BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-09-21 11:19 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Friend of mine was racing in Tahoe. He's disappointed, but apparently will be doing Tahoe next year instead. He just posted this picture on Facebook. It's of T2. He said you could taste the smoke in the air, and many people have been coughing.

(Tahoe smoke.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Tahoe smoke.jpg (37KB - 3 downloads)

2014-09-21 12:32 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I lived for many years in areas prone to brush fires. The air gets very heavy and I would not want to compete in it. Too bad though for those who have trained for years to do this race. I guess that's what happens when the whole state is in a major drought.

Just finished a 30 mile ride. Felt ok. I am trying to pick up my run volume a little but the heart is just not in it. Maybe this week I will do better.
2014-09-21 5:35 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
A little crazy about Tahoe. I feel bad for everyone. It really is an amazing race that took me over the edge of my performance capabilities. I am starting to contemplate a return trip to have another go at it, but who knows if the race will even continue.

I ran today. It was uncomfortable but not much more uncomfortable than I was preop so I will call that a win. I thought my PF was gone but it flared right back up with the resumption of running. It is tolerable but unpleasant. That shouldn't be what stops me from racing in November. The plan is to resume activity this week and hopefully be close to full training load by next weekend.
2014-09-21 5:42 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason-here's hoping you get back to training again by next week; I've got faith!
I had a crappy run this morning, which I've learned is typical for taper week: sometimes you feel good, and sometimes not. My pace was ok, but I just felt out of it. I'm shrugging it off In the afternoon, I had a chance to volunteer at a local kid's tri that was put on by my race team and took place at my school. It was a blast; it was so fun to see 7-year olds with streamers riding, as well as 14-year olds with Specialized bikes and race wheels. I'm glad I got a chance to get out there!
Not much for me the rest of the week; I'm going to do a wetsuit pool swim Tuesday since I haven't put it on in forever. Otherwise, a few workouts here and there before I leave Thursday afternoon/evening for Chattanooga.
I hope everyone has a great week!
2014-09-21 6:27 PM

User image

Master

Jamie- I know you have to be getting really excited about your race this weekend!!

You might want to soak your wetsuit for a little bit and let it dry out before you try to put it on this week. It seems like my wetsuit shrinks over the winter. It also probably has something to do with the fact that we rarely wear a wetsuit in the south. 

Jason- very nice run today- with PF and incision pain. Maybe that is what I need to be able to run your pace. 

Went to the pool this afternoon and the water was really hot. I swam 300 yards and thought I was going to pass out. Someone turned the heater up in the lap pool last night. 91 is a bit warm for lap swimming. 

Hope everyone has a great week. 

2014-09-21 7:55 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-I always feel like crap when tapering for a big race. Standard response from my coach is "I'd be worried if you felt great right now." You are going to have a great race....definitely put in the training and have the experience of IMLOU to draw on. Nice job volunteering at the kid's tri. I did that last year and it was a blast. Thinking about you earlier as we are headed to Greenville this weekend for parent's weekend at Furman.

Jason-hope things are headed in the right direction with your recovery.

Rene-I hate swimming in a hot pool. Just saps the energy out of you.

Stuart-how are you doing with your running post accident?

Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day for me....pretty unusual with my coach. I may go to the pool and splash around to shake out some of the crud in my legs from the weekend 

2014-09-21 8:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Randy- you should know by now to take a rest day from coach when he puts one on the schedule. It normally means something "wonderful" Is coming up pretty soon. Isn't it about time that you had an FTP test?

Am I the only person who takes their rest days? Last week I had a choice of rest or easy spin. I chose a day off because the next time the word rest on the schedule will probably be after AZ.

Interesting observation from my nutritional disaster during this weekends bike workout. Graphic details are in my blog in case anyone is interested. I was looking back at the schedule and my notes from the workouts leading into IMFL12. On almost every long bike wkt. there was a note about my energy/nutrition sinking about 1:30 into the workout. This is still a problem with my current workouts. The pre-race nutrition from the new plan has worked well so far. I may have to make a few more changes in my pre-workout nutrition.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-09-21 8:18 PM
2014-09-21 9:01 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rene-you are so wise....I have a 5 min TT on the bike EARLY Thursday morning before getting on the road. UGH! I think it is payback for picking on coach in my email late last week.   If I do anything tomorrow in the pool it will be very easy.....I know recovery is where we make our gains. 

2014-09-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I feel so bad for the Tahoe people - although clearly it was the right call.

I'm enjoying not having anything really to train for right now :D I'm getting back to the gym trying to strengthen my hips and what not and plan to be back full swing by January.

Rene I find my wetsuit shrinks over the winter too......or maybe it's ME that gets bigger

Have a great day all!
2014-09-23 2:46 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Wow, an incredible morning here with temps in the low 60s overnight. First day we have had like that is months. Now it's only a matter of time before I'm complaining about the cold. Change of seasons is always nice....even if we only have 2 seasons on the coast.

How are our weekend racers doing? Jamie, Nancy.....everything going  well? Ready to rock it?

Jamie-here is a link with lots of coupons for restaurants etc. in Chattanooga. We used to use them all the time when we were spending alot of time in Chattanooga. I think you found some of my favorites when you were up there awhile back. Is Nate doing the race?

http://www.chattanoogafun.com/coupons?coupon=DINING

2014-09-23 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy, thanks for the coupons! I'm feeling pretty good about the race; I'm getting a lot of rest, and I plan to get in a few light workouts before Sunday. If I can just make sure to stay on my nutrition, I'm feeling pretty confident. I'm in much better shape than I was last year, and I don't think I was in bad shape before. I do still have a lot of packing to do, though. Unfortunately, Nate has decided to pull out of the race. He really just never got into training mode this year, and was worried about what might happen if he went into the race with little to no training. It will stink not having him there at the race, we were staying in the same place, but I supported his decision; I didn't want him to get hurt for the sake of pride.

2014-09-23 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Randy...I'm just trying to get close to b 100%. I went back to the doc on Sat. Lower lungs were still rattling, but all other fields were clear. His instructions were to let them heal...nothing strenuous. Gah! I've been walking dogs & doing pilates/yoga, but that's it. To say I feel really, really underprepared is the understatement of the year. I haven't had to take cough medicine (with hydrocodone) the last 3 nights, so that's good. I could sleep for all the coughing the weeks prior.

In the last month, I've had 2 kids (students) diagnosed with MRSA & one hospitalized for that Enterovirus. I've been fighting this off since Labor Day weekend.

So, race day game plan is ....? My training up until Aug 28th was on track. I missed 2 weeks of hard workouts, and I'm tapered out! I think the Garmin will stay home & my day will be based on how I feel. On a positive note...I at least have done this before & I know what to expect. Weather is supposed to be nice. I'm sure no matter the results, that I'll have a day with some positives.
2014-09-24 12:34 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie, Nancy,

Good luck to both of you this weekend. You will both do great.

Do you want to give us your race Numbers to make it easier to find you and follow along?

I have a longer trainer ride on Sunday and will need to live vicariously through you both.
2014-09-24 12:51 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Jamie, Nancy,

Good luck to both of you this weekend. You will both do great.

Do you want to give us your race Numbers to make it easier to find you and follow along?

I have a longer trainer ride on Sunday and will need to live vicariously through you both.

YEP - GOOD LUCK BOTH Nancy and Jamie!!

Hey Nancy - you'll be fine. Like you said you know what to expect! And your legs are well rested and ready to rock!

We're getting ready to leave for FL on Sunday. And NEXT Saturday we are doing the Disney Tower of Terror 10 miler - at 10pm at night (I'm never awake for 10pm so that'll be interesting). I'm getting excited! My cousin made me a peter pan costume out of wicking material
2014-09-24 7:30 PM
in reply to: #5053287

User image

I'm #2086, Nancy Schwertfeger. Don't be alarmed if the run takes eons! Lol
2014-09-25 7:44 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
After two down weeks I can tell that the training is ramping back up. How can I tell this? I am once again, famished. After two weeks of not taking seconds at meals, trying to limit sweets (unsuccessfully) and feeling full for hours after a meal I am suddenly hungry all of the time again. Two full servings at dinner last night. Two hours later I ate about 500 calories of candy and junk. An hour after that, a big bowl of Chex mix with several handfulls of peanuts. This morning I ate my normal breakfast and by 8:30 I'm starving.

I am fairly fortunate that my body has a well-defined set point when it comes to weight. I pretty much weigh between 145 and 155 no matter what. When my activity goes down so does my consumption. My wife always asks me what is wrong during taper weeks because my eating drops off so much, usually after months of eating massive amounts

On other fronts, I am experimenting with the "praying mantis" position on my tri bike. My coach was looking at pics from Mont Tremblant and suggested that I move my arms closer together and try out the praying mantis to see if it gets my arms out of the wind. I have to say that so far, on the trainer only, it is very comfortable. I am actually much more able to stay down in aero on the trainer for long periods of time. I'm going to have to get the bike outside and see how it rides in the real world but so far, so good. I actually paid big bucks for a photo capture fit last winter and have been very happy with the results. I need to get back to the fitter for a re-eval before the year is up to see if any fine tuning needs to be done. The problem is, finding the time. The fitter I have been going to is over an hour from home so it takes at least a half day to get out there, tinker with the bike, and then get back. First world problems I guess.

2014-09-25 7:49 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

I'm #2086, Nancy Schwertfeger. Don't be alarmed if the run takes eons! Lol

Hey, that was my number at Tremblant three weeks ago. Hope 2086 treats you well and that you have a great race. We will all be rooting for you.
2014-09-26 6:17 AM

User image

Master

Well that was a fun way to start off the morning. Didn't know I would be wearing my Catwoman crime fighting outfit today.

For years there has been a creepy stalker guy that follows runners around town when the weather starts to get cooler. Two years ago I was able to get part of his license plate. He drives a late model truck with the windows down and pulls up besides runners and stares at them. I've called the police on him several times but they've never been able to catch him in the act. This morning he passed me 3 times within a half of a mile. Even I don't run slow enough to be passed 3 times on a dead end road at 5 in the morning. I ran home and called the police. Then picked up a small knife that hubby got me for running. Not quite sure what I would do with a small knife but it's lighter than running with a gun. Hubby would prefer that I ran with a gun which is crazy as I can't stand running with a fuel belt. lol..

Went back out on my run and saw the police. Stopped and talked to them for a few minutes and kept running. Stalker truck guy passed me again but this time made the mistake of doing so when the police was further down the street where he couldn't be seen. The police car drove back up and asked me if it was the guy. I said yes and the police car whipped around and pulled over the truck further down the road.  Hopefully this has scared the creep and not pissed him off enough to do something worse. Runners in our town have been complaining about this guy for years. NO one is just out driving around at 5 in the morning for the hell of it.

I had an excellent run this morning. Nothing like a little bit of adrenaline to  perk up a morning run. Too bad I didn't hit the interval button when I followed the police car to pull this creep over.

2014-09-26 6:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Catwoman

Well that was a fun way to start off the morning. Didn't know I would be wearing my Catwoman crime fighting outfit today.

For years there has been a creepy stalker guy that follows runners around town when the weather starts to get cooler. Two years ago I was able to get part of his license plate. He drives a late model truck with the windows down and pulls up besides runners and stares at them. I've called the police on him several times but they've never been able to catch him in the act. This morning he passed me 3 times within a half of a mile. Even I don't run slow enough to be passed 3 times on a dead end road at 5 in the morning. I ran home and called the police. Then picked up a small knife that hubby got me for running. Not quite sure what I would do with a small knife but it's lighter than running with a gun. Hubby would prefer that I ran with a gun which is crazy as I can't stand running with a fuel belt. lol..

Went back out on my run and saw the police. Stopped and talked to them for a few minutes and kept running. Stalker truck guy passed me again but this time made the mistake of doing so when the police was further down the street where he couldn't be seen. The police car drove back up and asked me if it was the guy. I said yes and the police car whipped around and pulled over the truck further down the road.  Hopefully this has scared the creep and not pissed him off enough to do something worse. Runners in our town have been complaining about this guy for years. NO one is just out driving around at 5 in the morning for the hell of it.

I had an excellent run this morning. Nothing like a little bit of adrenaline to  perk up a morning run. Too bad I didn't hit the interval button when I followed the police car to pull this creep over.

That's definitely a scary situation, but it looks like you more than handled it! I never really think about safety when I'm running; I usually only have shorts and a pair of shoes, so there isn't much to take and I don't ever think about being stalked. However, in talking with my sisters and my GF about running, I do realize there are a bunch of factors they pay attention to that I never do. Kudos to you on taking care of that creep!

I'm all checked in here in Chattagnooga! I couldn't sleep well last night, and I'm up well before Athlete Check-in, just nerves. My bib number is 1792 and the last name is Roszel if anyone wants to track on Sunday. The weather is looking interesting, there's now a pretty good chance of rain. I'm actually pretty alright with some rain, so long as it isn't pouring; I'll take anything other than 90 degrees and sunny

I hope everyone has a great Friday; I'll check in later!
2014-09-26 6:50 AM

User image

Master

Jamie- I'm so excited about your race this weekend! You're going to crush the course! Have a great race! Can't wait to hear all about it on Monday!

2014-09-26 9:09 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Rene-kick ! You didn't recognize me in my new truck? Jamie-great run on the swamp rabbit trail this morning. Cool and overcast...felt like I was 40. Enjoy yourself. Be confident. You are ready!

2014-09-27 6:18 AM

User image

Master

Nancy- Have a great race this weekend!

Randy- I knew you traveled for your job. Didn't realize that terrorizing runners in my small town was part of your morning  routine. lol.. That must be after your first workout of the day before you drive back to Alabama.

2014-09-27 8:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie/Nancy-good luck tomorrow!

2014-09-28 3:39 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-been on the road all day. Just checking results.

Nancy-7:12 at Augusta 70.3. Good job Nancy!

Jamie is on the run course. Swim 59:14; Bike 6:01.......keep it going Jamie!

2014-09-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: #5053713

User image

I don't recommend being sick the month before a 70.3.

I finished, but man was it rough. Just had zero energy.

Going home, taking a shower & going to bed. Will lick my wounds & do a race report later.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19322 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.