25 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Sustainability of a harder or more forceful kick is the hard part. For me the more or harder I kick the quicker I am gasping for air.

My main set in the swim workout was 10X50 Sprint on 1:30....that's alot of rest and I thought this would be a breeze but If I had done more reps I would have had to slow my pace. As the set went on my HR stayed higher during the rest. I messed around with kicking normal, moderate and hard in different reps and didn't see much change. Frankly, when kicking really fast I was fine on the way down the pool but really winded on the way back. Tough to find the balance....I guess finding the most "effective" kick that you can sustain for distance is the goal.

2014-12-03 7:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I swear, I can't win this year!

Gave blood 2 1/2 weeks ago. Started having arm pain the day before Thanksgiving & it progressively worsened. Dr thinks it is phlebitis, but given that I have Factor V, a superficial vein blood clot is a consideration. Waiting on the results of a d-dimer test to help rule that out.

Pretty sure it's phlebitis, but arm is still pretty painful & swollen. I think I'm just giving up until 2015!

Edit: D-dimer results came back and show slight elevation. That means there's a possibility of a clot somewhere that is dissolving. It also could mean that a multitude of other things not clot related (such as infections somewhere, like where I maybe have phlebitis) could cause it to be a smidge high. They want me to go to a vascular doc.

Like I said...I think I'm just going to call 2014 a wash. I'm NEVER sick and this past year I've been the poster child of weird stuff.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-12-04 4:49 AM
2014-12-04 10:33 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

I swear, I can't win this year!

Gave blood 2 1/2 weeks ago. Started having arm pain the day before Thanksgiving & it progressively worsened. Dr thinks it is phlebitis, but given that I have Factor V, a superficial vein blood clot is a consideration. Waiting on the results of a d-dimer test to help rule that out.

Pretty sure it's phlebitis, but arm is still pretty painful & swollen. I think I'm just giving up until 2015!

Edit: D-dimer results came back and show slight elevation. That means there's a possibility of a clot somewhere that is dissolving. It also could mean that a multitude of other things not clot related (such as infections somewhere, like where I maybe have phlebitis) could cause it to be a smidge high. They want me to go to a vascular doc.

Like I said...I think I'm just going to call 2014 a wash. I'm NEVER sick and this past year I've been the poster child of weird stuff.

well, at least you'll get it all over in 1 shot and 2015 is right around the corner!

But really that sucks.

2014-12-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Results are in. Just back from vascular where I had an ultrasound. Have a small clot in a superficial arm vein.

No hospital, no meds (other than my aspirin), just be aware as my risk factor just increased since I've had an event. Was likely caused by giving bood 2 weeks ago. Bummer about that...I like giving blood.

2014-12-05 9:38 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Results are in. Just back from vascular where I had an ultrasound. Have a small clot in a superficial arm vein.

No hospital, no meds (other than my aspirin), just be aware as my risk factor just increased since I've had an event. Was likely caused by giving bood 2 weeks ago. Bummer about that...I like giving blood.

well at least they know what it is.
2014-12-05 7:19 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-glad it is not more serious. Hope everything clears up and you are able to get back at it. 

2014-12-06 11:12 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Beautiful morning here on the Gulf Coast. 65 degrees with little wind when we started riding this morning. 50 mile ride and 20 min run......done by 10:00am. Few errands to run then settling in for some football.

Roll Tide!

2014-12-07 8:46 AM

User image

The sun looks a little brighter today!!

The swelling and pain in my arm has decreased dramatically over the past 48 hours. It's been just over 2 weeks since it first started swelling. They said that my body would probably dissolve the SVT on its own in 2-3 weeks. Looks like they may be right. That makes my HAPPY.

Signed up for a 5K/10K double dip in late February (5K on Saturday which I'll do with my sister and her daughter and a 10K on Sunday which I'll do with both my sisters), and am looking at this year's tri calendar since all race prices increase on Dec. 15th. I did not sign up for Augusta 70.3 this year and am going to stick to my guns on it. I'm going to focus on getting better at the Olympic distance and really build that base so that in 2016, perhaps I can have a standout 70.3 on the heels of that.

There are 4 Olympic distances within 30-60 minutes in the area over the summer (May, June, August and September) as well as 6 sprints (March, May, June, July, August, September). I may also travel home to Ohio over the summer and do one Olympic there as well. I won't do ALL of the available races, but will take my $350 Ironman Augusta entry money and get as much bang for my buck as I can.

I think it might bring a little more 'fun' back into training not HAVING to go run 11 miles on a 97degree Thursday afternoon in August.

On that note, I'm going to go for a little 3 mile run, walk my dogs, do some yoga and enjoy the day.

2014-12-08 7:18 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nancy,

Glad to hear that things are looking up.

Your plan to do as many sprints and Olympic races as you can sounds like a great on to me. Racing nearly every weekend is really fun and you can use races to build some great high end fitness. I need to spend some time looking for local races........

I am currently my own coach for the first time in four years. I still love "my" coach but last season got to feeling a little too much like a job and less like a hobby that I was doing for fun. I want to see what happens if I'm creating my own plan. it may be great or it may be a disaster but it will all be on me. I will say that it is fun to just go out and run because I want to and not because it is assigned work. I will have to pay careful attention to not ignore the bike. Before my coach I ran a lot and biked very little. Not a recipe for triathlon success.

2014-12-09 2:35 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-looks like The Ohio State University is headed to the Sugar Bowl.
Should be a good game......but have to say ROLL TIDE! 

2014-12-09 3:28 PM

User image

Originally posted by slornow

Randy,

Do you know what's round on the ends and high in the middle?

O-HI-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Bucks!!
2014-12-11 11:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by slornow

Randy,

Do you know what's round on the ends and high in the middle?

O-HI-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Bucks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmXuNWE9k5c

My favorite version!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19329 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.