BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-10-29 3:43 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Jason I took my daughter rock wall climbing for her 30th birthday last July. Of all things, that what she wanted to do. We had a great time. The first time was a bit nerve racking but after that it was nothing but fun.

It is interesting how they teach you to bring someone down off the wall. At the time I was over 200# and my daughter soaking wet goes a buck-five. No problems.

You will have a ton of fun I am sure.

2014-10-30 9:54 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
South Alabama

Combo deal for Augusta 70.3 and IMFL next year. Anyone drinking that Kool Aid? I'm kind of tempted but know I would be kicking myself all through the late Summer 2015.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/florida/register/2015-registration-information.aspx#axzz3HdWAS1eP

2014-10-31 8:08 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Looks like a windy and cool day for the folks doing IMFL. Forecast is for lows around 40 overnight with a high of around 60. That's not so bad.....but NNW wind around 20mph gusting higher. Some long stretches into a pretty mean headwind.

2014-10-31 1:21 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Combo deal for Augusta 70.3 and IMFL next year. Anyone drinking that Kool Aid? I'm kind of tempted but know I would be kicking myself all through the late Summer 2015.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/florida/register/2015-registration-information.aspx#axzz3HdWAS1eP

wait, YOU'RE thinking about IMFL? Aren't you the short course only guy?
2014-10-31 1:41 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

The feeling passed and sanity returned.

Maybe one day I'll do an IM.....maybe.

2014-10-31 5:13 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

**cough**IMMT2015**cough**

2014-10-31 7:15 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

**cough**IMMT2015**cough**

The IM Kool Aid should help with that cough..

2014-11-01 8:08 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Swim cancelled for IMFL...rip tides apparently. One of our tri club members said they couldn't even keep the safety boats in place. It didn't look bad on video (the waves are nothing like last year), but apparently under the waves lurks the danger.

TT start at 8:00 for the bike. Going to be a tough day regardless without the swim. Gusting winds 25-30 miles per hour.

2014-11-01 6:53 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

A HUGE thanks to Jason and Randy for texting with me during my 6 hour trainer ride today. My goal for next year is to raise my FTP so I don't EVER have to be on the trainer for that long again. And this is coming from the woman who loves riding her trainer.

2014-11-03 6:56 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master

Where is everyone this week? Hopefully everyone is out training and enjoying the beautiful fall weather.

Jason and I have entered the final few weeks before AZ. Top goal from now until the race is to stay healthy.

2014-11-03 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Catwoman

Where is everyone this week? Hopefully everyone is out training and enjoying the beautiful fall weather.

Jason and I have entered the final few weeks before AZ. Top goal from now until the race is to stay healthy.

Just loitering this past week. Not much happening here.

Now let's see though. IM Tahoe cancelled, the swim in FL cancelled. The monsoon season in AZ is over so you guys should be good to go.

At this point staying healthy is an excellent strategy. I know you guys will do great.

2014-11-03 5:45 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I don't feel that healthy right now. I feel pretty beat up. I hope that a reduced work load for the next 12 days or so lets me heal up a little bit so I can perform on race day. Tired of being this sore and achy.

This has been my hardest season yet because I have had all of these little nagging injuries. Nothing so bad that I have had to stop but I have been moderately sore/uncomfortable for most of my training and racing. I usually look forward to racing, and I am looking forward to this race, but at least partially because I know I need to recover for awhile afterward. Recovery is something I am not usually that good at but I think I will perfect my post race down time this year

Spent last night tuning up the bike as much as I can. Put a 12-25 cassette on. New tires and tubes. Cleaned the drive train. New bar tape. New flat kit.
Tomorrow it goes to the shop for TBT so I am done with it until 11/13 when I can pick it up in AZ.
2014-11-04 1:22 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I don't feel that healthy right now. I feel pretty beat up. I hope that a reduced work load for the next 12 days or so lets me heal up a little bit so I can perform on race day. Tired of being this sore and achy.

This has been my hardest season yet because I have had all of these little nagging injuries. Nothing so bad that I have had to stop but I have been moderately sore/uncomfortable for most of my training and racing. I usually look forward to racing, and I am looking forward to this race, but at least partially because I know I need to recover for awhile afterward.

sounds like the perfect scenario for a PR!
(when you least expect it)
2014-11-05 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Just spoke with my brother in Scottsdale. The weather is great and they are not expecting any meaningful change between now and IMAZ. It will be cool in the morning and high 70's in the afternoon. Sounds like pretty good race weather. Plus no riptides in the lake!
2014-11-05 5:55 PM

User image

Master

Stuart, that sounds wonderful. I'm packing a few cold weather items just in case...

Taking today off from training. I'm fighting off a cold and my stress levels are pretty high right now -details in my blog. Hubby is out of town so my plan is to be in bed at 8 tonight.

2014-11-06 12:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Well i hit a very tiny milestone with my running tonight. I have been doing 2-3 minutes fast walk, 1 minute slow run. It was getting too easy so I was extending the run to 90 seconds. Well today I was feeling pretty good so I wanted to see if I could keep a 1 minute walk, one minute run. Well it was feeling real good so I upped the run so I was doing 1 minute walk, 2 minute run.

So this was feeling too easy. So 1 minute walk, 90 second run, 30 second fast run. Now I was feeling it. I did 4 sets that way then finished with a five minute run.

Now all these speeds (walk = 4 mph, run = 5-5.4 mph, fast run = 6-6.3 mph) are very slow in comparison to anyone else here but good for me and where I am at in my recovery. Gives me some hope that I can get to the point where I can do a marathon in 5 hours. Don't laugh!

2014-11-06 5:50 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Stuartap Well i hit a very tiny milestone with my running tonight. I have been doing 2-3 minutes fast walk, 1 minute slow run. It was getting too easy so I was extending the run to 90 seconds. Well today I was feeling pretty good so I wanted to see if I could keep a 1 minute walk, one minute run. Well it was feeling real good so I upped the run so I was doing 1 minute walk, 2 minute run. So this was feeling too easy. So 1 minute walk, 90 second run, 30 second fast run. Now I was feeling it. I did 4 sets that way then finished with a five minute run. Now all these speeds (walk = 4 mph, run = 5-5.4 mph, fast run = 6-6.3 mph) are very slow in comparison to anyone else here but good for me and where I am at in my recovery. Gives me some hope that I can get to the point where I can do a marathon in 5 hours. Don't laugh!

Great job Stuart......what an accomplishment coming back from your injuries. If you need to take a break from the impact of running but still want to work on run fitness pool running/aqua jogging is an option. Certainly not my favorite but can provide a good workout without the impact of running. 

2014-11-06 1:21 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randee,

I think you were right. I felt so bad on Monday that I couldn't fathom doing an IM in under two weeks. By Tuesday night I was feeling pretty good and now it is Thursday and things seem to be coming around nicely. I'm still not totally OK but I have nine days left for everything to get better and to be race ready. Hard to believe that it has gotten that close.

Stuart,

That sounds like pretty awesome running to me. You will be ready when it comes time to do your IM. I am as impressed by your progress as I am by any thing else that I have ever seen on this board. Very, very inspirational.
2014-11-06 5:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randy I have tried aqua jogging. It just doesn’t hold my interest so I don’t get much from it. Clearly user error! For me it’s like riding on a trainer. If I’m on a bike I want to be rolling outdoors. I think it’s the fishie in me but if I’m in a pool I want to swim.

Right now at least the hip feels fine. If it starts to bother me I may be forced to revisit the idea.

Jason that’s for the kind words. My wife would call it far less inspirational and far more stubborn bullheadedness.

2014-11-09 10:10 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Last couple longer workouts today. Hour run done. 3200 swimming in just a little bit. Then it is just coasting until next Sunday.

Legs are still pretty junky and my swim has not felt great the last few times I have been in the pool. Par for the course I guess.

Plan is to meet up with Rene and her husband. Hang out. Not stress out. Have some fun. Race to my capabilities. If I can hit all of those goals, or even most of them, then it will be a successful season. I was talking to my wife yesterday about stress and IM. The week before my first IM I was a total wreck, so nervous that I was not fun. In the subsequent two, I have managed to enjoy myself, socialize, go out to dinner, shop with my wife, etc. In other words, I have managed to not be a total ball of stress. There is no way to not be incredibly nervous before that first IM (or sprint or Oly, or HIM......) but once you have an idea what is coming, the nerves will be there but it is just so much easier to deal with. Have to remember that we (I) signed up for this and it IS fun

If you are interested in following along a week from today; Jason Adams. Number 177. I think I have an outside shot at breaking 10 hours..... if, and only if, all of the stars align. More likely I will be in the 10 to 10:30 range. Heck, the wheels could always come off and I could be walking in at 15:00. No matter how it goes, the season will be over and it will be time to relax (and start really planning next year).
2014-11-09 10:17 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Stuartap

Randy I have tried aqua jogging. It just doesn’t hold my interest so I don’t get much from it. Clearly user error! For me it’s like riding on a trainer. If I’m on a bike I want to be rolling outdoors. I think it’s the fishie in me but if I’m in a pool I want to swim.

Right now at least the hip feels fine. If it starts to bother me I may be forced to revisit the idea.

Just to put it out there. I have ordered two new pairs of Hoka One One shoes in the last month. A pair of Stinsons and a pair of Bondi Bs. This brings my total pairs of Hokas to four. I have run in nothing but Hokas for the last six weeks because of how bad my PF has been and I am improving in spite of putting in some fairly good mileage.

I would think that the ultra-cushioned platform of the Hoka shoes might be very effective in reducing the stress on your hip. Not really trying to sell you shoes but I am impressed by my own experience as well as the testimonials of many in the forums both here and on ST. If you do decide to look at them, runnerswarehouse has been having a 50% off sale on last years shoes. You will never get them cheaper. I got the Stinsons for $67 which made then very worth trying (and they may be my favorite Hokas so far).

2014-11-11 5:51 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang! Well, Jason and Rene are tapering for IMAZ. How is everyone else doing?  

2014-11-11 2:17 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Hey gang! Well, Jason and Rene are tapering for IMAZ. How is everyone else doing?  

I'm in between "I don't want to do anything" and "I'm going to start IM training soon."

so in a word: inconsistent!

meh. It was 64 degrees today (unusual and probably the last decent day until April) so I snuck out for a lunchtime ride. YAY. Riding because I want to and not because I have to!!

I'm super excited for Jason and Rene though! Watching other people race makes me feel like I'm doing something - so GO TEAM!!
2014-11-11 6:17 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart

Here is a thread about running after hip relacement from slowtwitch.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=41911...

I thought you might want to look through it to see what some other folks have done. Opinions are all over the place, from, "never run again" to, "I run faster after hip replacement than I did before."
2014-11-11 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm desperately trying to find motivation & consistency again. My husband left Sunday for 2 weeks in Santiago, Chile and 2 weeks in Buenos Aires (yes, I'm jealous), so am using his absence to get myself focused, eating well, and running regularly.

Looking forward to following IMAZ!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19335 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.