BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-07-22 4:46 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Originally posted by Stuartap

Thanks to all for the feedback on the tire.
1. When you put the wheel back on did you make sure it's sitting squarely in the dropouts? **Checked and on correctly.
2. Make sure it's not crooked. **Centered properly.
3. Make sure the brakes are not rubbing. **Checked before I rode and again now, no rub.
4. What PSI are you running? **120 psi as I did on my old tires.
5. Did you possibly pinch flat the tube when you put the tire on the rim? **I had the techs at my LBS check it before I put it on the bike just to make sure it didn’t explode in my face when I fully inflated it.
6. If you lift the wheel off the ground and spin it by hand does it spin freely? It is possible to over tighten the skewer. **Seemed to spin OK. I did loosen it just a bit. Will see how it rides tomorrow.
7. The ContiGP4000s, that I use, are a directional tire with a small arrow pointing the proper rotational direction. Not sure about the Conti4000IIs but can't imagine it would make much if any difference if mounted in the opposite direction of the recommended rotation. **Don’t know if there is one or not. Where should I be looking for that?

I know the store will take them back but I don’t want to run them a lot, or mount the front tire, if I am going to return them. My Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp’s will be here before the end of the week. If I am not any happier by then I will throw those on and see if they are any better.

it's time to google for reviews of the new tire and see what others are saying.

either that or as a last resort I'm going with "user error." :p
are you sure you're pedaling in circles? :D

2014-07-22 9:00 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Hey all - I've been MIA lately. Went to the Dr. yesterday because my knee still isn't right. I really like my doctor, he's a triathlete, very active, explains things well, etc. He poked around, didn't feel anything out of place then I had some x-rays taken but won't know the results for a few days. The xray tech did point out what she could only describe as "extra cartilage" around my knee joint, so we'll see what that is, but it was weird that she would mention anything since typically they don't discuss it with you, only the doc does. Oh well, so more rest for me. Getting the gym, just no SBR. Had to can another race, maybe I'll get one more in this year but I'm not sure. Sounds like everyone else is kicking some serious butt though. Keep it up!
2014-07-22 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Randee how can it be user error? I had the tire mount checked. Made sure nothing is rubbing on the tire. I'm riding barefoot. Everything that was suggested here!

2014-07-22 9:59 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee how can it be user error? I had the tire mount checked. Made sure nothing is rubbing on the tire. I'm riding barefoot. Everything that was suggested here!

I almost spit my water at the computer screen!
Stuart 1, Randee 0
2014-07-22 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
So I reseated the tire. Loosened up the skewer a bit and relubed the tire. I did the whole route in 1:00:59. Not quite as fast as before but light-years better than yesterday. I will tinker with it a bit more and see what happens. Thanks for all the input. You guys are the best!

2014-07-22 3:55 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

So I reseated the tire. Loosened up the skewer a bit and relubed the tire. I did the whole route in 1:00:59. Not quite as fast as before but light-years better than yesterday. I will tinker with it a bit more and see what happens. Thanks for all the input. You guys are the best!

how do you lube a tire? no, really?

2014-07-22 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Fine, so I meant the cassette. But I guess if you wanted to you could fill a paint roller with chicken fat and spin the tire in it. The grease might slow down the cracking of the rubber over time if you don't ride much and wear them out before the cracking becomes an issue. Just a thought!

2014-07-22 4:26 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire

I almost spit my water at the computer screen!
Stuart 1, Randee 0

X2 funny! I like the chicken fat reference too. I walk around the house singing the chicken fat song when the commercial comes on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTjejvnBJfUWife hates it.

Stuart, any chance it was really windy the other day?
2014-07-23 6:17 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Fine, so I meant the cassette. But I guess if you wanted to you could fill a paint roller with chicken fat and spin the tire in it. The grease might slow down the cracking of the rubber over time if you don't ride much and wear them out before the cracking becomes an issue. Just a thought!

is the cassette old? really dirty?

if it's old, look at the teeth, are they worn down? are the grooves wider between some more than others? if yes, time for a new drive train. If it's just dirty, get a good degreaser (like Pedro's Orange Peelz) and get a toothbrush and clean it out. Once the chain and the front rings are good and clean, lube it up. Also one other thing - check the links on the chain. Make sure they all bend easily and none of them have seized up. That would slow you down too.
2014-07-23 7:55 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Looks like I am in the market for a good trainer tire. I have resisted buying a trainer-specific tire, instead I just use old tires on the trainer until they disintegrate. However, last night I had my longest lasting "trainer" tire self destruct with one interval left. I was not motivated enough to change the tire and finish the workout so I called it a night.

I'll be calling the local bike shop this morning to see if they have a trainer tire in stock.

Of course the other solution would be to get the bike off the trainer and get in some miles in the great outdoors..... Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

2014-07-23 10:27 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Of course the other solution would be to get the bike off the trainer and get in some miles in the great outdoors..... Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

do this!!

A little excitement last night at my weekly tri series - after taking a wrong turn on the bike (total newbie, right?) out on the run I saw a bear! A FREAKIN BEAR!! He lives there and paid no attention to me or anyone else on the trail. He was just walking along side the trail doing his bear thing.

HA - in my gps data you can totally see where I saw him too

2014-07-23 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Originally posted by wannabefaster

do this!!

A little excitement last night at my weekly tri series - after taking a wrong turn on the bike (total newbie, right?) out on the run I saw a bear! A FREAKIN BEAR!! He lives there and paid no attention to me or anyone else on the trail. He was just walking along side the trail doing his bear thing.

HA - in my gps data you can totally see where I saw him too

Wow, that would be one way to get in a Z4 workout!!!
2014-07-23 11:28 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Got 40 miles in this morning with two great cycling buddies. So great, in fact, that one of them honored the "Cycling Buddy Contract" to let me know that my current pair of FAVORITE cycling shorts is quite see through in the butt crack area. Granted, she didn't tell me until after the ride, but perhaps that was best. LOLOL
2014-07-23 1:01 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-hope you have the tire, wheel and chicken fat thing worked out.

Randee-a bear on the run course? Was he running barefoot? Would he make a good relay partner?

Nancy-truly a good friend you have there.

Got in a swim at lunch. Run this evening. Busy week being on the road a good bit for work and trying to get ready for my road trip. 

2014-07-23 2:20 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Kevin the first day out on the new tires was windy but that is SOP here this time of year. Also, since the route is an out and back, what I lose when going in to the wind I get the benefit of with the tail wind. My times were awful both ways. I think I just need to keep dialing it in. I like the chicken fat song too!

Randee that must have been a fun time, seeing the bear. My only encounter was many years ago when my son & I were on a camping trip. We were leaving Yosemite on the drive home and as we rounded a turn there was a black bear mama and two cubs crossing the road. Mama just topped in her tracks and stared directly at us. She just stood there until her two cubs had safely crossed the road and disappeared into the trees. Then she moved on behind them. The look and the stance made it abundantly clear what she was saying. We were happy to just stop and watch.

Randy I am getting things worked out on all fronts. The only thing about the chicken fat deal is now when I ride by I get an approving nod from little old Jewish ladies. Very odd.
2014-07-23 3:10 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randy I am getting things worked out on all fronts. The only thing about the chicken fat deal is now when I ride by I get an approving nod from little old Jewish ladies. Very odd.

Stuart 2
Randee 0

my grandmother RIP would be proud.

2014-07-24 9:58 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I have OFFICIALLY given up on Adamo.

I went through my pile of saddles in the garage and pulled out an old Terry Liberator pro and so far I think it's the most comfortable saddle I've tried but the nose is a LITTLE to long.

So I just ordered one of these:
http://www.sellesmp.com/smp4bike/en/pro

pricey but if it works I don't care. If it doesn't, performance will take it back.

So there.

I've also been emailing a guy at Cobb and I think he's going to recommend the Randee saddle - go figure, right? I may try that one too. Why not, right? URGH I can't stand it!
2014-07-24 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
One hour ride. ONE HOUR RIIDE! I ain't got to do no stinkin one hour ride!

Finally 0:59:46. Halleluiah! It felt pretty good. I could have gone a little faster I think. But I am going to take it.

Still not sure what was up with Monday's ride but I am going to forget it and move on. Pool time later today.

2014-07-24 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Hey guys. In with my tires I recd today was a wine voucher from nakedwines.com. It is $100 off an order of $160 or more. I know absolutely nothing about them but if anybody here drinks wine and would like the 'card' just let me know. Other than an occasional glass of champagne we don't drink wine at all (and the site does not have champagne). I can PM the codes etc.

2014-07-24 7:37 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-nice job on the ride. Would have hated it if we had given you bum advice on the tires. 

Well, I think I'm packed for the weekend road trip. Seems like I am taking alot of stuff.but dang it takes alot of stuff to do races....much less 2 in one day. Jason, I don't know how you prepared for 4 races. Of course there are the basics that you use for every race but an extra kit, nutrition, back up gear........Be curious to see if my teammates are any better at packing light than I am.

Need to be in Pensacola by 6:20am so it will be an early morning for me as Pcola is about an hour east of me. I will try to check in over the weekend. Take care everyone! 

2014-07-25 7:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Stuart-nice job on the ride. Would have hated it if we had given you bum advice on the tires. 

Well, I think I'm packed for the weekend road trip. Seems like I am taking alot of stuff.but dang it takes alot of stuff to do races....much less 2 in one day. Jason, I don't know how you prepared for 4 races. Of course there are the basics that you use for every race but an extra kit, nutrition, back up gear........Be curious to see if my teammates are any better at packing light than I am.

Need to be in Pensacola by 6:20am so it will be an early morning for me as Pcola is about an hour east of me. I will try to check in over the weekend. Take care everyone! 

kick butt!!!

I'm off today to go ride with a friend. WHEEEEEEEE

2014-07-25 9:30 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Well, for one thing, at TTT you have to wear the same jersey for all four races so that cut down on my packing needs. I didn't smell that good but then again, neither did anyone else.

The other thing was that I was driving a minivan with only me and my tri stuff in it so I wasn't limited at all in what I could take. I essentially put together a duffle bag with everything I thought I would need for each race and transferred the multi use stuff (wetsuits, water bottles, helmet) between bags.

It was a lot of work.

On the family front, my wife and daughter went and picked up a new dog on Tuesday. I don't even want to tell you how many that makes in my house but the neighbors are starting to wonder if we run a kennel....... We have always had big dogs and this is a King Charles Spaniel which is pretty darn tiny. It has created a little uproar in our house but I am sure that things will calm down soon. Whenever you add a beast to the house it unsettles everyone, man and dog alike. This dog was given to us by a breeder. The dog is "perfect" and was her ultimate dog that she thought would get her to the Westminster Dog Show..... Until it developed cataracts at five months of age. He is ten months old now and the cataracts are "stable" but he definitely doesn't see as well as the other dogs. Oh well. My eleven year old daughter is in love and the feeling seems to be mutual so it was/is worthwhile.

I'm getting in to the last two weeks before Steelhead. I look at my logs and it doesn't seem like that much but the intensity is pretty high with each workout and my legs are complaining. A lot! I have a new, interesting, dull ache from my 'bad' right knee that I hope is not anything too serious. I can't tell if it is just the overall ache from the workload or if something real is going on. I have been remarkable, luckily, blissfully injury free. I hope to continue that streak. Fingers crossed.
2014-07-25 1:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Jason...congrats on the new addition. I've drawn my line at 3. 4 would put me over the edge!! I'm fortunate that two of mine are seniors (one is a super senior 15 year old lab mix with Cushing's disease), so those two (Louie and T.C.) tend to sleep a lot. Theyr'e pretty easy. James, the baby at 5, is pretty spastic, but he takes the lead of the older boys and is pretty chill. Still...everyone needs walks every day, and I'm their "go to gal."

By the way...are you in Grand Rapids? I'm not sure why I thought you were...husband is heading up that way next week as he just was hired by an LPGA player and will caddying in the tournament.

Randee...you may as well bite the bullet and get the Randee. It's fate. I'm happy to say that I had my best ride to date a few days ago (minus the butt crack viewing through my apparently see through shorts). I'm optismistic!! Bike fitter raised the front end of my bike up a few degrees and that's made a ton of difference.

Just in from a 7+ mile run. I'm not sure why almost all of my runs have taken place at high noon of late, but it's not a very enjoyable hour of the day for running. Alas, it's done. Off to do my little pilates/yoga workout and then forage for some grub.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Edited by glfprncs 2014-07-25 1:39 PM
2014-07-25 3:53 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nope. Not in Grand Rapids. I'm in the Ann Arbor area, about two hours away. If I were closer I would invite your husband over for dinner and he could see how crazy a house with this many pets is......
2014-07-25 5:41 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason congrats on the new dog. We always have two in the family and more is not uncommon. Good for you guys to step up for a dog that likely didn't have a lot of options.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19329 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.