BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-11-12 7:34 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Nancy.

Someone posted recently about just doing whatever you could do, whenever you could do it. Basically the premise was that if you have 20 minutes you can build fitness in little chunks. 20 minutes of running (5 minute warmup, 12 minutes harder, 3 minutes cool down--you might not even get sweaty enough to need a shower), 20 minutes on the trainer or even 20 minutes of all out work in the pool (which is more like and hour and 20 for me with the travel time). Sometimes I think we feel like we only have 20-30 minutes and that it isn't worth it. Instead, use that 20 or 30 minutes to get a little sweat going. It is kind of freeing to know that you only have to hit it for 20 minutes. Who knows? Maybe it feels so good that 20 minutes becomes 40 or longer. Sometimes getting started is 90% of the battle.

I am all packed for AZ. Holy cow! Do I ever have a lot of "stuff" packed. Our flight is at 8:15 tomorrow and the adventure begins. I'm beginning to feel really good. Taper seems to be almost perfect so far. Not all of the junk is out of my legs, which I am happy for. Sometimes I have felt a little too flat after longer tapers. I seen to be still doing enough work to stay sharp. It feels like things will be right on schedule for Sunday. Hope I'm not deluding myself.

2014-11-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Stuart

Here is a thread about running after hip relacement from slowtwitch.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=41911...

I thought you might want to look through it to see what some other folks have done. Opinions are all over the place, from, "never run again" to, "I run faster after hip replacement than I did before."

Randy thanks for the link. Much of the same as I have read before and discussed with my doctor. I just have to go with how I feel. My goal is still an IM. I don't want to ever become a runner. I will do what I need to do in order to reach the goal.

My doctor and I have discussed it at length. He is on board with the program but I only get one shot at an IM so I have to make it count.

For those going to IMAZ, good luck. I will be watching for the race reports since that is where I think I will be giving it a go. Just in 2016. The weather should be great. Have a great time.
2014-11-15 6:35 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning everyone. NBC is airing its' Kona broadcast of the 2014 race today at 1:30pm EST.

My schedule for today:

Bike workout/easy swim/start big pot of beef vegetable soup/move to couch/watch Kona/watch football/watch football/eat soup/watch football.

I'm tired just thinking about it.

ROLL TIDE!

Jason and Rene...how you guys doing?

2014-11-15 6:48 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Good morning everyone. NBC is airing its' Kona broadcast of the 2014 race today at 1:30pm EST.

My schedule for today:

Bike workout/easy swim/start big pot of beef vegetable soup/move to couch/watch Kona/watch football/watch football/eat soup/watch football.

I'm tired just thinking about it.

ROLL TIDE!

Jason and Rene...how you guys doing?

so are you saying you're going to watch football?!

HEH we are doing a top to bottom house cleaning in prep for thanksgiving. I'm dvr'ing Kona just in case :D

2014-11-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: #5066942

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I finally have a plan.

I had such a sucky year just trying to be get over random illnesses that my HIM training was a total crapshoot from week to week. Knowing that in the grand scheme of things one's nutrition is the foundation for success in so many things, I met with a nutritionist Thursday night.

You'd think that I'd have that piece of the puzzle worked out by now, right? She really put things into perspective, and being a fitness professional herself, she was really helpful in helping me come up with a workable plan. So, I'm optimistic that I can shed a few pounds, eliminate brain fog, increase my afternoon energy levels, boost my immune system, etc.

Now, when my husband returns from Chile/Argentina in 4 weeks, I hope he's up for trying new things.

2014-11-15 9:51 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs I finally have a plan. I had such a sucky year just trying to be get over random illnesses that my HIM training was a total crapshoot from week to week. Knowing that in the grand scheme of things one's nutrition is the foundation for success in so many things, I met with a nutritionist Thursday night. You'd think that I'd have that piece of the puzzle worked out by now, right? She really put things into perspective, and being a fitness professional herself, she was really helpful in helping me come up with a workable plan. So, I'm optimistic that I can shed a few pounds, eliminate brain fog, increase my afternoon energy levels, boost my immune system, etc. Now, when my husband returns from Chile/Argentina in 4 weeks, I hope he's up for trying new things.

Nancy-good for you! My nutrition....more like my poor eating habits have been something I have been thinking about alot. I wonder how much I give up in performance by eating too much junk. Is it 1%, 2%, 5% or maybe more.  For next year I am going to be much more focused on eating right and eating better quality foods. If I can pick up 1-2% by eating better that can make a big difference at the finish line. Plus, bottom line it is just better for us. 

2014-11-15 3:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Sorry for the complete silence.

Made it to AZ. We have had a couple very relaxing low key days. Just a few short, punchy workouts in the last two days. I have been having good IM dreams. Hopefully it bodes well.

Met up with Rene and her husband for lunch and dinner yesterday. It was fun to socialize a little.

Bike and transition bags are in.

Nothing left but race day. Plan is to execute the plan, race within my capabilities and have something left to have a powerful run. I'll let you know how it goes.......
2014-11-15 4:14 PM
in reply to: #5067759

User image

Best wishes for a perfect day tomorrow, Jason & Rene!
2014-11-16 11:04 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

They are out on the bike. Swims: Rene 1:33 and Jason 1:13. Nice to get that nuisance out of the way and on to the fun stuff! 

2014-11-16 3:24 PM
in reply to: #5067809

User image

Jason's off the bike & running sub 8 minute miles to start.
2014-11-16 4:37 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Bike:

Jason 5:27

Rene: 6:13

Must be a windy day looking at the splits.....some blazing fast segments and some really slow.

Go guys!

2014-11-16 5:05 PM
in reply to: #5067916

User image

Jason still holding that 8ish pace with 10 miles left to run.

What's Rene's #?
2014-11-16 6:22 PM
in reply to: #5067934

User image

Jason almost finished & he's kicked in the afterburners.

That's a pretty incredible marathon run, particularly if the bike was as windy as we think it may have been.
2014-11-16 6:25 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs Jason almost finished & he's kicked in the afterburners. That's a pretty incredible marathon run, particularly if the bike was as windy as we think it may have been.

Rene Miles #272

Steve Johnson, the coach Jason, Rene and I use finished 1st in M35-39 and 16th overall

Swim:1:02:09
Bike4:45:17
Run3:00:26
Overall8:52:52
2014-11-16 6:33 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason finishes off a great race with a killer marathon. Awesome job Jason.

Swim:1:13:41
Bike5:27:40
Run3:30:55
Overall10:19:06
2014-11-16 7:16 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Jason finishes off a great race with a killer marathon. Awesome job Jason.

Swim:1:13:41
Bike5:27:40
Run3:30:55
Overall10:19:06

SMOKIN!!!

Is this a PR?! Was I right?!!

2014-11-16 8:34 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rene is through 23 miles.....hope she can finish strong.

2014-11-16 9:18 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rene is in 13:00:00. Congrats Rene.

Congrats to Rene and Jason on your accomplishments.

2014-11-17 12:25 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nope. Not a PR. Off by one minute.

I know Arizona has the reputation as an easy course but it was not easy today. Mother Nature decided to have some fun with us and delivered 20-30 mph headwinds for pretty much the entire "out" portion of the bike leg. It got worse as the day went on. The bike was tough. I will freely admit that I did not want to head out for the third loop on the bike. The fact that I was almost 20 minutes off of my best projected bike split took a lot of pressure off when it came to the run. I knew sub 10 wasn't in the cards so I just set the legs at 8:00 pace and kept it there. As usual, it got very tough from miles 14-19. This was a mental htfu run. The tough bike and interruption in my build for this race made the run more difficult than it was the last time I raced here.

I am very satisfied with my performance. I gave all that I had. Really nothing left in the tank at the end. My wife almost took me to medical because I looked so bad. Some pizza, fries, chicken broth and fluids perked me up. I will hurt tomorrow.

Rene had a tough run. Her gut wasn't happy and she felt like she couldn't breathe. A lot of people were having trouble with asthma symptoms. Maybe all of the dust on this course? She ended up in medical for about an hour but walked out on her own two feet. I think she is satisfied with her performance but I'll let her be the final word on that.
2014-11-17 9:07 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Nope. Not a PR. Off by one minute.

I know Arizona has the reputation as an easy course but it was not easy today. Mother Nature decided to have some fun with us and delivered 20-30 mph headwinds for pretty much the entire "out" portion of the bike leg. It got worse as the day went on. The bike was tough. I will freely admit that I did not want to head out for the third loop on the bike. The fact that I was almost 20 minutes off of my best projected bike split took a lot of pressure off when it came to the run. I knew sub 10 wasn't in the cards so I just set the legs at 8:00 pace and kept it there. As usual, it got very tough from miles 14-19. This was a mental htfu run. The tough bike and interruption in my build for this race made the run more difficult than it was the last time I raced here.

I am very satisfied with my performance. I gave all that I had. Really nothing left in the tank at the end. My wife almost took me to medical because I looked so bad. Some pizza, fries, chicken broth and fluids perked me up. I will hurt tomorrow.

Rene had a tough run. Her gut wasn't happy and she felt like she couldn't breathe. A lot of people were having trouble with asthma symptoms. Maybe all of the dust on this course? She ended up in medical for about an hour but walked out on her own two feet. I think she is satisfied with her performance but I'll let her be the final word on that.

solid work my friend - especially given the last few months for you!

And congrats to Rene! Way to push though!!
2014-11-20 10:02 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Back in Michigan and walking around like a 90 year old. I was almost able to walk down stairs this morning like a normal human. Not quite normal but close. Every time I sit down for more than 10 minutes and then stand up I walk like the tin-man from the Wizard of Oz for a few paces.

Still quite satisfied with the race as it went down. Usually by this point I have dissected out all of the places that I could have done more but there just aren't many to be found from Sunday. It is clear that my bike still needs a significant amount of work if I want to race with the front runners but I got the most out of the fitness I had.

I am starting to get itchy to get moving again. I definitely don't have any drive to "train" but I wouldn't mind splashing around in the pool a little bit and maybe some easy stuff on the trainer. Have to go look at the climbing gym like I was planning. What I definitely don't want to do is get back in to it too early. I think I started training too soon after Tahoe last year and never got the physical and mental break I needed. It made this season harder than it had to be.

Hope everyone is doing well.........

I'm going to challenge myself to not gain any weight post ironman/during the holiday season. I read an article in RunnersWorld last night about race weight and watching what you eat. I am often guilty (as Randy said above) of just eating anything whenever I want. I am lean but want to stay that way long-term and watching what you put in is at least as important as what you burn through exercise. Nancy, how is your nutrition adjustment going so far? Do you feel different? Better?

2014-11-20 8:32 PM

User image

Hope everyone is doing well.........

I'm going to challenge myself to not gain any weight post ironman/during the holiday season. I read an article in RunnersWorld last night about race weight and watching what you eat. I am often guilty (as Randy said above) of just eating anything whenever I want. I am lean but want to stay that way long-term and watching what you put in is at least as important as what you burn through exercise. Nancy, how is your nutrition adjustment going so far? Do you feel different? Better?

Jason...it's only been a week since I jumped into something new, but I have to say it's been very, very eye opening. I'm doing minimal training/workouts at this point in time...5 days/week, 30-60 minutes of hard cardio plus additional strength training/dog walks and pilates/yoga. Thus, I really don't have to fuel for BIG calorie crushing workouts.

Anyhow, I'm feeling quite satiated throughout the day which is making following the plan pretty easy. I did have a moment of weakness on Tuesday evening when I was tired, it was dark, and the last thing I wanted to do was chop vegetables. I had a mini-pizza in the freezer which was under my calories left for the day, so I ate it. It was a good reminder that my body likes real food much better. I was pretty bloated and uncomfortable until the next morning.

For this first week, I'm allowed no more than 5 grams of added sugars per day. Funny how you don't crave candy when you don't eat sugar that doesn't occur naturally in food.

I'm allotted a certain number of fruits, dairy, veggies, starchy vegs/grains and fats each day in 4 meals, and we have them spread out through the day in a certain way. I'm supposed to eat two grains/starchy vegs with my lunch, and today I ate only one. At 4:00, even though I'd just had a snack at 2:30, I could tell I'd skipped it.

My nutritionist wrote a book that's a 52 day journal that I'm also following. Each day there are certain goals to check off (I love checking off boxes...it makes me feel successful!! LOL) as well as something new to learn about nutrition, activity, or simply about how one thinks about food, meals, etc. As I said, it's been insightful in the mere week I've been working on it.

I've also slept like a ROCK for the past week.
2014-11-22 9:22 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
IMAZ race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I'm sure I left a lot out of it. I always think later about things I wanted to include. Oh well.
2014-11-26 8:56 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Happy thanksgiving everyone!!!
2014-11-26 9:57 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I agree. Happy Thanksgiving

Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Every year I look at my race pictures and I end up totally irritated by how upright my "aero" position is on the bike. I have definitely not optimized myself aerodynamically and it shows. Of course, every year I adjust the bike to try to get more aero and my body just can't get in to the position and generate power while that aggressive. By the start of the next race season I end up back in my old position. Insane!

So, what to do? I am once again going to try to be "insane" and adjust my position. I'm going to do it by adjusting my position on my old tri bike (which is set up with very close to the same coordinates as my new tri bike). I'm going to fiddle with the settings, have my wife take a pic for evaluation, and then train on the bike. This should give me an idea how the more aggressive position feels. The other thing I am going to do is work on my flexibility so that my body can deal with a more aggressive position. This is the non-insane part of my plan. I am going to try to change something so that I'm not doing the same thing and expecting a differerent result. Of course, if all of this fails, I still have my old bike, with my old fit coordinates, sitting there ready to race. If I can successfully adjust to a more aggressive position over the winter then I will transfer that fit to my Shiv.

The other thing that this will force me to do is to actually ride in aero on the trainer. Too often I am guilty of sitting up while riding in the basement. This works the legs but neglects the back, neck and shoulder muscles required for long races down in the aero position. Hopefully this will result in adaptation and greater race day comfort on the bike.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19336 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.